Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 12, '10, 12:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default St. Peter's Wife?

I am currently in the process of writing a fictional story portraying the life of St. Peter in the Gospels, and naturally the issue of his wife came up. Since he was married and was living with his mother-in-law in Capernaum as a fisherman when he met Jesus, I am trying to figure out what his wife's name was, and possibly an idea of what his mother-in-law's name was as well, so that I can portray them in my story. If anyone has any information about this, I would very much appreciate it.

John 6:60 (RSV-2CE)
Old May 12, '10, 4:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Peter's Wife?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_t...Peter%27s_wife
"The Apostle (Simon) Peter's wife was called Perpetua. " I'm not sure how reliable this source is, though.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11744a.htm Some more information, but no names.

also found...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Might_the_...name_Concordia
"The Bible does not tell us the name of Peter's wife.

Legend does not state the name of Peter's wife. There is no evidence or literature to suggest that his wife's name was Perpetua or Concordia her name has not come down to us. Legend does state that he had at least one daughter named Petronilla.
"

You may have to use some 'poetic license'! You did say it was 'fictional'? Good luck!!
Old May 12, '10, 4:47 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scameter18 View Post
I am currently in the process of writing a fictional story portraying the life of St. Peter in the Gospels, and naturally the issue of his wife came up. Since he was married and was living with his mother-in-law in Capernaum as a fisherman when he met Jesus, I am trying to figure out what his wife's name was, and possibly an idea of what his mother-in-law's name was as well, so that I can portray them in my story. If anyone has any information about this, I would very much appreciate it.
There is no evidence in Scripture about Peter being married when he met Jesus. The fact that only his mother-in-law is mentioned indicates he may have been a widower by the time he was called by Jesus.
Old May 12, '10, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
There is no evidence in Scripture about Peter being married when he met Jesus. The fact that only his mother-in-law is mentioned indicates he may have been a widower by the time he was called by Jesus.
It's true that there is no direct evidence. However we do have this passage in 1 Corinthians:

"Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?" (1 Cor 9:5, NRSV)

Cephas is St. Peter, so I guess it's pretty safe to assume that his wife remained alive at least till this point in time.

Good luck with your novel, scameter18.
Old May 12, '10, 7:59 am

The bible clearly says that Peter's wife was dead. It also indicates that Peter never had sex with his wife after his calling.

I think the poster above was right, her name is in scripture (I'm not sure where) but it was Perpetua and she was DEAD when Peter became an Apostle.
Old May 12, '10, 8:12 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thank you for the encouragement and information. Since the only evidence available suggests his wife's name was Perpetua and that he had a daughter named Petronilla, I may use. His daughter's name seems almost like a feminine form of the name Peter, which is possible that she was named after Simon's nickname, but unlikely, so I may not use that, but Perpetua seems reasonable. As for the name of his mother-in-law, there seems to be no information, so I will have to use poetic license. Thanks again for the assistance, if anyone gets anymore info please post it here. God bless.

Old May 12, '10, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashue View Post
The bible clearly says that Peter's wife was dead. It also indicates that Peter never had sex with his wife after his calling.

I think the poster above was right, her name is in scripture (I'm not sure where) but it was Perpetua and she was DEAD when Peter became an Apostle.
Sorry, I wasn't able to find those references even with a search - could you point me in the right direction?
Old May 13, '10, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRPsych View Post
It's true that there is no direct evidence. However we do have this passage in 1 Corinthians:

"Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?" (1 Cor 9:5, NRSV)

Cephas is St. Peter, so I guess it's pretty safe to assume that his wife remained alive at least till this point in time.
"Wife" is a false protestant translation of this Greek phrase which means "a sister believer as helper". As St Paul in several places affirms that he is celibate and urges others especially Christian leaders to be celibate as well if possible, he is clearly not arguing here for his right to marry - a right which is natural to all men.

Not to mention that our Lord also urged his Apostles to be celibate like Him.

St Petronella was a Roman martyr of the 3rd century. In the 4th century a story developed that she had been St Peter's daughter, probably due to the similarity of their names. (presumably her parents had named her in honour of St Peter or she chose that name in honour of the long-dead St Peter when she was baptised). There is no historical reference to St Peter having any children before the 4th century.
Old May 13, '10, 4:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petergee View Post
"Wife" is a false protestant translation of this Greek phrase which means "a sister believer as helper". As St Paul in several places affirms that he is celibate and urges others especially Christian leaders to be celibate as well if possible, he is clearly not arguing here for his right to marry - a right which is natural to all men.
True, I checked the Greek and you're most likely right. One of the perils of using the RSV/NRSV I guess Thanks!
Old May 13, '10, 5:32 am

I was going to guess Roxanne. before reading Petergee's post.
Old May 13, '10, 6:19 am

Quote:

How can you be sure about that? What we find in 1 Corinthians suggests something quite opposite. I would say the Apostles used to take their wives with them when traveling. Women were simply responsible for daily work, cooking etc.
Not having sex after his calling ... . It's a kind of obsession in Catholicism. What a difference does it make if Peter or any other Apostle had sex or not?
Perpetua is a Latin name meaning continual, lasting, perpetual, so it could not have been the name of Peter's wife, who was Jewish. Peter was also Jewish, so his name was Simon, not Peter.
Old May 13, '10, 1:22 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Well, priestly celibacy in Catholicism is only important after one becomes a priest. St. Peter was married before he was called to be an apostle, so St. Paul's urging to be celibate does not apply to Peter, or anyone else already married. He wouldn't want you to leave your spouse to be celibate. Paul was not married when he became a priest, and so he remained celibate, as many other disciples and early Christians did, such as St. John, St. Luke, and others.

And, about the Greek word for "wife", the Bible also says Peter lived in his mother-in-law's house. So, he was married at some point in his life, whether he was during the Gospels or not. But, it is possible that he was a widower, which could also bring up the question of Peter having children, since many women back then died in childbirth. Obviously, this is a very vague topic.

Old May 13, '10, 2:06 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
The bible clearly says that Peter's wife was dead.
No, it doesn't, at least in an explicit manner. Some INFER from the little that we have that Peter's wife may have been dead, but the opposite could also hold true. For example, Clement of Alexandria once reported (which Eusebius later copied) a tradition that St. Peter had children, and that his wife also died a martyr - which would infer that she was still at least alive. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:
Simon settled in Capharnaum, where he was living with his mother-in-law in his own house (Matthew 8:14; Luke 4:38) at the beginning of Christ's public ministry (about A.D. 26-28). Simon was thus married, and, according to Clement of Alexandria (Stromata, III, vi, ed. Dindorf, II, 276), had children. The same writer relates the tradition that Peter's wife suffered martyrdom (ibid., VII, xi ed. cit., III, 306). Concerning these facts, adopted by Eusebius (Church History III.31) from Clement, the ancient Christian literature which has come down to us is silent. Simon pursued in Capharnaum the profitable occupation of fisherman in Lake Genesareth, possessing his own boat (Luke 5:3).
Old May 13, '10, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel_J View Post
Not having sex after his calling ... . It's a kind of obsession in Catholicism. What a difference does it make if Peter or any other Apostle had sex or not?
Actually it's a tradition inherited from the Jewish priests, who if married had to abstain from the marital act for a certain period before performing priestly duties.
Old May 13, '10, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scameter18 View Post
Well, priestly celibacy in Catholicism is only important after one becomes a priest. St. Peter was married before he was called to be an apostle, so St. Paul's urging to be celibate does not apply to Peter, or anyone else already married. He wouldn't want you to leave your spouse to be celibate.
Our Lord commanded His Apostles to leave EVERYTHING and follow Him.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture