Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 23, '05, 10:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: A Mirror to Our Own Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I can't understand why they cannot see the slippery slope in front of them? It's been a very orderly progression. First contraception to married couples who have health considerations, then to any married couple, then to anyone. Then abortion in extreme cases, then abortion on demand. Now euthanasia is going public. It's been going on behind the scene for years.
Lisa N
It is worse than that.

In the secular (or lukewarm Christian) worldview-- they sadly believe that if even they themselves were in Terri's place: their life would not be worth living.

They really have no grasp of the transcendant significance of being alive (regardless of what condition you're in); and they have no grasp of the eternal significance of dying a natural death.

And rastell you are exactly right!
We will not despair. We will keep her in our minds and hearts and we will learn how to open peoples eyes and hearts about their own (and other's) worthiness in the Love of God.
Luke 24:35
Old Mar 23, '05, 10:05 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagiaSophia
From Cal Thomas column:

The Schiavo case should not be viewed in isolation. It is part of a flow that began in modern times with abortion-on-demand and will continue, if not stopped, with euthanasia. Once a single category of life is devalued, all other categories quickly become vulnerable.

Girls who became pregnant by a drunken father and sought abortions were the symbolic beginning of a process that has resulted in abortion for any reason at any stage. Now we are targeting the infirm, and soon the elderly will be in our sights because of the pressure on Social Security and Medicare. The "reasoning" will be: rather than raise taxes, reduce benefits or raise the retirement age, let's eliminate those who are the biggest "drain" on retirement resources - that is, the elderly and infirm.
Having been conditioned to accept killing, even killing by the state according to an arbitrary standard of who is "fit" to live and who is not, it will be a short step to killing Grandma and Grandpa in their "assisted living" centers, which quickly will be transformed into centers for assisted dying.

Someone will produce a document or hearsay testimony that the elderly person would have "wanted to die" in such circumstances and never intended to be a "burden" to their children. The lawyer will be called, the will read and the inheritance distributed. It will be larger than what would have remained had it been spent on the recently departed.
These are the stakes, and how the Schiavo case is decided will determine what many of us will face in the future.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/c...20050321.shtml
This is already happening. Many nursing homes are either assisted death facilities or places to put grandma so we don't have to deal with it anymore - an effective spiritual death.
Old Mar 23, '05, 10:25 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetemplars
"I can't understand why they cannot see the slippery slope in front of them? It's been a very orderly progression. First contraception to married couples who have health considerations, then to any married couple, then to anyone. Then abortion in extreme cases, then abortion on demand. Now euthanasia is going public. It's been going on behind the scene for years."

And that is the biggest mistake in this travesty. Mixing contraception, abortion, homosexuality, virtually ever moral issue that is irrelevant in this case.
Michael Schiavo can be very comfortable knowing that all the arguments against execution of Terri are specious and irrelevant. And that's what the court sees - irrelevancy of the argument.
The defense attorneys should have been canned a long time ago. They are incompetent. They have aligned themselves with the lame, lazy and the crazy in this case such that most rational people never perceive the real issue.
My prediction is that Terri will die. And those who purported to "defend" her are to blame. Not Michael. Not the Judge. But the ones who have masked this case in counter productive initiatives which only lead to her death. And die she will.
What is your point? The things mentioned are all interrelated. The contraceptive mentality, or sodomistic mentality, is what has given rise to abortion, euthanasia and other evils. That so many do not see the connection does not mean it is not an authentic connection it only means we need to express ourselves better and it means we all have darkened intellects due to practicing these evils and not seeking confession.

Last edited by fix; Mar 23, '05 at 10:36 am.
Old Mar 23, '05, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This is already happening. Many nursing homes are either assisted death facilities or places to put grandma so we don't have to deal with it anymore - an effective spiritual death.
So very true. Perhaps God is using terri, this victim soul, to awaken us to the culture of death we all seem to embrace as good.
Old Mar 23, '05, 10:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix
What is your point? The things mentioned are all interrelated. The contraceptive mentality, or sodomistic mentality, is what has given rise to abortion, euthanasia and other evils. That so many do not see the connection does not mean it is not an authentic connection it only means we need to express ourselves better and it means we all have darkened intellects do to practicing these evils and not seeking confession.
YES!

thetemplars,
and yes, I definitely blame Michael and the judge, and the culture of death. But I do not blame Terri's defense team. After fighting this battle for 15+ years-- how can we blame them for doing a little straw-grasping??!!! Look at what they've been up against!!! ( )

Luke 24:35
Old Mar 23, '05, 10:46 am

Religion: Catholic convert 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix
So very true. Perhaps God is using Terri, this victim soul, to awaken us to the culture of death we all seem to embrace as good.
Although there are certainly people who consider the "culture of death" as good, there are far more--in fact, the vast majority--who are simply indifferent to it, or else just plain ignorant. Hey-not-my-issue-today-not-my-concern-who-cares attitudes are prevalent. How many people in this country even receive any kind of religious/moral upbringing? There are very few people who really go to a religious service with any regularity, even among Catholics (only 25% of all Catholics attend Mass every week?!) People no longer know what is right and what is wrong--it's whatever you want it to be (there's your outcome-based education for you!) With many issues, unless it personally touches your life or that of a loved one, then it is a non-issue.

I have co-workers (young people, mostly) who are completely oblivious to what's going on in Florida. Their only concern in life seems to be who's been eliminated on that American Idol tv show.

And that's why we have the "frog in the pot of boiling water" problem when it comes to moral issues in this country. By the time the majority wake up and smell the coffee, they're already "cooked."

What really boils me is that the same people will be standing there wailing to the heavens, "How could God allow this to happen?" the day He decides to chastise the U.S. for its crimes (and He will.) I mean, they just won't get it--and I know, because the same thing happened on 9-11. They just didn't get it.
I know that the Lord maintains the cause of the afflicted, and executes justice for the needy. (Psalm 140:12)

Thou shalt not steal . . . the government hates competition!

Tiber Swim Team, Class of 2002
Old Mar 23, '05, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry
Although there are certainly people who consider the "culture of death" as good, there are far more--in fact, the vast majority--who are simply indifferent to it, or else just plain ignorant. Hey-not-my-issue-today-not-my-concern-who-cares attitudes are prevalent. How many people in this country even receive any kind of religious/moral upbringing? There are very few people who really go to a religious service with any regularity, even among Catholics (only 25% of all Catholics attend Mass every week?!) People no longer know what is right and what is wrong--it's whatever you want it to be (there's your outcome-based education for you!) With many issues, unless it personally touches your life or that of a loved one, then it is a non-issue.

I have co-workers (young people, mostly) who are completely oblivious to what's going on in Florida. Their only concern in life seems to be who's been eliminated on that American Idol tv show.

And that's why we have the "frog in the pot of boiling water" problem when it comes to moral issues in this country. By the time the majority wake up and smell the coffee, they're already "cooked."

What really boils me is that the same people will be standing there wailing to the heavens, "How could God allow this to happen?" the day He decides to chastise the U.S. for its crimes (and He will.) I mean, they just won't get it--and I know, because the same thing happened on 9-11. They just didn't get it.
I agree and must add a big part of the problem is our darkened intellects due to sin. How long can we continue to engage, and teach others to engage, in grave sin and call it virtue. This deadens us to the Truth.
Old Mar 23, '05, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetemplars
"I can't understand why they cannot see the slippery slope in front of them? It's been a very orderly progression. First contraception to married couples who have health considerations, then to any married couple, then to anyone. Then abortion in extreme cases, then abortion on demand. Now euthanasia is going public. It's been going on behind the scene for years."

And that is the biggest mistake in this travesty. Mixing contraception, abortion, homosexuality, virtually ever moral issue that is irrelevant in this case.
Michael Schiavo can be very comfortable knowing that all the arguments against execution of Terri are specious and irrelevant. And that's what the court sees - irrelevancy of the argument.
The defense attorneys should have been canned a long time ago. They are incompetent. They have aligned themselves with the lame, lazy and the crazy in this case such that most rational people never perceive the real issue.
My prediction is that Terri will die. And those who purported to "defend" her are to blame. Not Michael. Not the Judge. But the ones who have masked this case in counter productive initiatives which only lead to her death. And die she will.
And you have done what?
Old Mar 23, '05, 11:18 am

Send a message via Yahoo to maggiec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley
l think we left the slippery slope behind some time ago. We are in moral free-fall.

And free-falls end in a big smash.
You are so right. The only way to put on the brakes is for the silent majority to get off the couch and DO SOMETHING.
maggiec

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005