Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 14, '10, 5:53 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Homeschoolers: How many weeks per year?

I've noticed looking through various cirriculums that some are set up on a 36 week schedule for the year and others used 34 weeks. I'm wondering what is the norm.

I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Old May 14, '10, 6:00 am

Default Re: Homeschoolers: How many weeks per year?

How ever long it takes. Our legal requirement is 180 days, but we usually go longer with a more relaxed pace.

Math is usually paced at one assignment per day. Religion we usually whip through and then supplement. Literature can take as much time as you want depending on how much you want to dig.

When my kids were little, we took every summer off--we did school from mid-Aug to end of May. Now, we go fulltime mid-August through May, then do half days through the summer (skipping days that we have fun activities planned).

As long as you meet your legal requirement, you can fit your school year to fit your family.
Old May 14, '10, 6:30 am

We generally use a 36 week lesson plan but take a whole year to finish.

I like to be able to take random weeks off as needed (like this week, for example).

Even when we aren't using the lesson plans and 'doing school', we still do lots of fun 'school' stuff- reading, being outside, bird watching, gardening, preparing/caring for a new baby, going on vacation to museums and other interesting sites, etc. It's the school of life.

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old May 14, '10, 8:09 am

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2005

If you did the 180 days, as required in my state, 5 days a week (hahaha) you get 36 weeks. Our current lesson plans (1st grade) only did 32 weeks, so we've added in other things to get to our 180 days.
Old May 14, '10, 8:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Our state requires the equivalent of 36 weeks. Kolbe academy, with whom we are registered, follows a 36 week schedule too. So that's what we follow. Sometimes there will be a product that doesn't provide 36 weeks of work. For example, we use CHC's spelling programs,and they have 34 lessons. So I actually only do 28 weeks of spelling lessons during the school year, with two weeks of review and testing per quarter. Then I do the other 6 lessons during the summer. Our Math program (Singapore) would be a nightmare if I tried to complete it in 36 weeks - there's just a lot of material to cover. So we do Math in the summer as well.

I don't know if there is a norm. Some families stretch out the entire curriculum and school year round. Lots of families follow the 36 week plan, but take a lot of time off for Advent or Christmas. Plenty of folks find themselves ahead in one subject and behind in another because of their various strengths and weaknesses, and probably couldn't tell you when one year ends and another one begins. I live in an area where beautiful weather doesn't last long, so I really wanted to have summer really be summer. So I try to follow the schedule of the local schools, with a few tweeks (a little extra time off in Dec/Jan, less time off in Feb, no snow days...).
Old May 15, '10, 5:10 am

Find out what your state requires and adapt to that.

I don't think homeschoolers have a norm.
Old May 15, '10, 7:19 am

First thing you should do is fine out what YOUR state requires. HSLDA: State Laws is an good place to fine out what your state (if you live in the USA) requires.I'm in IL. Public schools are in session for 176 days; However that is NOT mandatory for private or homeschoolers.

176 days turns out to be 35.2 weeks. Some homeschoolers around here just do 35 weeks while others do 36 weeks. Personally we do 200 days; 40 weeks! This is mainly because we school all year; We take a week off every 1-2 months during the school year and a month off in between the school years. Another reason we do 200 days (40 weeks) is it keeps our daily lessons short and allow us to do to more in depth on certain topics.

As others have stated. I would first find out what the min. your state requires and then go from there. I know that there are a few states that require 180 (36 weeks).
Old May 16, '10, 2:57 pm

180 days here, but that includes up to 15 snow days, some sick days, teacher conference days, and field trip days.

*I* school sorta year round though. take off 1 - 2 weeks for christmas, 1 - 2 for easter, 1 - 2 somewhere around 4th of Jul and if it's a baby year, another 1 - 2 when baby comes.
Old May 17, '10, 2:40 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof02green View Post
First thing you should do is fine out what YOUR state requires. HSLDA: State Laws is an good place to fine out what your state (if you live in the USA) requires.I'm in IL. Public schools are in session for 176 days; However that is NOT mandatory for private or homeschoolers.

176 days turns out to be 35.2 weeks. Some homeschoolers around here just do 35 weeks while others do 36 weeks. Personally we do 200 days; 40 weeks! This is mainly because we school all year; We take a week off every 1-2 months during the school year and a month off in between the school years. Another reason we do 200 days (40 weeks) is it keeps our daily lessons short and allow us to do to more in depth on certain topics.

As others have stated. I would first find out what the min. your state requires and then go from there. I know that there are a few states that require 180 (36 weeks).

My state requires 900 hrs.....so I'm assuming that allows some flexibility to divide up as we need/want to.

I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Old May 17, '10, 2:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by masondoggy View Post
My state requires 900 hrs.....so I'm assuming that allows some flexibility to divide up as we need/want to.
I'd bet you that they're thinking of 180 days (5 hours per day). Most hs'ers that Iknow don't really worry about the exact # of hours or days that they school. We figure that plenty of learning occurs outside of the traditional school hours, and we don't always count learning time as completely as it deserves. ie. I only schedule traditional school hours 4 days per week around here. But I forget that our attendance at co-op (where they do things like art, music, chorus) is just as "school-worthy" as anything, not to mention tennis lessons, or the informal conversation at dinner about WWII... Or that you could consider the trip to the museum as a field trip (which certainly occurs during those required 180 days in the institutional school systems). Plus, the efficiency of homeschooling makes those 900 hours rather arbitrary. It helps to know what is "expected" of you, to give yourself a framework, and a way to do whatever reporting is required of you. But considering all these factors, you have a HUGE amount of flexibility within those 900 hours.
Old May 18, '10, 7:04 am

Our lesson plans are 36 weeks long, but you can't possible finish in 36 consecutive weeks. Our kids have friends in traditional school, so we try to give them days off whenever their friends have them. When you factor those in along with breaks at Christmas and in the Spring, it takes more like 40-42 weeks to complete.
Old May 18, '10, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmeau View Post
Our lesson plans are 36 weeks long, but you can't possible finish in 36 consecutive weeks. Our kids have friends in traditional school, so we try to give them days off whenever their friends have them. When you factor those in along with breaks at Christmas and in the Spring, it takes more like 40-42 weeks to complete.
We tried taking off, this year, when the traditional schooled kids where off, but I never realized how many days they have off! It is is at least 2-4 days every month with some months having more. I was shocked! I started falling behind and realizing that we would be doing full time year round school if we kept following the school calendar.

I have learned my lesson and will not ever follow the local school calender again.
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting