Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 6, '10, 10:09 pm

Religion: Former Baptist, joining RCIA soon!
Question How do I know when God is telling me to do something?

I may sound crazy so please bare with me.

I will talking to a priest for the first time on Tuseday, and I feel anxious. when I read about the Catholic Church I was filled with great joy, and I belived that God was telling me that he wanted me to go join, but now I am doubting if its just me being crazy (as usual).

1. Is me being anxious a sign or just me being silly?

2. How can we know when God is speaking to our hearts?
Old Jun 6, '10, 10:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do I know when God is telling me to do something?

When God speaks to you, it results in peace of soul and joy. Anxiety is rarely from God.

Any kind of change can produce anxiety, and this is a big change. People with courage ignore the anxiety and do the right thing anyway.

Be of good courage - keep learning about the Catholic Church!

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jun 6, '10, 11:49 pm

Well this is a Catholic forum, so what kind of responses do you expect? Of course we think God is telling you to be Catholic.

All I can say is when you get really confused about conflicting emotional signals , first of all pray of course. God won't lead you astray. Second of all, ask your intellect. Does Catholicism make more sense to you intellectually?

Old Jun 6, '10, 11:55 pm

Smile Re: How do I know when God is telling me to do something?

(This is my story, kind of long, but I hope it helps.)

I've been researching and asking questions for months, praying that God will give me a 'sign' to let me know what to do (I'm coming from a strong Southern Baptist background so things like having statues around and prayers to Mary and the Saints have been difficult to accept). Recently I found a friend who gave me a copy of the Catechism to read and suggested I attend mass with he his wife.

So, I attended mass for the first time today. On the way there my stomach was churning! Even though we'd discussed it already, on the way there I kept thinking of things that could go wrong,"What if I stick out? What if I'm in the way? How much of the service do I participate in?"

When I finally parked the first thing I saw was the statue of Mary in front of the Church. There is no way to explain the feeling of absolute peace that came over me. All my nerves went away and I had no choice but to go in; it felt like it was where I needed to be.

The reservations I was feeling, personally, turned out to be very shallow. I was worried about being in an uncomfortable situation...how crazy is that? After all that Jesus Christ went through for me. His Mother gave me the comfort and courage I needed just to step through the door, and if that isn't a sign I don't know what is!
Old Jun 7, '10, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkthemissing View Post
I may sound crazy so please bare with me.

I will talking to a priest for the first time on Tuseday, and I feel anxious. when I read about the Catholic Church I was filled with great joy, and I belived that God was telling me that he wanted me to go join, but now I am doubting if its just me being crazy (as usual).

1. Is me being anxious a sign or just me being silly?

As Betsy said, joy and peace are from God. You read about the Catholic Church and felt joy. This sounds like when Jesus was talking to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus and they felt their hearts burning within them. You made a decision to make an appointment with the priest based on the joy you were feeling. You felt you were discerning God's will and you acted from that feeling. In all likelihood, this was a wise decision and you would do well to carry out what you decided.

Now you are feeling anxious. Jesus has told us not to be anxious. So it is not likely this feeling is from God. I don't think you are being silly; I think you are being bothered by a spirit that is not from God and does not want you to talk to a priest. So it is causing you to be anxious and to doubt yourself.

Also, being a little nervous about something unfamiliar like speaking to a priest is normal. But what could happen? He's not going to grab a stick and yell at you for bothering him. The worst that could happen is that you might find out that the Catholic church is not where God wants you to be. If that happened, at least you will know that you looked into it. The best that could happen is that you find out that God is calling you into the Church to bring you close to Him. That's totally worth suffering a little bit of nervousness. Just ask God to lead you to the truth. He answers that kind of prayer.

2. How can we know when God is speaking to our hearts?

At times God's voice is loud and clear, other times it's hard to know for sure. The fact that you felt joy is a sign that the thought is from God. The more you pray and get to know God, the more you will recognize His voice. Or at least you will be pretty sure when it's not His voice.

For instance, God may make you feel sorrow for your sins but you will have a feeling of hope and gratefulness to God for His mercy. A spirit that isn't from God will make you feel discouraged, hopeless, and stupid
. You will want to run away or give up.

Does a dyslexic atheist refuse to believe in dog??
Old Jun 7, '10, 1:48 am

Religion: Marian CATHOLIC

God tells us over, and over, and over again, have no anxiety, he tells us this, this many times knowing we will face plenty of it, and this is when we question him if we give into it.

This is his church, the one he started, simply trust it and leave the rest to him to disclose to you as you can handle it. Enjoy the embrace and relax, you are coming home and the Prodigal Father is there with open arms, welcoming you to his bosom.

God bless you and may his divine mercy extend to you and all around you forever!!!
Old Jun 7, '10, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being_Brave View Post
When I finally parked the first thing I saw was the statue of Mary in front of the Church. There is no way to explain the feeling of absolute peace that came over me. All my nerves went away and I had no choice but to go in; it felt like it was where I needed to be.
When I saw the first sentence here, I was afraid you were going to say the statue of Mary was the final straw - idolatry! - and that you turned around and left. How lovely that our Mother gave you the peace of soul you needed!

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality