Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 11, '10, 5:16 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Disciplining Children

What do you think in terms of disciplining children? What do you think is appropriate? Do you think certain measures are too harsh or too soft? How would it change for different age groups? Of course the most important thing here is what is best for the child, so keeping that in mind, what ways do you think are the most effective ways to discipline children/teens, etc.

Personally (though I'm a teen, and I don't have children, so maybe I'm wrong), I think that parents are too soft these days...
Old Jun 11, '10, 5:50 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Disciplining Children

And by soft I mean, many parents (i've personally noticed) don't care what their child is doing at all...
Old Jun 11, '10, 6:00 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic (sympathizing with SSPX, ICKSP, & FSSP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4 View Post
What do you think in terms of disciplining children? What do you think is appropriate? Do you think certain measures are too harsh or too soft? How would it change for different age groups? Of course the most important thing here is what is best for the child, so keeping that in mind, what ways do you think are the most effective ways to discipline children/teens, etc.

Personally (though I'm a teen, and I don't have children, so maybe I'm wrong), I think that parents are too soft these days...
same age group and i agree with you
Old Jun 11, '10, 6:03 pm

You're asking pretty broad questions. Of course disclipline is needing in raising children, but there are many many forms of discipline, and of course one type is appropriate for one developmental stage of a child, and the same type wouldn't be appropriate for an older child.

Discipline needs to be appropriate for the age and developmental phase of the child, as well as what the child did to be in need of some discipline.

For example, teaching a smaller child to go to bed at a certain time, consistently, may be by reading him or her a story before bed. This is still a form of discipline because you are establishing a good habit, but you're also compromising with the child. However, on a school night, if your 11 year old is not wanting to go to bed, you tell him or her get ready for bed anyway or a privelidge will be taken away.

Do you have a specific senario in mind?
Old Jun 11, '10, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
You're asking pretty broad questions. Of course disclipline is needing in raising children, but there are many many forms of discipline, and of course one type is appropriate for one developmental stage of a child, and the same type wouldn't be appropriate for an older child.

Discipline needs to be appropriate for the age and developmental phase of the child, as well as what the child did to be in need of some discipline.

For example, teaching a smaller child to go to bed at a certain time, consistently, may be by reading him or her a story before bed. This is still a form of discipline because you are establishing a good habit, but you're also compromising with the child. However, on a school night, if your 11 year old is not wanting to go to bed, you tell him or her get ready for bed anyway or a privelidge will be taken away.

Do you have a specific senario in mind?
This is a great post. I was going to say something similar. Discipline appropriateness varies from child to child. In the school I worked in we had a saying "fair is not always equal." I think that's important to remember. One child may require one form of discipline while another requires something different in order to learn. The important thing is that discipline is used to teach and cause growth, rather than as revenge. I think so long as the discipline being given is done out of love and desire for growth, takes into account developmental appropriateness, and is not born out of anger, you're going to be okay.

Of course, all of this is from a teacher-in-training's standpoint :S lol
Old Jun 11, '10, 7:26 pm

My children are 10 & 7, I don't believe in corporal punishment, and I especially don't believe in name calling or belittling children. It doesn't work, anyway.

My punishments are usually "quality of life" things -- whatever my kids really value is the first to go, for example, bedtimes (MY daughter HATES early bedtime), bicycles, TV time, and visits with friends (No play dates tomorrow, etc).

Right now, my daughter is really into fish and has a fish tank. She has been very sassy this week and I told her I won't bring her to the fish store until she gets her sassy mouth under control (She has money from her Grandma that she wants to spend on fish, but I refuse to take her). She may get to go Sunday after Mass, I see she is trying hard!!
Old Jun 11, '10, 8:00 pm
Banned

Religion: Lutheran

Disciplining children is like pitching. There are certain fundamentals, but it's also about constant adjustment and knowing your hitter.
Old Jun 12, '10, 9:30 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheranteach View Post
Disciplining children is like pitching. There are certain fundamentals, but it's also about constant adjustment and knowing your hitter.
I really like this analogy and if you don't mind I would like to use it in the future. My dh teaches martial arts. Most parents come in because their children need discipline. Come to find out is because most parents do not want to say "No" or "Yes, you will" when it is needed. There are some things that should not be choices. While I do not raise my stepdaughter we had the - I am not your friend, I am an adult, you are a child argument a long time ago. It wasn't comfortable. She ran to daddy and daddy told her she was wrong. She also knows that I will never lie to her and that if she needs protecting and doesn't know how to ask for it she can come to me. And she has. So yes we have found our boundaries but I am not going to put myself as an adult on the same discipline level as an 11 year old and then wonder why I am listened to?

Currently in formation with the Secular Franciscan Order:
Click Here for More Information on Finding an SFO Fraternity Near You
Old Jun 12, '10, 10:33 am

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Firm but fair and loving discipline has always been my goal through the years with my children, but it seems to be lacking in many homes these days unfortunately. There are many times when a parent must say NO and that's it. Reasons may be given by the parent if necessary. Every toddler/child/teenager is different and requires slightly different approaches. Withholding of privileges is one excellent approach once a child reaches an age to understand it. Before that, it won't do much good, so other firm but fair methods must be utilized instead.

Yelling is seldom very effective but also hard not to do. A better way is trying to keep a calm but firm voice if possible that says it like it is in no uncertain terms.

And disciplining begins from the moment a very young child reaches for something dangerous or does something he shouldn't (such as hurt another person or throw a temper tantrum) and continues through the years from there with no days off. It could be said to begin from day one in insisting that a new baby sleep in his own crib or bassinet and not get used to sleeping in his parent's bed.

The longer a parent waits to begin disciplining their child, the harder it will be and the more confused the child becomes about what is allowed and what isn't. Our children have actually thanked my husband and I now that they are adults for being firm with them through the years, and their teachers and other adults often mentioned what "good, polite kids" they were as they were growing up. How sweet that was for us to hear, and it made our children happy and proud to hear it also!

Children are true blessings from God, but they don't know proper rules until they're taught by their parents!
Old Jun 12, '10, 10:49 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4 View Post

Well, first off it would be useful to state what discipline is and is not. Discipline does not mean the same thing as punishment even though punishment is a subset of discipline. Discipline is much more broad.

Discipline could be better thought of in terms of how Jesus often put things: As a "grower" in charge of a tree or vine. Wayward branches need to literally be "nipped at the bud" but those that are growing in the way they should be can be left to grow or encouraged. The plant needs adequate, but not too much, light, fertilizer, and water. Sometimes it has to be cut back but other times is allowed to grow as it will. A very young plant will need special care (perhaps being staked) and will sometimes need to be physically forced to grow a certain way. An older plant probably just needs some occasional maintenance.

All that said, children ARE rather like plants. They have individual needs based on who they are. Most are going to need some physical discipline but there will probably be some who never do or who would be harmed by it more than helped. Most will need to be "staked" while young for their own protection. They will all need proper nourishment (physical, mental, and spiritual) but the requirements will be individual. Just as with plants, control and nourishment needs will depend on the environment.

As usual I am being very vague, but disciplining children is a science, not just a set of rules.
Old Jun 12, '10, 12:32 pm

Consistency is most important. Set ground rules and don't vary.
Old Jun 12, '10, 1:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandarc2008 View Post
My dh teaches martial arts. Most parents come in because their children need discipline. Come to find out is because most parents do not want to say "No" or "Yes, you will" when it is needed....
Then they wonder why their child stays under control for their teacher or coach, but not for the parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachsiemom2 View Post
Consistency is most important. Set ground rules and don't vary.
Absolutely. The way I look at it, I teach my kids what to expect. If there is no rhyme or reason to the consequences their actions bring, then they will decide far more often that the gamble is worth it.

If you give your child a warning every time they misbehave, and only then apply consequences after the second offense, the child will learn that one "mistake" is "allowed". Rather, they should know that any second chances they get are an occasional gift, not a given.

You can also let your kids know that they teach you how much to trust them. This involves giving them feedback, both positive and negative. When you let them do what they want up until the last minute, then promptly transition to whatever they're supposed to be doing--getting ready for bed, doing their chores, whatever--then you tell them, "You promised you'd get ready for bed right away if I gave you extra time, and you kept your promise. You've just taught me that I can trust you to do what you say when the time comes. Good job. Thank you." When you let them watch TV for a half an hour before doing homework, and you never have to nag them a word to get going when the time has come, you tell them that they've taught you to trust them there.

You should always set consequences so that things can still get better or still get worse. If you apply the worst consequence right off the bat, then there is nothing you can do when the child goes ballistic. If you lighten the consequence if the child makes an honest effort to reform, then the child learns that good faith repentance is worth the effort.

Sometimes, if the child digs himself into a huge hole, you have to show them the way out of it. You don't let him off, but you can tone down the drama and let him know that there is a path to redemption.
Old Jun 12, '10, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Then they wonder why their child stays under control for their teacher or coach, but not for the parent
That's also why my dh tries to spend time "coaching" parents as well.

Currently in formation with the Secular Franciscan Order:
Click Here for More Information on Finding an SFO Fraternity Near You
Old Jun 12, '10, 1:48 pm
Forum Elder

It's necessary to always follow through with everything that you say you're going to do - which means, never tell a kid you are going to do something that you can't or won't do, whether it's taking him to the movies every Saturday, or grounding him for life.

I remember a speaker talking about this issue one time and recalling that his mother once became so frustrated that she told him if he did thus and so one more time, she was going to throw him out a window into the snow.

Well, he did it one more time - so, she opened a window, and gently lowered him out the window, into the snow. It was at that point that he realized that, although she would never hurt him intentionally, she would always try to do whatever she told him she was going to do. He never doubted her word again, and became quite well-behaved.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jun 12, '10, 3:13 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandarc2008 View Post
That's also why my dh tries to spend time "coaching" parents as well.
And Heaven smiles, of that we can be sure.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life