Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 10, '10, 7:16 pm

Religion: Protestant- For Now
Default Making a Simple Bead Rosary?

Here's my dilemma:

I am trying to pray the Rosary daily. I find it very inspiring and one of the best ways of meditating. However, I don't have a Rosary, nor the skills to make a fancy one (like this: http://chris2fer.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rosary.jpg). The links between the beads are my problem.

How can I make a more simple, but still beaded (not the knots of twine) Rosary that I can use?

Also, can I have my Rosary blessed (I am not Catholic...yet)?

Thank you so much!
Old May 10, '10, 7:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making a Simple Bead Rosary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingtoknow View Post
Here's my dilemma:

I am trying to pray the Rosary daily. I find it very inspiring and one of the best ways of meditating. However, I don't have a Rosary, nor the skills to make a fancy one (like this: http://chris2fer.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rosary.jpg). The links between the beads are my problem.

How can I make a more simple, but still beaded (not the knots of twine) Rosary that I can use?

Thank you so much!
I actually helped make a few simple, wood-beaded rosaries for a play last year. It was fairly simple:

Purchase some wooden beads and hemp twine (or other strong twine) at a craft store. You will want at least one that is a different size, or a medallion or similar object to serve as the junction of the circle.

Purchase a crucifix at a religious store, or make one yourself.

Cut yourself a piece of twine that is a good three feet long (you'll trim later).

Tie a knot about a foot from one end of the twine. String 10 beads, and then tie another knot.

Tie another knot about half an inch away from the last. String one bead, and tie a knot behind the solo bead.

Tie a knot about half an inch from the last. String 10 beads, then tie another knot.

Repeat the previous steps until you have five sections (decades) that go knot - 10 beads - knot - space - knot - bead - knot - space.

After the fifth decade, run your loose ends through the larger bead. Tie knots on both sides of the large bead.

Trim one of the loose ends of your twine below the large bead, so you are left with a beaded circle and an unbeaded length of twine sticking out of the large bead.

Space about half an inch from the large bead and tie a knot. String one bead, then tie a knot.

Space half an inch, then tie a knot. String three beads, then tie a knot.

Space half an inch, tie a knot. String one bead, then tie a knot.

Space half an inch. Tie your crucifix to the twine at this spot. Trim the excess twine.

That should work. It may not look beautiful, but it is simple, sturdy, and sort of elegant in its archaic design. I see no reason that you would be unable to have it blessed. I think, in the interest of showing good faith, it would be best to tell the priest that you approach that you are not Catholic, though.

Peace,
Dante
Old May 10, '10, 9:04 pm
Banned

Religion: [√] YES

I made rosaries for my brother and nephew. Those guys are rough on all their field gear.

Materials:
48" 550# parachute cord
53 8x9mm plastic "pony beads" for AveMarias
6 slightly larger plastic beads for PaterNosters
1 plastic or metal crucifix

Procedure:
String the beads.
Pray the Rosary.

Check here:
http://rosarycatalog.com/catholic-bo.../category/2280
Old May 11, '10, 1:22 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic (sympathizing with SSPX, ICKSP, & FSSP)

not to be a jerk but, but just go to a catholic book store and buy one. God and the Beautiful Virgin will know that you had the intent to make one. if you cannot make one that looks satisfactory to your preferences then it is no less respectful to Our Lady to buy one
Old May 11, '10, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingtoknow View Post
Here's my dilemma:

Thank you so much!
Making a Rosary is a laudable goal. But, in the meantime, I would suggest just going to a Catholic bookstore or online and buy one -- they can be purchased for less than $20.

And yes, you can have your Rosary blessed by a Catholic priest even if you are not yet a Catholic. Just be aware that by having it blessed it will become a holy item and should be then treated as such (and I'm sure you know that already).

May Our Lady intercede for you.
Old May 11, '10, 9:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (but looking East)
Send a message via AIM to damooster

I make corded and beaded rosaries for those who may not be able to afford one at the present time. I will even mail it for free, so if you are an adult (if child, must have parents permission) and want one, you can send me a PM here or visit my website, http://moosjourney.com/?page_id=373 for information on how to get a free rosary.

(This goes for anyone reading this by the way).
Old May 11, '10, 10:28 am

I make strung bead rosaries and I learned how with the directions at this website:
http://www.rosaryworkshop.com/SERVIC...eRosaries.html

The rosaries they show in the pictures are very beautiful and look complicated, but you can use any kind of beads to fit your budget. The most expensive part is the beading wire. Don't use cheap beading wire or your rosary won't hold up very well! I use the 19-strand wire that you can get at Hobby Lobby for around $8-$10 for a spool that will make around 5 rosaries. You'd also have to buy a pair of crimping pliers, which are maybe $12-$15. If you're only wanting to make one rosary, it would be a bit of money up front, but you might find a new hobby!

I actually have several made up that I was going to give to our parish to give to new comers. I'd be glad to send you one if you're interested. I believe most of the ones I've got made up right now are more feminine, but I know I've got a couple that would suit more masculine tastes as well. PM me if you're interested!
Old May 11, '10, 1:32 pm

Religion: Protestant- For Now

I probably should not give out my address over the internet (not that I think you all are bad people...just can't be too careful these days) since I am a teenager and do not have my parents permission. But I think I could make one of the Rosaries shown...they look pretty simple to make. My only problem is going to be finding a crucifix around here (there's a Catholic store up on the north side of town, but none around here).

Do you think Mardel would have Rosaries, even just a few? I could easily get there from here. Maybe I'll go look in the next few days. If not, I'll just make one I suppose.
Old May 11, '10, 2:25 pm

I get more "free" rosaries in the mail from Fr. yadayada of Sr. whats ername from their "missions" in Africa, South America, Alaska, and Lord knows where else. I must six or seven of them here now. Plus I have started a Rosary collection of really nice Rosaries.

Just send a small donation ($5.00) to one of them and pretty soon you'll get more mail and "free" gifts than you can possibly use.
Old May 11, '10, 3:45 pm

There are tons of places on the internet to buy rosary centers and crucifixes, and usually you can find nice pieces for not a lot of money. Do a google search for rosary making supplies or search on eBay. One place I buy a lot of crucifixes is http://www.catholicprayercards.com - they are a Catholic family that sells mainly prayer cards, but they also have quite a lot of metal crucifxes, many are less than $1 and the money goes to a good Catholic business.

If you have a craft store such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels nearby, you might be able to find a limited selection of crosses or crucifixes. If you're lucky enough to have a Catholic bookstore close by, you would probably have better luck there.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism