Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 26, '10, 12:41 pm

Default Is it against the Catholic Church teachings to date a bisexual?

Hello, I tried looking this question up, but to no avail, couldn't find an answer. I'm just curious, I know the Church's position of homosexuality, but not bisexuality. Would it be wrong for a Catholic straight male to date a bisexual, if the bisexual was of the opposite sex (so for us guys, a girl, vice versa)

Just curious, thought of the scenario and wanted to see the Church's position. Thanks guys!
Old Apr 26, '10, 12:47 pm

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!
Default Re: Is it against the Catholic Church teachings to date a bisexual?

It would be unwise to date anyone who approves of sexual immorality. On the other hand, if this "bisexual" feels temptations toward wrongful sexual behavior (including homosexual immorality) but recognizes that they are wrong, tries to resist these desires and does not act on them, you would not be doing anything wrong in dating the person.
Old Apr 26, '10, 2:01 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Monaco View Post
Hello, I tried looking this question up, but to no avail, couldn't find an answer. I'm just curious, I know the Church's position of homosexuality, but not bisexuality. Would it be wrong for a Catholic straight male to date a bisexual, if the bisexual was of the opposite sex (so for us guys, a girl, vice versa)

Just curious, thought of the scenario and wanted to see the Church's position. Thanks guys!

Knowingly seek out a bisexual? Yes, it would be wrong. I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

And if you are dating and then find out the person is bisexual, why continue?
Old Apr 26, '10, 2:17 pm

It depends on whether they are actively bisexual or just have SSA but don't act on it.
Old Apr 26, '10, 3:26 pm

Religion: Private

Hmm, I know that most catholics' initial response to this issue would be "no, it is not ok to date someone who is bisexual", but if the person is having sex with a member of the opposite sex (and thus fulfilling their potential for having offspring) then why does it matter if they are ALSO having sex with a member of the same sex? As long as they are not wasting their reproductive organs, why would God have a problem with it? Plus, that way they are free to show their love for more than just 50% of the species! They are making people happy! (As any good Christian should)
Old Apr 26, '10, 3:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

I would think if it's a KNOWN practicing bisexual and you area Catholic - it would be like giving your stamp of approval to date them.

IMHO bisexual is homosexual part of the time.

As always, just my thoughts

It always has bothered me...that us kids get more truthful information on the package of a bread-wrapper or happy meal...than we get about abortions -kimmie

Common sense conservation hints shared here.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=732
Old Apr 26, '10, 4:04 pm

Religion: i'll let you guess

Base on my experience with people "coming out" in high school and with going for some time to a majority all-girl college, many people take on the bisexual label due to sexual confusion. Many of the people I came across are now happily married with children. I agree with aicirt that seeking bisexuals would be wrong because the intentions would be dishonest, but I do not think the Church would necessarily discourage getting to know the person and possibly dating. I don't think the Church would encourage them to get married if the one still believed him/herself to be bisexual considering the spouse would vow to only be "sexual" with one gender from that point on.
Old Apr 26, '10, 4:15 pm

I'd say if they're not currently practicising bisexuality, then it's no problem: To be practicising it, they'd have to be seeing someone else at the same time anyway (or at least 'having encounters' with other people)

Of course, according to proper full on Catholic morality, you wouldn't be doing anything overly, um, invasive anyway, so then neither of you would be doing anything too , er, invasive, unless you'd be happily ambling along graciously while she dabbles sinfully away - I suspect this would be putting yourself in somewhat awkward morally/spiritually compromising situations, however! And also, doubtless, would be somewhat depressing.....

...anyway, if it led to marriage, then they'd have to agree to wholly heterosexual activities, specifically with you, of course
Old Apr 26, '10, 4:17 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical_honesty View Post
Hmm, I know that most catholics' initial response to this issue would be "no, it is not ok to date someone who is bisexual", but if the person is having sex with a member of the opposite sex (and thus fulfilling their potential for having offspring) then why does it matter if they are ALSO having sex with a member of the same sex? As long as they are not wasting their reproductive organs, why would God have a problem with it? Plus, that way they are free to show their love for more than just 50% of the species! They are making people happy! (As any good Christian should)
I'm going to suggest that you read the encyclical "Humanae Vitae" for an introduction to catholic sexual teaching. You seem to have gotten yours from Monty Python.

You seem to be of the opinion that as long as the species continues to be propagated, God is happy. Nothing could be further from the truth. God made the sexual union of a man and wife a multifacted wonderland. Adding others to the mix (by definition adultery or fornication) destroys the way man and wife image the Holy Trinity in bringing forth new life.

There are things that are right/wrong and others that are just badly advised. The OP is worded as if God creates people straight, gay and bisexual. Nothing doing. People with bisexual or homosexual inclinations have a disordered sexual worldview. I'd not consider dating someone still wrestling with such feelings. Perhaps if they had already been resolved for some time, but why set yourself up to fall in love with someone who doesn't even share the same worldview as you? (presuming you are catholic)
Old Apr 26, '10, 8:13 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
I'm going to suggest that you read the encyclical "Humanae Vitae" for an introduction to catholic sexual teaching. You seem to have gotten yours from Monty Python.
The quote of the day goes to manualman.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 27, '10, 6:03 am

Religion: Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post

You seem to be of the opinion that as long as the species continues to be propagated, God is happy. Nothing could be further from the truth. God made the sexual union of a man and wife a multifacted wonderland. Adding others to the mix (by definition adultery or fornication) destroys the way man and wife image the Holy Trinity in bringing forth new life.

There are things that are right/wrong and others that are just badly advised. The OP is worded as if God creates people straight, gay and bisexual. Nothing doing. People with bisexual or homosexual inclinations have a disordered sexual worldview. I'd not consider dating someone still wrestling with such feelings. Perhaps if they had already been resolved for some time, but why set yourself up to fall in love with someone who doesn't even share the same worldview as you? (presuming you are catholic)
Haha, nice reference to Monthy Python! But really, I am of course well aware of how it is said God wants us to be. I am merely making the point that I cannot see anything inherently wrong with bisexuality, by which I mean it does not appear to cause harm to anyone in any direct way whatsoever. It seems that we would only frown upon it solely because it is written that God does not think a person should be bisexual (i.e. partly homosexual). It is not clear to me why God tells us this is wrong.

For example, you made the point that it is wrong because it "destroys the way man and wife image the Holy Trinity in bringing forth new life." But why is there a man and wife image in the first place? Why not a woman and woman image or a man and man image as well? Do you see the point I am trying to make? It just seems to me that there is nothing obviously wrong with any of these things, yet we still condemn them for the singular reason that God says it is wrong. Why would God be less tolerant of sexual freedoms than some humans are? It sounds more likely to me that an all-loving God would be more understanding of things of this nature. Is it more christian for a person to condemn others for the way they are, or accept them for the way they are? I can't believe that God would really condemn people for the way he made them. It wouldn't be very christian of him.
Old Apr 27, '10, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical_honesty View Post
sex outside of marriage is sinful, its a serious grave sin called mortal sin. when a man and woman get married, sex is exclusively to the marriage and not outside it. sex itself should be reserved for marriage. practicing abstinence before marriage is the only way to go, and keeps you free from sin. God never approves of sex outside a marriage, nor does He ever approve of homosexual or even bi-sexual sex. It does not state in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that bi-sexual sex is approved by God or by the Church. so the answer to your question is no. Bi-sexual sex is not acceptable. Having children should be in marriage only and not outside it. Having children is meant for marriage.

You cannot guarentee that your potential bi-sexual girlfriend wont have sex with other women. Why put yourself through that uncertainty? Why not remain free of sex until marriage? There are alot of Catholic women out there and men that wait until marriage.
If you wait until marriage, then you have not sinned, and are not breaking God's laws.
Let me recommend for you, The Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II. Practice abstinence until you are married. Concentrate on the Faith and concentrate on building your everlasting future in heaven. Do not worry about relationships. Everything comes in its due time.
Old Apr 27, '10, 9:00 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate (St-Benoît-du-Lac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryCatholic View Post
You cannot guarentee that your potential bi-sexual girlfriend wont have sex with other women. Why put yourself through that uncertainty?
Nor can you guarantee that a heterosexual girlfriend will not have sex with other men.

Even if the two of you decide to wait until marriage, there's no guarantee that either one will never fall, either with each other or with others.

In fact there's no guarantee, period, even in marriage. Only promises.
Old Apr 27, '10, 11:59 am
Banned

Religion: non-theist; formerly daily Mass-going Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Monaco View Post

As a student majoring in theology at a Catholic college that prides itself in orthodoxy, I don't see anything inherently wrong with dating someone who is attracted to both the same and opposite sex.
Old Apr 27, '10, 12:23 pm

Religion: Faithful Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobObob View Post
As a student majoring in theology at a Catholic college that prides itself in orthodoxy, I don't see anything inherently wrong with dating someone who is attracted to both the same and opposite sex.
As a Catholic Studies major, I agree.

You must apply all the usual caveats, however: if this person is actively having sex with other people -- men or women -- or remains open to it, that makes him/her a fornicator, which is a deal-killer. If this person believes that attraction to or sexual relations with someone of the same sex is perfectly fine, that's heresy, which the two of you should talk about -- but, if he/she is insistent that he/she is right after talking it over, heresy should probably also be a deal-killer (just like insisting that birth control is okay). If he/she isn't Catholic, then he/she is not a heretic, but also doesn't have the Faith, which, in my book at least, is also a deal-killer.)

If this person is willing to spend the rest of his/her life having monogamous sexual relations with a member of the opposite sex, I say go for it.

So I guess there's no official teaching on bisexuality because it all neatly falls into established moral categories. Insofar as the bisexual acts promiscuously or homosexually, the Church condemns those acts. Insofar as the bisexual acts chastely and heterosexually, the Church is totally chill with that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology