Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 4, '10, 7:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Is it a sin for women to wear bikinis?

Is it? Just wondering.

May The Lord be with you always! God bless! Have a blessed day!
Old Jun 4, '10, 7:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin for women to wear bikinis?

In general no.

It becomes a sin when a women where's clothes- or lack there of- in order to make her body out as an object. Thus her intention for a wearing a bikini is important.

-SBD
Old Jun 4, '10, 7:17 pm

What kind of bikini, and where, and amongst whom?

These are my personal opinions:

If a bikini is being worn to attract attention to one's body, or deliberately to excite lust, then I'd say it's a sin.

If it's being worn among a group of swimmers, most of whom are wearing bikinis, then it seems to be more of a uniform, and is probably not sinful. I'm talking about swimmers, not beachgoers or partiers who might also swim.

If it's being worn by a pole dancer, then she is sinning, and the men who are watching sin even more.

Hope this helps,

Ruthie the modest
Old Jun 4, '10, 7:21 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic, with a love for the Byzantine East

St. Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, said that women (and men!) should dress modestly. Ummm.... I don't think you could get much more immodest than a bikini! :P Seriously, could you possibly take away any more of the woman's clothing? She'd be naked!

Look at how Mary dressed... I'm not saying women should go to that extreme anymore, but there's a lesson to be learned from how Our Lady presents herself.
Old Jun 4, '10, 7:23 pm

Well, it all depends upon where they are at the time. There is a time and place for everything.

In Church? Nope. You're outta here on your ear!

On the beach? It's probably perfectly okay, as long as it's a real swim suit. A "bikini" that a woman cannot actually swim in for fear of "fallout," is undoubtedly way too risque to wear at all, unless she's on her own fenced-in private deck, where she really wouldn't need to wear anything at all, if she was looking to avoid suntan lines.

As long as the garment adequately covers the necessary parts a woman's body (front and back), and doesn't emphasize male ogling, I'd judge it to be morally acceptable. A bikini is actually sometimes more acceptable than some of the wilder "one-piece" suits.
Old Jun 4, '10, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyguy View Post
Well, it all depends upon where they are at the time. There is a time and place for everything.

In Church? Nope. You're outta here on your ear!

On the beach? It's probably perfectly okay, as long as it's a real swim suit. A "bikini" that a woman cannot actually swim in for fear of "fallout," is undoubtedly way too risque to wear at all, unless she's on her own fenced-in private deck, where she really wouldn't need to wear anything at all, if she was looking to avoid suntan lines.

As long as the garment adequately covers the necessary parts a woman's body (front and back), and doesn't emphasize male ogling, I'd judge it to be morally acceptable. A bikini is actually sometimes more acceptable than some of the wilder "one-piece" suits.

I agree with the last statement. I have seen some two piece suits that are more modest than other one-piece suits. I further agree that it depends on the situation; ultimately, the goal should be to NOT bring attention to ones self.
"...Why are you afraid? Have you no faith?" Mark 4:40
Old Jun 5, '10, 5:47 am

I think it is. There is really no reason to wear one--you can wear a one piece instead. There isn't anything you can do in a one piece that you can't do in a bikini.

I just don't know what people's standards are for modesty anymore....but the only thing I can think of is that only 100% nudity is completely immodest.
Old Jun 5, '10, 7:51 am

Religion: Traditional Catholic

It's not a sin, but it can be an occasion of sin, both for the woman wearing it (if she's doing it to deliberately flaunt herself and incite lustful ogling) and for those who look upon her and lust after her.

Some great answers have already been provided; there are a number of different situations in which wearing a bikini can be without sin and totally sinful. Intention is a huge part of it.

"The true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but men of tradition."
-
Pope Saint Pius X
Old Jun 5, '10, 3:36 pm
Forum Elder

It is certainly an occasion for sin. That is why I am never going to a beach again. I don't want to see a bunch of young women running around in their underwear or in those stupid thong things.

God bless,
Ed
Old Jun 5, '10, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
It is certainly an occasion for sin. That is why I am never going to a beach again. I don't want to see a bunch of young women running around in their underwear or in those stupid thong things.

God bless,
Ed
I'm not so prudish that I don't enjoy the sight of beautiful women at the beach; but if I want a class in anatomy, I'll enroll at college. The sin lies in the viewer's heart; if the viewer of a beautiful woman (or a super-studly guy) lets nasty thoughts accompany the sight, he needs to plunge and flush his mind in confession. But I see nothing wrong in appreciating the inherent beauty of a woman, any more than there is anything wrong with appreciating the beauty of a perfect rose-bud as it blooms into mature glory.

Many beaches at lakes around here near Chicago (Chain-O-Lakes area) won't allow "cheeky" swim suits: the women's butt-cheeks gotta be covered up. One mayor was getting queried about "how much needs to be covered" and he said "The law is word-specific. If you can't understand it, our public library has dictionaries."

Now, in Chicago at Lake Michigan's beaches, I have no clue.

I can't imagine that those thong bottoms could possibly be comfortable, with that string stuck between the wearer's back cheeks... seems to me like it'd be having a constant atomic wedgie.
Old Jun 5, '10, 4:49 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I'm not so prudish that I don't enjoy the sight of beautiful women at the beach; but if I want a class in anatomy, I'll enroll at college. The sin lies in the viewer's heart; if the viewer of a beautiful woman (or a super-studly guy) lets nasty thoughts accompany the sight, he needs to plunge and flush his mind in confession. But I see nothing wrong in appreciating the inherent beauty of a woman, any more than there is anything wrong with appreciating the beauty of a perfect rose-bud as it blooms into mature glory.

Many beaches at lakes around here near Chicago (Chain-O-Lakes area) won't allow "cheeky" swim suits: the women's butt-cheeks gotta be covered up. One mayor was getting queried about "how much needs to be covered" and he said "The law is word-specific. If you can't understand it, our public library has dictionaries."

Now, in Chicago at Lake Michigan's beaches, I have no clue.

I can't imagine that those thong bottoms could possibly be comfortable, with that string stuck between the wearer's back cheeks... seems to me like it'd be having a constant atomic wedgie.

I enjoy being a prude. I find it to be an agreeable alternative lifestyle. If a woman is beautiful, there is no need for her to run around in her underwear.

God bless,
Ed
Old Jun 5, '10, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I enjoy being a prude. I find it to be an agreeable alternative lifestyle. If a woman is beautiful, there is no need for her to run around in her underwear.
God bless,
Ed
A swim suit is not underwear. Some bikinis are definitely NOT swim suits. THAT's where I draw the line. If I saw a woman walking on a beach to swim in an ankle-length dress, I'd judge her to be out of place... or out of her mind. A dress like that could drag her to the bottom of a lake and drown her. A properly proportioned two-piece swim suit offers the wearer a lot more flexibility to swim with less fatigue and physical stress.

Read my post #5 above where I clearly stated my viewpoint.
Old Jun 5, '10, 5:33 pm
Forum Elder

You haven't looked at any recent covers of the Sports Illustrated "swimsuit" issue, have you?

God bless,
Ed
Old Jun 5, '10, 6:56 pm

Quote:

[/IMG]
In all due respect, I disagree with you. I am a woman and I am telling you most women wear bikinis out of pride and vanity, both of which are sins. It is uncharitable to wear bikinis around men. Modesty is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Bikinis are not modest, not now, not ever. Do you honestly think the Holy Spirit wants you to go around wearing clothing that highlights your breast and butt and leaves you 90% naked?

You can swim in a one piece just fine.
Old Jun 6, '10, 8:45 am

Question: Do you believe that most of the women on beaches wearing bikinis are sinning?

May The Lord be with you always! God bless! Have a blessed day!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology