Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 4, '10, 6:30 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it a sin for protestants to skip church on Sundays and why do they feel it is okay.

I know there was a similar thread as this but I would like to ask this from a different perspective. I have several protestant friends and frequently they just skip church like it is no big deal or it is fun or it's a right because of how hard they have worked and now they need the rest on Sundays or maybe they might miss a sporting event. These are not kids, they are in their 40's. There are several different people who have said things like to me. One protestant acquaintance stated they do not go to church on Sundays but go on Wednesdays instead. They like sleeping in on Sundays.

Do protestants churches consider missing Sunday "services" wrong or a sin for their members or is it okay for them to skip. I am not talking about serious reasons for missing, like an illness. I mean just because they do not feel like going. If it is considered a sin should they maybe be encourage to attend. I usually don't know how to respond when they tell me, "well, I'm not going to church Sunday, because...
I just kind of, probably look dumbfounded, why they would just miss on purpose.
Old May 4, '10, 7:57 am

Default Re: Is it a sin for protestants to skip church on Sundays and why do they feel it is okay.

I was raised Lutheran. It was not considered a sin to miss a Sunday service. I don't recall my family thinking it was "fun" to miss church, or that we had a "right" to skip because of "how hard we had worked." If you are quoting your Protestant friends accurately, please pray for them.

Attending church was encouraged, but it was not sinful to miss it. An analogy I would use for a cradle Catholic is that in the Catholic church it's not sinful to fail to tithe, but giving to charity/church is encouraged.
Old May 4, '10, 8:17 am

Religion: Former Evangelical but now an Orthodox Christian in the OCA
Default Re: Is it a sin for protestants to skip church on Sundays and why do they feel it is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyM View Post
I know there was a similar thread as this but I would like to ask this from a different perspective. I have several protestant friends and frequently they just skip church like it is no big deal or it is fun or it's a right because of how hard they have worked and now they need the rest on Sundays or maybe they might miss a sporting event. These are not kids, they are in their 40's. There are several different people who have said things like to me. One protestant acquaintance stated they do not go to church on Sundays but go on Wednesdays instead. They like sleeping in on Sundays.

Do protestants churches consider missing Sunday "services" wrong or a sin for their members or is it okay for them to skip. I am not talking about serious reasons for missing, like an illness. I mean just because they do not feel like going. If it is considered a sin should they maybe be encourage to attend. I usually don't know how to respond when they tell me, "well, I'm not going to church Sunday, because...
I just kind of, probably look dumbfounded, why they would just miss on purpose.
I'm a former Evangelical Christian and the attitude you have described sounds familiar. I think in Evangelical circles such an attitude would probably be regarded as in no way unusual. I doubt that any Evangelical would suggest in the case of another that it was a sin to miss church on Sunday in a specific instance since that might be seen as passing judging upon the action of another Christian. So if an Evangelical Christian misses church on Sunday for whatever reason that would doubtless be seen by other Evangelicals (including the pastor of the church) as a matter between that person and God.

Does that make sense?

Cordially,
Mick
Old May 4, '10, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTeacher View Post
I'm a former Evangelical Christian and the attitude you have described sounds familiar. I think in Evangelical circles such an attitude would probably be regarded as in no way unusual. I doubt that any Evangelical would suggest in the case of another that it was a sin to miss church on Sunday in a specific instance since that might be seen as passing judging upon the action of another Christian. So if an Evangelical Christian misses church on Sunday for whatever reason that would doubtless be seen by other Evangelicals (including the pastor of the church) as a matter between that person and God.

Does that make sense?

Cordially,
Mick
Thank you. That does make sense and I didn't think to say but a couple of the families that say this are Evangelical. The other family is Methodist.
Old May 4, '10, 8:34 am

I grew up in a conservative church of Christ congregation. In the churches of Christ, attendance is very much expected. Not attending is considered "forsaking the assembly" and it can technically be grounds for a withdrawal of fellowship (being kicked out of the church). I've never had the experience of seeing someone disfellowshipped because of missing a church service, but when the congregation withdraws fellowship from someone, that is often cited as one (big) reason.
Old May 4, '10, 8:37 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Reading the posts here show that the Protestants have integrity of faith. We have a vigil Mass for those who work on Sunday, and I have liked going to it. My work hours change. So I will go to catch up on needed sleep the next morning on Sunday. I can always go to a Sunday 'contemplative Mass' that is all in candlelight. They have one at 7:30 pm and another at 8:30 pm.
Old May 4, '10, 9:01 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker

Most Protestant traditions do not have a...well for lack of a better term..."list of sins and do's and don'ts" that the Catholic church appears to have. Paul stated "not to forsake the assembling of youselves together as some do..." Missing worship is not encouraged...but it is not a sin as Catholics believe it is.

On any given First Day there are those whom I know will be at Meeting....and there are those whom I suspect will be at Meeting....and then there are those whom I am pleasantly surprised to see at Meeting.

Some do attend other faith traditions perhaps several weeks out of the month.....

We have a gay couple with children who attend the local MCC most of the time....from time to time they attend Friend's Meeting instead as one of the men was raised a Friend. We have a couple that attend a Methodist church and from time to time drop in on First Day Meeting to keep in touch.

Since most Protestant groups do not see their repsective group as a "different church" but only as a different tradition...some who miss First Day Meeting are attending other worship service traditions...some even attend more liturgical traditions but come back to the Silence when they have need.
Old May 4, '10, 9:24 am

The Catholic Church interprets the 3rd Commandment to "keep holy the Lord's Day" as an obligation on its members to attend Mass on Sunday and Holy Days. Non-Catholics may not be obligated to this interpretation. However, if a person adheres to the Ten Commandments they must fulfill that commandment regardless of their denomination. This is God's Commandment!
Old May 4, '10, 9:43 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoira View Post
The Catholic Church interprets the 3rd Commandment to "keep holy the Lord's Day" as an obligation on its members to attend Mass on Sunday and Holy Days. Non-Catholics may not be obligated to this interpretation. However, if a person adheres to the Ten Commandments they must fulfill that commandment regardless of their denomination. This is God's Commandment!
For Friends, every day is holy...Christ is now our Sabbath Rest and invites all to Him who are "weary and heavy laden" for His "yoke is mild and his burden light". I have skipped First Day meeting for various reasons...and held "Meeting" at home.

One thing I find curious, many who feel it is necessary to attend worship services lest they "sin" tend to not adhere to the other prohibitions of buying and selling and frequently "church goers" patronize restaurants and do their weekly shopping on Sunday...or watch TV or go to the movies and not reserve the "holy day" for "holy things" alone.
Old May 4, '10, 10:03 am

Religion: Pentecostal Christian

Quote:
But of course those Protestants who hold that position with the most passion will challenge you with the day of the Sabbath that they believe we have not been released from no matter what any specific Council decided.

My opinion? Read what Publiser wrote, he writes much better then I do.
Old May 4, '10, 10:19 am

Quote:
Am I right in stating the Catholic Church teaches that if a Catholic ignores this obligation of having to go to Mass on a Sunday and stays at home for what the Catholic Church might well define as "no good reason" that he or she would consequently be in a state of mortal sin after midnight on Sunday and would go straight to hell if he or she were to die in that state?

Curiously,
Mick
Old May 4, '10, 10:23 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite

Quote:
Am I right in stating the Catholic Church teaches that if a Catholic ignores this obligation of having to go to Mass on a Sunday and stays at home for what the Catholic Church might well define as "no good reason" that he or she would consequently be in a state of mortal sin after midnight on Sunday and would go straight to hell if he or she were to die in that state?

Curiously,
Mick
A good Catholic understands that we can not possibly know who perciesly goes to hell (or heaven) in the average case. Only God is the perfect Judge of heart, occationally he throws us a bone in the form of a Saint (or a clear scriptual reference of someone who is almost certainly in hell) but outside of that, we can't really say for sure.

What I can say is that an individual does this with a rebellious heart they've increased the chances they're going to h-e-double hockey sticks almost as singificantly as one can. If someone does so with an attitude of ambivilence, then well they're certainly not helping their cause for sainthood, though at least you're not quite as bad off as that rebellious individual.

Obviously if you missed Church for some excusable reason, then you're probably not going to go to Hell over that anyway.
Old May 4, '10, 10:24 am

Religion: Conservative Catholic

They are in danger of hell, you know as well as we do that Catholics don't claim to know who goes to hell or not. Trick question?
Old May 4, '10, 11:52 am

Quote:

Curiously,
Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboto-Me View Post
They are in danger of hell, you know as well as we do that Catholics don't claim to know who goes to hell or not. Trick question?
By no means was it intended to be a trick question. I asked if my understanding of Catholic teaching was right not whether my knowledge of what individual Catholics might believe or claim was correct. What individual Catholics might believe or claim is, as I've discovered, not necessarily the same thing as what the Catholic Church teaches.

My question is related to the Original Post. My thought is the reality may possibly be that many Catholics go to Mass on Sunday only because they are obligated to do so. Indeed, if the Catholic Church has made breaking that particular commandment a mortal sin with all that such entails then it seems not unreasonable to suppose that some Catholics may go to Mass on Sunday motivated only by fear of going to hell. So if all Catholics were to be released from that particular obligation it seems not unlikely that there would necessarily be fewer Masses on Sundays in every Catholic parish throughout the world and that the attitude outside Catholicism, which the Original Poster currently finds dumbfounding, would quickly become the norm inside Catholicism.

Speculatively,
Mick
Old May 4, '10, 12:57 pm

Religion: Conservative Catholic

You're right, I did make it sound like it was an individual belief. I should correctly say that the Catholic Church does not make any assumptions as to who is in hell and who isn't. Since I'm such an integral member of the Church I automatically presumed all Catholics think as I try to. (I still have problems with it with certain members of other religious groups but submit to the teaching anyway with prayer)

As for motivation by fear, sometimes that's what it takes people to adhere until they've developed enough spiritual maturity to start being motivated by love.

Personal Story: For many years "fear of hell" motivated me to do the right thing (growing up years). Through doing the right thing, even if I feared separation from God, it eventually turned into a love for Him. Sometimes loving actions start out for selfish reasons (fear of punishment?) and then turn out to become selfless through maturity ... where I am now.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions