Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 26, '10, 12:31 am
i need helpp i need helpp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2010
Posts: 202
Religion: De Facto Atheist
Default Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

i Believe interracial dating / marriage is Not a sin I'm White, but i've been attracted to all races of girls, Now im attracted to a Hispanic/Black Girl i Don't Believe interracial dating / marriage is a sin but is it? i don't know shes so beautiful it's like shes an angel from heaven <3 (:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 26, '10, 12:33 am
MarkThompson MarkThompson is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 22, 2010
Posts: 5,330
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i need helpp View Post
i Believe interracial dating / marriage is Not a sin I'm White, but i've been attracted to all races of girls, Now im attracted to a Hispanic/Black Girl i Don't Believe interracial dating / marriage is a sin but is it? i don't know shes so beautiful it's like shes an angel from heaven <3 (:
Nope, definitely not a sin. I don't know anyone who says it is, except a few fundamentalist Protestant types (e.g., Bob Jones University). Go get 'er my friend!
__________________
Qui meditabitur in lege Domini die ac nocte, dabit fructum suum in tempore suo.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 26, '10, 12:59 am
JReducation's Avatar
JReducation JReducation is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2007
Posts: 20,187
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

No Mark, I'm not following you around. It seems that you and I have the same curiosities. Now to the OP. Let's get some details straight. Interrracial dating and even marriage is not a sin. It has never been a sin to the best of my knowledge. Not being a historian, I won't say that with my hand on the bible. But the little Church history that I have studied, I don't think so. St. Augustine was bi-racial and Monica became a saint. She was married to a white caucasian man. No one is really sure of her racial background, because that region of North Africa is inhabitted by both caucasians and black people. Most are caucasian of Arabic extraction. But that may not have been the case back then.

Second, you say that you're in love with an Hispanic girl. Hispanic is a language group, not a race. Only in the USA are we so ignorant that we classify Hispanics as a race. They are not even an ethnic group, because they don't all share the same culture. If you ever told a Spaniard, Columbian, Cuban and an Argentine that they were the same ethnic group, they would laugh at you.

The Spaniards are caucasians of Jewish, Arabic, and Roman background. The South Americans are European, Native Americans, Black or mixed. The European extractions are as many as we have in the USA, with the Spanish and Portuguese being dominant, but not exclusive. Most Argentines are either German, English or Italian, the Spanish make up the smallest number since WW II.

Hispanics are also separated by language as are the English speaking countries. Puerto Rican Spanish is to Uraguayan Spanish what American English is to Irish English.

I believe that we have been influenced by fundamentalist Protestantism, which was once very racist and grouped people into social classes by color, national origin and language. But they seem to have been much more influential in the USA than in other countries, because we have some very strange "racial and ethnic" classifications. Notice the quotation marks. Ask a Scilian if he belongs to the same ethnic group as a Roman or a Milanesse. Be ready to run.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
__________________
Fraternally,

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."


What's the IQ required to enter heaven?

I'm over here
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 26, '10, 2:33 am
Theresa Duyen's Avatar
Theresa Duyen Theresa Duyen is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 20, 2010
Posts: 24
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Theresa Duyen Send a message via Skype™ to Theresa Duyen
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i need helpp View Post
i Believe interracial dating / marriage is Not a sin I'm White, but i've been attracted to all races of girls, Now im attracted to a Hispanic/Black Girl i Don't Believe interracial dating / marriage is a sin but is it? i don't know shes so beautiful it's like shes an angel from heaven <3 (:
Who told you that liar? I think even a kid can see it not a sin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 26, '10, 3:44 am
willofgods's Avatar
willofgods willofgods is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 12, 2010
Posts: 452
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

If interracial marriage was a sin, my Irish-American grandpa would never have been allowed to marry my Filipina grandma through the Church. The priest would have not allowed it. Fortunately for me, they did get married and had kids and one of those interracial kids had a son (yours truly ) with a Colombian woman (enough culture mixing yet?). So if interracial/inter-cultural marriage is ok, so must be dating!

Here's a nice quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
360 Because of its common origin the human race forms a unity, for "from one ancestor [God] made all nations to inhabit the whole earth"


Just remember, the most fulfilling relationship is one that brings you closer to God!

P.S. As a white guy, watch out for little cultural differences...sometimes they make a big difference
__________________
Where can we look for answers? The Spirit points us towards the way that leads to life, to love and to truth. The Spirit points us towards Jesus Christ. In him we find the answers we are seeking.
Ô Marie, conçue sans péché, priez pour nous qui avons recours à vous.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 26, '10, 7:51 am
LindaSK LindaSK is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 26, 2008
Posts: 1,680
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willofgods View Post

Here's a nice quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
360 Because of its common origin the human race forms a unity, for "from one ancestor [God] made all nations to inhabit the whole earth"


Just remember, the most fulfilling relationship is one that brings you closer to God!
I think too many are unaware of the beautiful wisdom to be found in the CCC.


