Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 24, '10, 4:10 am

Default How do i know if i need to go to confession?

I don't know if i should go to confession. I don't feel an urge to and there's nothing like, really serious. (I don't know if thinking about hitting a rapist in case if i did get attacked in a comical way after i had promised God not to counts.) Everytime i go to mass, if i see there are no preists in the confession room, i am relieved so i don't need to worry over whether i should go or not. Well.... i kind of dread going to it if i need to, but i know I must do it if i did something wrong. It takes up a lot of courage.

Anyway, I have beedn praying to God for letting me know and feel that i should go to confession if i need to. But well.. i am not so sure. Advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 24, '10, 4:23 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do i know if i need to go to confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforfaith View Post
I don't know if i should go to confession. I don't feel an urge to and there's nothing like, really serious.Everytime i go to mass, if i see there are no preists in the confession room, i am relieved so i don't need to worry over whether i should go or not. Well.... i kind of dread going to it if i need to, but i know I must do it if i did something wrong. It takes up a lot of courage.

Anyway, I have beedn praying to God for letting me know and feel that i should go to confession if i need to. But well.. i am not so sure. Advice appreciated. Thanks
You should go when you feel like it. The Church asks that you go once a year, and sometimes, even if you have nothing terrible to confess, it;s good to go and clear your mind of other things that may be venial sins or that aren't sins but may be holding you up from a relationship with God.

Quote:
(I don't know if thinking about hitting a rapist in case if i did get attacked in a comical way after i had promised God not to counts.)
If you were to get attacked by a rapist, it's not, not, NOT a sin to fight back. In fact, I'd hope you'd kick him repeatedly and forcefully in the (anatomical location deleted for modesty) numerous times -- and then gave 'im one for me! There have been times where I've had unbidden daydreams of having to kill a rapist to save a woman in danger. It's not sinful to contemplate violence -- if that violence is meant to save yourself or others.

QUOTE]
Old May 24, '10, 4:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Payne View Post
It's not sinful to contemplate violence -- if that violence is meant to save yourself or others.
After a bit of thought, let me clarify -- it is not the violence you should be focusing on, but the intent. Imagining yourself kicking a rapist is probably OK. Me having to shoot a rapist in defense of others? Probably OK. If it were a full Sam Peckinpah-style opus, on the other hand...
Old May 24, '10, 5:55 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Hi!

Do you know the difference between venial and mortal sin? Mortal sins are sins that must be confessed. Not only for the good of your soul but so that you can partake in communion and receive God's graces etc. Venial sins are smaller sins that don't have to be confessed but if you want to you can :-)

As for how often you should go, it depends on whether or not you commit a mortal sin. I think that the "confession once a year" thing confuses Catholics more often than not. Everytime you commit a mortal sin and you then cannot recieve the Eucharist, I would say you should go to confession. There is no set rule. Go as often as you wish. I attend mass 3 times a week and I hate not being able to partake in the Eucharist, so if I commit a mortal sin I'm straight to confession! If God is calling you to go, then Go! Holy Spirit works in all of us

ps. We all dread going at first. After a while, if you develop a relationship with your priest, you won't even mind going. Just pretend you are speaking to the Lord himself and the Priest is the interpretor
Old May 24, '10, 6:18 am

Quote:
I don't know if i should go to confession. I don't feel an urge to and there's nothing like, really serious. (I don't know if thinking about hitting a rapist in case if i did get attacked in a comical way after i had promised God not to counts.) Everytime i go to mass, if i see there are no preists in the confession room, i am relieved so i don't need to worry over whether i should go or not. Well.... i kind of dread going to it if i need to, but i know I must do it if i did something wrong. It takes up a lot of courage.

Anyway, I have beedn praying to God for letting me know and feel that i should go to confession if i need to. But well.. i am not so sure. Advice appreciated. Thanks!
A regular examination of conscience will be helpful in shedding light on what may need to be confessed, whether venial or mortal:

http://frpat.com/examen.htm

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old May 24, '10, 6:36 am

Hi-

My feeling would be that if you feel like you should, go. Even if you've committed no mortal sins that totally separate you from God, venial sins can weaken that relationship and make you more vulnerable to commit a mortal sin in the future. Plus, with absolution, you get to know for sure that you are forgiven. There are so many benefits to confession! It is a lesson in humility and many times the priest can give advise to help you overcome that sin.

Enjoy that feeling of absolution! It's a great one!
Old May 24, '10, 7:08 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laomath View Post
Hi-

My feeling would be that if you feel like you should, go. Even if you've committed no mortal sins that totally separate you from God, venial sins can weaken that relationship and make you more vulnerable to commit a mortal sin in the future. Plus, with absolution, you get to know for sure that you are forgiven. There are so many benefits to confession! It is a lesson in humility and many times the priest can give advise to help you overcome that sin.

Enjoy that feeling of absolution! It's a great one!
This is probably the best advice. Going more often is better than less often.

People so often get hung up on the details of confession and miss the larger benefit. The OP is a case in point. She sems to feel that she need not, or should not, go to confession unless she has something "serious" to confess. NOthing could be farther from the truth.

I don't know the OP, but her comment here, "...i know I must do it if i did something wrong ", concerns me. How many of us are living our lives without doing "something wrong"? Something that is contrary to the Great Law of Love?

Careful examination of conscience can bring to light groups of little things that add up to bigger things. For instance a number of seemingly insignificant "hostile" thoughts can point toward a problem with the deadly sin of Anger. Same way the other deadly sins like Envy, Pride, Lust, Gluttony and so on.
Looking at these and then discussiong them with your confessor can help you to grow in holiness. You don't need to stick with the formulaic listing of sins - in fact such "rote" kind of confessing is, in my opinion, not very beneficial. Rather than reeling off a list of samll sins, or skipping confession because you haven't any gross sins, look for teh underlying causes of the small sins and then confess these. Talk with your confessor about overcoming the deeper issues instead of assuming that because you haven't done anything serious, that you are okee-dokey.
Also, talking about these things, and confession regularly lets you tell your confessor when you are making progress. A relationship grows where your confessor knows you well and you know him. Discussion of your journey into holiness becomes easier and more joyful.

Having said the above I also note a fear on the OP's part about going to confession. Not sure why she is afraid, but there is nothing like familiarity to drive out fear. The more often one goes to confession the easier it becomes.

Please avail yourself of ALL that confession has to offer.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old May 24, '10, 7:19 am

People spend MILLIONS per year going to psychiatrists and counsellors!.....to make themselves 'feel' better!

Catholics go to confession!

As a rule of thumb, I would say if you're NOT sure, it's time to go...because something begins to bother you! Even if it is to say, "Father (Our Lord) I'm not sure why I came, but I am bothered!"

Humility takes courage in most instances! Fear not! Doubt not!

The universe is Catholic!?!

Old May 24, '10, 7:19 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

If you've committed a mortal sin then you need to go to confession as soon as possible.

If you've committed venial sins then confession isn't mandatory but is still a good thing to do.

When we talk about this in RCIA I tell people that they should find a rhythm in their lives for various things. There are things you do daily like pray. There are things you do weekly like go to Mass. There may be other things that you do monthly or quarterly or annually. What kind of rhythm should receiving God's mercy and love in the sacrament of Reconciliation have in your life?

The thing about recognizing and encouraging these rhythms in your life is that it takes the "feeling" aspect away. If I know that I pray every morning, for example, I don't have to think about whether I really feel like praying this morning, I just do it. I don't have to examine my feelings on Sunday to decide whether or not I want to go to Mass. And when it's time for me to go to confession, I don't have to consider whether or not I feel like going, I just go.

Feelings aren't always a good guide to deciding what to do. I may feel lazy on a certain morning, but if I ignore that feeling and go to work, it's ultimately a good thing. I may not feel like going to the doctor, but my health will be better if I keep my appointment. And I may not feel like going to confession, but my spiritual life will be better if I go anyway.
Old May 24, '10, 7:33 am

Pray to the Holy Spirit and ask Him to reveal to you your sinfullness. Confession is a wonderful gift Christ gave the Church, don't ever be afraid to go. In fact, the saints tell us we should make it monthly as a practice, or more. Scripture tells us even a just man sins seven times a day. We all are in need of mercy, and a great place to find it is in the confessional. And, the more you go, the easier it becomes, it really does. Good luck.
Old May 24, '10, 12:06 pm

While others have chosen to focus on forgiveness of sin as the aim of confession, it should be borne in mind that penance is one of the seven sacraments in which we meet the risen Christ face to face. Each such encounter produces in us an increase of Sanctifying Grace which makes us capable as human beings to someday see and relate to God as he really is. The more grace the better the capability. That alone is enough to make fairly frequent confession a regular practice. Don't wait till you are weighed down with sin to receive this wonderful Sacrament which makes all things new. Jesus, himself, in the person of his priest waits there to greet you and heal you. Don't refuse this opportunity to get to know him better.
Old May 25, '10, 11:12 am

Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius

Quote:

I try to go every week, although I may slip to two weeks once in a while. If I can't think of any sin (not likely) I will seek spiritual advice. It is very beneficial to receive the grace of confession frequently.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
Old May 26, '10, 7:42 am

Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect to see all these replies! They were very encouraging and i think I am going to go to confession. After all, I want to feel released. Phew, i am less bothered now. And a lot more hopeful. 1000000000000000000000 thanks guys!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics