Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 26, '05, 2:21 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Default Greer "Excommunicated" by Congregation

I highly commended the actions of the Pastor of the Southern Baptist Church to which Greer is a member. He was asked to leave the congregation for not carrying out his Christian responsibility in the case.

I hope the other Protestant congregations will not welcome him unless he repents of his inhuman and unchristian actions.

May he receive grace that he needs before it's too late for him to be condemned for eternity by his own actions.

God have mercy on his soul and all those who want to side with the devil. This is a real battle going on in the spiritual world.

Pio
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:22 pm

Default Re: Greer "Excommunicated" by Congregation

Do you have a link? Very interesting
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:23 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

It's in the foxnews. The Pastor wrote a letter to him and this letter apparently became public.

Pio
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:28 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

I heard about that before.

Actually, I find it troubling that protestant churches do this. It's one thing to tell a person what they're doing is wrong and the church doesn't approve. But when you kick someone out, they're left all alone and their soul is in even greater danger. I think even protestants at least need the church community in their life.
Even if a Catholic is excommunicated, they can still attend Mass so that they can still have that last connection to God's family, they just can't receive the Sacraments until they repent.

Every Christian needs that connection, even when they're doing something terribly wrong.
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:42 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordofLight
Do you have a link? Very interesting
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151602,00.html
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by masondoggy

Actually, I find it troubling that protestant churches do this. It's one thing to tell a person what they're doing is wrong and the church doesn't approve. But when you kick someone out, they're left all alone and their soul is in even greater danger. I think even protestants at least need the church community in their life.
Even if a Catholic is excommunicated, they can still attend Mass so that they can still have that last connection to God's family, they just can't receive the Sacraments until they repent.

Every Christian needs that connection, even when they're doing something terribly wrong.
1 Corinthians 5 sets the biblical precedence for this action. It is for the scandalous sinner's benefit, as well as the protection of the Christian community.
Old Mar 26, '05, 2:58 pm

Quote:

Another reason protestants would have to ask someone to leave is because without the sacraments they have no other way to discipline the public sinner...... the person would not feel any disconnection whatsoever. In the Catholic Church the public sinner would not be allowed to take part in the sacraments, and this disconnection from God and the Body of Christ would be the consequence of dissent and public scandal.
Old Mar 26, '05, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie m.
Another reason protestants would have to ask someone to leave is because without the sacraments they have no other way to discipline the public sinner...... the person would not feel any disconnection whatsoever. In the Catholic Church the public sinner would not be allowed to take part in the sacraments, and this disconnection from God and the Body of Christ would be the consequence of dissent and public scandal.
When was the last time you heard of a Catholic priest or bishop denying sacraments to a pro choice politician? Unfortunately, Amchurch has been a paper tiger except for when it has come to protecting predators of adolescent boys.
Old Mar 26, '05, 3:27 pm
Account Under Review
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Technically, Greer sent a letter withdrawing from the church.

I always think of the term "excommunicate" as a Catholic one; you can't actually excommunicate yourself. I thought the Protestants just went and found another Protestant church when they had a parting of the ways.
Old Mar 26, '05, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox
When was the last time you heard of a Catholic priest or bishop denying sacraments to a pro choice politician? Unfortunately, Amchurch has been a paper tiger except for when it has come to protecting predators of adolescent boys.
Unfortunately, denying sacraments to pro-choice politicians doesn't happen enough. Although, just recently a priest from my province in Timmins, Ontario, CANADA, has refused a politician, who publicly promotes same-sex unions, from receiving Communion. This is way too rare!

Anyway, my point was based more on how it should be rather than how it unfortunately is at most Catholic Churches.
Old Mar 26, '05, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie m.
Unfortunately, denying sacraments to pro-choice politicians doesn't happen enough. Although, just recently a priest from my province in Timmins, Ontario, CANADA, has refused a politician, who publicly promotes same-sex unions, from receiving Communion. This is way too rare!

Anyway, my point was based more on how it should be rather than how it unfortunately is at most Catholic Churches.
I know, I'm just frustrated with our Bishops, who should be a lot more vocal than they are regarding the state-sponsored murder of Terri Schiavo.
Old Mar 26, '05, 5:51 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, baptized and confirmed
Send a message via Yahoo to aspawloski4th
Thumbs up Re: Greer "Excommunicated" by Congregation

I commend that congregation and its pastor for doing so. this evil judge is not better morally than Hitler or goebels. that church took a stand for God and for morality.
Old Mar 26, '05, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgomez
I highly commended the actions of the Pastor of the Southern Baptist Church to which Greer is a member. He was asked to leave the congregation for not carrying out his Christian responsibility in the case.
In the weeks and months to come it will be Protestant Christians like this who will be the natural allies of Catholics in the fight with the Culture of Death. God bless and strengthen them.

Jesus did not condemn the woman who was about to be stoned, but he commanded her to sin no more.
Old Mar 26, '05, 7:18 pm

The last I heard, they didnt throw him out, but did a write up in the magazine FloridaBaptist. which thoroughly comdemned him.

He quit donating to the church and then quit the church.

He compared being a member of a church to subscribing to a newspaper. If he doesnt like what the newspaper says, he cancels his subscription. If he doenst like what his church says, he cancels his membership.

Obvious where the depth of his religious feeling come from.
Old Mar 26, '05, 8:06 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist

Quote:

This is very very rare for any protestant church to do this.And also, if Greer were to repent, I believe that he would be received back again. I am not that familiar with the Southern Baptists to be sure, but in the Methodist church , he would still be able to attend church. He would not be allowed to hold office. He could not recieve communion. He could still attend church. I have only heard of one case where that the person was told not to attend at all; that was a man who had been caught in an affair with a teenage girl. In that case, it was for the welfare of other kids as well. Also, of course, the scandal was terrible...(By the way, it worked! He has cleaned up his life, & is an active member in another church).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005