Love is wanting the best for each other, that being to get the other to Heaven. Father Corapi did a great talk on it, but, I can't remember which one.

God bless,
Linda
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 26, '10, 8:07 am
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i need helpp View Post
i Believe interracial dating / marriage is Not a sin I'm White, but i've been attracted to all races of girls, Now im attracted to a Hispanic/Black Girl i Don't Believe interracial dating / marriage is a sin but is it? i don't know shes so beautiful it's like shes an angel from heaven <3 (:
Some people believe this because they are racist bigots. They are afraid of all sorts of stupid things like watering down of a race, confusing children by mixing cultures, just plain idiotic stuff.

My mother is white, she is married to a black man. They live in the south and often get looks from people, but for the most part they don't have any problems. I've never known any man (outside of my own father) who loved my mother so much - why in the world would anyone want to deny her that happiness because his skin is darker than hers? It makes no sense.

Go for it - if you like her, date her! Some close minded people may give you a sideways glance, but just don't get it get to you, it's not worth it.

~Liza
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 26, '10, 8:40 am
stuart12's Avatar
stuart12 stuart12 is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: December 13, 2007
Posts: 647
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

The prohibition against 'interracial' marriage in the Old Testament is based upon religion and not 'race'. In fact, in Scripture, all men are descended from Adam.

It would be inappropriate to marry someone of another faith.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 26, '10, 8:55 am
chris molter chris molter is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 1,102
Religion: Catholic (Anglican)
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Most people who believe this do so because that's what they were taught was right, not because they are evil bigoted racist scumbags. Sadly, when you're taught to think this way from early on, it's not an easy thing to overcome. People stuck in this way of thinking (which is counter to what the Catholic Church teaches) need our prayers and support to help them see that what they were taught was incorrect.

(by the way, the term "recovering Catholic" is highly offensive and suggests that Catholicism is something awful like alcoholism or drug addiction. I hope you'll reconsider having such an inflammatory thing on your profile here.)
__________________
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '05
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 26, '10, 9:03 am
mommamaree's Avatar
mommamaree mommamaree is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 24, 2010
Posts: 3,515
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

We have interracial married couples with children in our parish. I don't see how anyone could see that as a sin, especially when they have a shared faith to strengthen their marriage. As far as interracial dating, well, how would one discern marriage with a potential spouse without dating? So I don't think interracial dating/marriage is sinful. I think it is wonderful, and a testimony to how our faith in Christ can help overcome cultural barriers and heal from wounds inflicted by racism. Isn't that a good thing, especially here in the Deep South where I live?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 26, '10, 9:16 am
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

I don't know why people say this, you would have to ask them, on the forum of their religion, because it is not a Catholic teaching. Why not try the non-Catholic religions forum and ask if anyone there has been taught this in their Church?
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 26, '10, 9:52 am
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris molter View Post
(by the way, the term "recovering Catholic" is highly offensive and suggests that Catholicism is something awful like alcoholism or drug addiction. I hope you'll reconsider having such an inflammatory thing on your profile here.)
Thank you for pointing that out - I was thinking the same thing.

~Liza
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 26, '10, 11:01 am
JosephdeMaistre's Avatar
JosephdeMaistre JosephdeMaistre is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 23, 2010
Posts: 58
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

It's not a sin to date someone of another race, and it's not a sin to only date someone of your race.

Personally, I only date white women. I think being white is just as beautiful as being black, so I'd like to keep my family white. I don't hold it against black Catholics who wish to keep their children black, just like all of their ancestors have been.

This issue reminds me of St. Paul's statement on circumcision. Either circumcise, or don't. It makes no difference. You might paint your door red, while I paint my door blue. There's no inherently right or wrong choice.

I don't know who says interracial dating is a sin. It's not. The only question is: what is best for you and your family? Do you want your children to be white, or not? If it doesn't matter to you, by all means, do what you wish.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 26, '10, 2:04 pm
choy choy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 7, 2009
Posts: 3,004
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

in the Old Testament, the Jews were forbidden to intermarry with other races not because its outright a sin, but becase all the other races were pagans. intermarriage either draws the particular Jew out of the Jewish faith and into pagan practice, or introduces pagan practices into the Jewish community

when Jesus came, the necessity of this is gone because Jesus opened the message of God to everyone in the world. thus, if you marry someone of another race, they could be Christians or easily converted into Christianity
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 26, '10, 2:18 pm
Tina1970's Avatar
Tina1970 Tina1970 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Posts: 1
Religion: Christian
Cool Re: Why do People say interracial dating is a Sin?

Not it is not a sin at all. God created man/woman in His image. we are all people of color, none of us is "white" which means without color lol. When our skin is removed, we are all the same color underneath, PINK! lol. Anyone who believes it is a sin needs to check their heart with Jesus!
Only thing that isn't a good thing is being in a relationship/marriage with someone who it's a Christian. That is only because it causes problems and you are not of one mind>>Jesus!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8540Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5201CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3870SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3840Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3399Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3301Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3152For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:03 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.