Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 15, '10, 7:23 pm
Banned

Default Gorgeous pictures of Abbey of Regina Laudis

here:

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/falcet...00IQOa9HH3N3s/

A very unusual abbey, unique in the US. They sing the full office in Gregorian chant (in latin, of course) and sing the mass in Latin, too. I don't know precisely if it's Roman rite or what. The nuns are highly educated. The have constitutional enclosure in which people can visit them but they don't usually go out except for 'important ' things--well, one was visiting an artist's studio--which was willed to the monastery. They have a lot of land, and farm, like Walburga in CO

The picture of the two novices watching their foundress being lowered into her grave is very moving. The funeral mass included Franciscan Srs. of the Eucharist.
Old Apr 15, '10, 8:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gorgeous pictures of Abbey of Regina Laudis

Unless something drastic has happened in the years since I was at St. Walburga's, Regina Laudis is very much in line with Rome. They were the first community of Benedictine women in the U.S. to be raised to the level of Abbey. St. Walburga's was the second. The nuns at the Abbey of St. Walburga pray the office in English, except on Solemnities -- but that certainly may have changed in the 20+ years since I was there

Gert

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 15, '10, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
here:

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/falcet...00IQOa9HH3N3s/

A very unusual abbey, unique in the US. They sing the full office in Gregorian chant (in latin, of course) and sing the mass in Latin, too. I don't know precisely if it's Roman rite or what. The nuns are highly educated. The have constitutional enclosure in which people can visit them but they don't usually go out except for 'important ' things--well, one was visiting an artist's studio--which was willed to the monastery. They have a lot of land, and farm, like Walburga in CO

The picture of the two novices watching their foundress being lowered into her grave is very moving. The funeral mass included Franciscan Srs. of the Eucharist.
Wow! I live about 20 minutes away from there, and I have never heard about it until this year! That's so amazing. Good find, my friend!
Old Apr 15, '10, 8:58 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

These are beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old Apr 15, '10, 9:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertabelle View Post
Unless something drastic has happened in the years since I was at St. Walburga's, Regina Laudis is very much in line with Rome. They were the first community of Benedictine women in the U.S. to be raised to the level of Abbey. St. Walburga's was the second. The nuns at the Abbey of St. Walburga pray the office in English, except on Solemnities -- but that certainly may have changed in the 20+ years since I was there

Gert
No, "Roman Rite" as in the "Roman" in Roman Catholic, vs. Byzantine Catholic or something like that

“I think You’ve gone mad in Your love for us.”
St. Catherine of Siena, to God
Old Apr 16, '10, 9:43 am

What neat pictures from the Abbey!

That is so cool about General George Patton's granddaughter being a nun of Regina Laudis! I knew about Mother Benedict Duss and her World War II experience. Didn't know there were Catholics in Patton's family. [good ol' 'Blood and Guts' ]

I'm surprised there wasn't a picture of Mother Dolores Hart, the former movie actress. She played the role of St. Clare in the film 'Francis of Assisi'.

Man, those nuns work really hard!
Old Apr 16, '10, 9:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertabelle View Post

Gert
I did not mean to imply that Regina Laudis wasn't 'in line with Rome'. i was referring to their rite of the mass-my understanding is that the so-called 'extraordinary ' rite is now called the Roman rite. RL sings all of the office in Latin, I am assuming most or all of the mass also, maybe not including the lessons. This info is on their website.
Old Apr 16, '10, 9:59 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Monaco View Post
Wow! I live about 20 minutes away from there, and I have never heard about it until this year! That's so amazing. Good find, my friend!
Get to know them. You'll be glad you did.
Old Apr 16, '10, 10:02 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb finnegan View Post
What neat pictures from the Abbey!

That is so cool about General George Patton's granddaughter being a nun of Regina Laudis! I knew about Mother Benedict Duss and her World War II experience. Didn't know there were Catholics in Patton's family. [good ol' 'Blood and Guts' ]

I'm surprised there wasn't a picture of Mother Dolores Hart, the former movie actress. She played the role of St. Clare in the film 'Francis of Assisi'.

Man, those nuns work really hard!
Yes, their work ethic is very striking. Rise at midnight--full office, including Matins, maybe Prime? Farming, cheesemaking, husbandry of the land. They have interns and a lot of hospitality. Walburga in CO also farms--both of them in a tough northern climate. They do accept--RL, that is--older vocs, I think, but stamina is definitely a must.
Old Apr 17, '10, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
Yes, their work ethic is very striking. Rise at midnight--full office, including Matins, maybe Prime? Farming, cheesemaking, husbandry of the land. They have interns and a lot of hospitality. Walburga in CO also farms--both of them in a tough northern climate. They do accept--RL, that is--older vocs, I think, but stamina is definitely a must.
Ora et labora -- Work and pray. That is the Benedictine motto, for lack of a better word.

Back in the days when I was investigating contemplative communities, however, I never found a single community that didn't have an intense work and prayer ethic. Poor Clares, Carmelites, Benedictines (the orders I visited) -- all of them had a schedule that would try the stamina of the most well-trained athelete But when that life is embraced for the love of God and the salvation of souls, the burden is light.

Anode, is Regina Laudis a community you are considering for yourself?

Gertie

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations