Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 4, '10, 4:09 am
lost961 lost961 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: May 23, 2010
Posts: 9
Default Bible prohibits eating pork

Found this article thought worth sharing.

Both the Bible and the Qur’an prohibit the eating of pork. Muslims are aware of this prohibition and observe it strictly. However, most readers of the Bible say they do not know where they can find this in the Bible.


In the book of Leviticus, chapter 11, v. 7, it is recorded that God declares the pig to be unclean for believers. Then, in verse 8, God says: “You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” This command is repeated in Deuteronomy 14:7-8. Then, in Isaiah 65:2-4, and 66:17, God issues a stern warning against those who eat pork.


Some people are aware of this prohibition from God, but they say that they can eat pork because St. Paul said that all food is clean in his letter to the Romans 14:20. St. Paul said this because he believed (as he wrote in his letter to the Ephesians 2:14-15) that Jesus had abolished the Law with all its commandments and regulations. He seems, however, to have misunderstood what he heard about Jesus. In the Gospel According to Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus is reported to have said quite the contrary, as follows: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law . . . ."

Jesus then went on in that passage (in verse 19) to denounce anyone who would break the smallest commandment and teach others likewise. He also praised his true followers who will practice and teach even the smallest commandment. One of the commandments, as we have seen, is to stay away from pork.



This is why the true followers of Jesus, holding on to his teachings, did not let unclean food such as pork enter their mouths, so that Peter, the chief disciple, can say, “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean” (Acts of the Apostles, ch. 10, v. 14)

Five chapters later in the Acts of the Apostles, 15:29, we find that the original disciples still differentiate between clean and unclean foods, and this time Paul is in agreement with them. Six chapters later, in ch. 21, v. 25, their decision to impose food regulations on believers is mentioned without regret, and this time Paul is challenged to prove that he is in agreement with them; and he demonstrated his full agreement with them.

What remains, then, is that Jesus, on whom be peace, upheld the prohibition against pork. His disciples also upheld it, and so must all his followers. Those who fail to uphold it need to be informed and reminded of this rule from God. This is one reason why God sent His final messenger, on whom be peace. God says:

“O people of the Scripture ! Now has Our Messenger come unto you, expounding unto you much of that which you used to hide in the Scripture, and forgiving much. Now has come unto you light from Allah and a plain Scripture.” (The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’an 5:15)
  #2  
Old Jun 4, '10, 4:24 am
Brendan's Avatar
Brendan Brendan is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 13,151
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

No, those Levitcan laws of cleanliness were as a punishment to the Jews for their idolarty.

The prohibition on eating pork did not exist for Abraham. In fact, it was just the opposite. God had told Noah that ALL animals were to be food for him


Quote:
Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
Quote:
Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
Gen 9:1-3

God cannot act immorally. An offense against God is always an offense against God. But eating pork is not among those, as Jews from Noah to Moses could freely eat pork.

God is not so confused that He changes His mind on what offends Him.
__________________
Brendan
________________________________________ _______
  #3  
Old Jun 4, '10, 5:37 am
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,302
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Let us look at a couple of the verses you have pulled.
Start with Peter in Acts 10
12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14 But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean." 15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common
We see God telling Peter to eat, and Peter refusing.
Then we See God telling Peter not to call "common" that which God has "Cleansed".

Implication? God has Cleansed Pork and therefore it is no longer "unclean".

Next you refer to Acts 15:29:
that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.
No mention of Pork here or of "unclean foods". The prohibition is not agianst the type of food. It is against eating that offered to Idols.

Sorry - but these verses, nor any other in the New Testament Hold up.
Are you by chance Muslim?

Peace
James
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
  #4  
Old Jun 4, '10, 5:41 am
KathleenGee's Avatar
KathleenGee KathleenGee is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: September 15, 2009
Posts: 9,099
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

.........waiting to hear this person's ID....
  #5  
Old Jun 4, '10, 5:51 am
jakasaki's Avatar
jakasaki jakasaki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2008
Posts: 6,561
Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost961 View Post
Found this article thought worth sharing.

Both the Bible and the Qur’an prohibit the eating of pork. Muslims are aware of this prohibition and observe it strictly. However, most readers of the Bible say they do not know where they can find this in the Bible.


In the book of Leviticus, chapter 11, v. 7, it is recorded that God declares the pig to be unclean for believers. Then, in verse 8, God says: “You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” This command is repeated in Deuteronomy 14:7-8. Then, in Isaiah 65:2-4, and 66:17, God issues a stern warning against those who eat pork.


Some people are aware of this prohibition from God, but they say that they can eat pork because St. Paul said that all food is clean in his letter to the Romans 14:20. St. Paul said this because he believed (as he wrote in his letter to the Ephesians 2:14-15) that Jesus had abolished the Law with all its commandments and regulations. He seems, however, to have misunderstood what he heard about Jesus. In the Gospel According to Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus is reported to have said quite the contrary, as follows: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law . . . ."

Jesus then went on in that passage (in verse 19) to denounce anyone who would break the smallest commandment and teach others likewise. He also praised his true followers who will practice and teach even the smallest commandment. One of the commandments, as we have seen, is to stay away from pork.



This is why the true followers of Jesus, holding on to his teachings, did not let unclean food such as pork enter their mouths, so that Peter, the chief disciple, can say, “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean” (Acts of the Apostles, ch. 10, v. 14)

Five chapters later in the Acts of the Apostles, 15:29, we find that the original disciples still differentiate between clean and unclean foods, and this time Paul is in agreement with them. Six chapters later, in ch. 21, v. 25, their decision to impose food regulations on believers is mentioned without regret, and this time Paul is challenged to prove that he is in agreement with them; and he demonstrated his full agreement with them.

What remains, then, is that Jesus, on whom be peace, upheld the prohibition against pork. His disciples also upheld it, and so must all his followers. Those who fail to uphold it need to be informed and reminded of this rule from God. This is one reason why God sent His final messenger, on whom be peace. God says:

“O people of the Scripture ! Now has Our Messenger come unto you, expounding unto you much of that which you used to hide in the Scripture, and forgiving much. Now has come unto you light from Allah and a plain Scripture.” (The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’an 5:15)
Cite your source for "this artcile that you wanted to share"

Oh by the way, Leviticus also states that camel, hare & lizard is forbidden.

Lets see... ..... seems like muslims eat camel, hare & lizard.....
__________________

  #6  
Old Jun 4, '10, 6:09 am
Spencerian's Avatar
Spencerian Spencerian is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Posts: 1,478
Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Let us look at a couple of the verses you have pulled.
Start with Peter in Acts 10
12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14 But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean." 15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common
We see God telling Peter to eat, and Peter refusing.
Then we See God telling Peter not to call "common" that which God has "Cleansed".

Implication? God has Cleansed Pork and therefore it is no longer "unclean".

Next you refer to Acts 15:29:
that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.
No mention of Pork here or of "unclean foods". The prohibition is not agianst the type of food. It is against eating that offered to Idols.

Sorry - but these verses, nor any other in the New Testament Hold up.
Are you by chance Muslim?

Peace
James
To elaborate on this:

The passages here illustrate an important point. God is re-illustrating to Peter that much of the strictures of the Old Covenant no longer apply. God is pointing out to Peter that, in following the New Covenant, such restrictions are no longer in place.

Thus, as Christians, we are by definition of the New Covenant not required to follow Jewish (Old Covenant) dietary restrictions. Christians do not practice Judaic law. It is also why the commandment of the Lord's Day now falls on a Sunday, and not the Sabbath.
__________________


"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc



  #7  
Old Jun 4, '10, 7:15 am
oneGODoneCHURCH's Avatar
oneGODoneCHURCH oneGODoneCHURCH is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 14, 2007
Posts: 2,580
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Just to point out Christ also stated it is what comes out of the moth not what goes in that make a man unclean.
__________________
Gloria in Excelsis Deo


He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
  #8  
Old Jun 4, '10, 8:29 am
jakasaki's Avatar
jakasaki jakasaki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2008
Posts: 6,561
Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakasaki View Post
Cite your source for "this artcile that you wanted to share"

Oh by the way, Leviticus also states that camel, hare & lizard is forbidden.

Lets see... ..... seems like muslims eat camel, hare & lizard.....
Earlier I asked to your source information....

I found it and it's all over the internet on islamic sites.... the link below is just one out of many that have the same infromation.

http://www.quran.net/comp-std/pork.htm

I also noticed that you have 4 posts since joining.... your first 3 posts/threads were deleted by the mods/admins..... hmmmmmm

Please troll elsewhere...
__________________

  #9  
Old Jun 4, '10, 12:47 pm
lost961 lost961 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: May 23, 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

hey thanks for letting me know that my other posts were deleted , I was wondering what happened to them now I know. people of faith should show tolerance to each other doesnt matter if you are jew, christian or muslim but by deleting my post shows other wise and I can assure you if someone is able to pull those they will not find anything offensive to anyone. I joined this forum because I needed clarity on something important well at least it was important to me unfortunately who ever answers those questions didn't see it that way. By the way it was a reall life senario that I was dealing with and it was related to faith. I guess dont ask difficult questions or they will dissapear.

Now someone said I must be a muslim what the freak that suppose to mean ? are you a better human being because of what? your faith if thats the case then jews and muslims will think the same so shame on you for calling yourself a catholic and at the same time having such negative opinion about others.

Oh I'm still waiting for my questions to be answered by moderators of this forum I hope they do .

As far as source of this article it was posted on some blog I will do my best to find it again
overall I am enjoying this particularly different opinions when it comes to religion , hot headed will say he is a muslim and the wise one will involve in constructive debate or argument . hope will chat with you guys again when I find something else for a good conversation but please hot headed ones if you dont like it you dont have to reply I bet there are plenty of them out there lets behave and act like adults .
  #10  
Old Jun 4, '10, 12:50 pm
jakasaki's Avatar
jakasaki jakasaki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2008
Posts: 6,561
Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Posts only get deleted if they break the forum rules, so you obviously, didn't read the CAF posting rules and therefore you posted something inappropriate...
__________________

  #11  
Old Jun 4, '10, 12:52 pm
jakasaki's Avatar
jakasaki jakasaki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2008
Posts: 6,561
Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost961 View Post
hey thanks for letting me know that my other posts were deleted , I was wondering what happened to them now I know. people of faith should show tolerance to each other doesnt matter if you are jew, christian or muslim but by deleting my post shows other wise and I can assure you if someone is able to pull those they will not find anything offensive to anyone. I joined this forum because I needed clarity on something important well at least it was important to me unfortunately who ever answers those questions didn't see it that way. By the way it was a reall life senario that I was dealing with and it was related to faith. I guess dont ask difficult questions or they will dissapear.

Now someone said I must be a muslim what the freak that suppose to mean ? are you a better human being because of what? your faith if thats the case then jews and muslims will think the same so shame on you for calling yourself a catholic and at the same time having such negative opinion about others.

Oh I'm still waiting for my questions to be answered by moderators of this forum I hope they do .

As far as source of this article it was posted on some blog I will do my best to find it again
overall I am enjoying this particularly different opinions when it comes to religion , hot headed will say he is a muslim and the wise one will involve in constructive debate or argument . hope will chat with you guys again when I find something else for a good conversation but please hot headed ones if you dont like it you dont have to reply I bet there are plenty of them out there lets behave and act like adults .
__________________

  #12  
Old Jun 4, '10, 12:59 pm
benidict benidict is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 2, 2009
Posts: 3,999
Religion: Skeptical Catholic/Politically Libertarian
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

i am going to eat pork now...in the form of a ham and bacon pizza! mmmm...yummy! and maybe later, pulled pork. this is a big food item in hawaii. must be all the stray pigs running around.
  #13  
Old Jun 4, '10, 1:06 pm
jakasaki's Avatar
jakasaki jakasaki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2008
Posts: 6,561
Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by benidict View Post
i am going to eat pork now...in the form of a ham and bacon pizza! mmmm...yummy! and maybe later, pulled pork. this is a big food item in hawaii. must be all the stray pigs running around.


I'm waiting for JC to post his Irish breakfast picture.....
__________________

  #14  
Old Jun 4, '10, 2:30 pm
Mikeoffaith Mikeoffaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2010
Posts: 500
Religion: Lutheran
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by benidict View Post
i am going to eat pork now...in the form of a ham and bacon pizza! mmmm...yummy! and maybe later, pulled pork. this is a big food item in hawaii. must be all the stray pigs running around.
Bendict-

Some kalua pork and lau lau here I come! Are you in Hawaii by chance? Yeah my family is definitely of the pork eating kind. Every major holiday revolves around pork except for Thanksgiving.

Mike
  #15  
Old Jun 4, '10, 2:36 pm
Mikeoffaith Mikeoffaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2010
Posts: 500
Religion: Lutheran
Default Re: Bible prohibits eating pork

Sorry bendict, I should have read a bit more carefully and realized you were right in the middle of Oahu.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8349Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5088CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: eschator83
4408Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3858SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3669Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3268Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3244Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3085For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:20 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.