Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 13, '10, 3:49 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Do you go to Hell if you commit suicide?

Hello All,

I am feeling very troubled. A friend of mine who had for many years struggled with addictions and mental illness took her own life last month. She was going through some really hard times, and I think she just couldn't see any end in sight, poor thing. I don't know why she didn't ask for help. I feel terrible that I wasn't there for her.

I have been praying for the peaceful repose of her soul, but feel terrible that I might not be able to see her in Heaven. Is she condemned to Hell for having taken her own life?

"O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!"
Old Jun 13, '10, 3:58 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic
Default Re: Do you go to Hell if you commit suicide?

Quote:
=AngelaBarbara;6742308]Hello All,

I am feeling very troubled. A friend of mine who had for many years struggled with addictions and mental illness took her own life last month. She was going through some really hard times, and I think she just couldn't see any end in sight, poor thing. I don't know why she didn't ask for help. I feel terrible that I wasn't there for her.

I have been praying for the peaceful repose of her soul, but feel terrible that I might not be able to see her in Heaven. Is she condemned to Hell for having taken her own life?
The official position of the Church is theologically sound, and like Jesus Himself; filled with understanding and compassion.

"We are NOT to Judge; not to assume" that these pour souls ar lost for eternity.

This is founded on the understanding that taking ones own life is driven by extreme circumstances, which well might effect that persons cupability. [Personal guilt]. It is well to assume the best and to pray and offer Masses for them.

God's continued blessings

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Jun 13, '10, 4:09 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Lightbulb Re: Do you go to Hell if you commit suicide?

I found these links up in the Ask An Apologist forum and they look good so I hope they help.
Here is the section from the Catechism on suicide.
Quote:
Suicide
2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.
2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:12 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaBarbara View Post
Hello All,

That is an interesting question, considering the catholic church up until recently denied a christian burial for those who took their lives. Now, they accept them.
I'm sure someone here can explain the sudden change of heart the church took.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Jun 13, '10, 4:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Indeed, we do not know the answer to this. In order to commit a mortal sin, a person has to be fully consenting. A person in such distress that they would take their own life is hardly in a state to give a rational, full consent to their actions. Let us pray for mercy on your friend's soul. Grant her Eternal Rest, O Lord...

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieH View Post
Indeed, we do not know the answer to this. In order to commit a mortal sin, a person has to be fully consenting. A person in such distress that they would take their own life is hardly in a state to give a rational, full consent to their actions. Let us pray for mercy on your friend's soul. Grant her Eternal Rest, O Lord...
Your reply does not make it clear why the Catholic Church refused a Christian burial to those who died from suicide. Can you elaborate a bit, to clarify why they changed heart on this?

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:37 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post
That is an interesting question, considering the catholic church up until recently denied a christian burial for those who took their lives. Now, they accept them.
Greater understanding of the psychological distress that leads to suicide. In former times, it was assumed that people were choosing to kill themselves willfully, and for the purpose of "murdering the whole world" as certain 19th century writers phrased it.

Today, while we still understand that suicide is an angry action, we also understand that people only become that angry when they are under unendurable stress, and when they have suffered a total mental collapse.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jun 13, '10, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
Greater understanding of the psychological distress that leads to suicide. In former times, it was assumed that people were choosing to kill themselves willfully, and for the purpose of "murdering the whole world" as certain 19th century writers phrased it.

Today, while we still understand that suicide is an angry action, we also understand that people only become that angry when they are under unendurable stress, and when they have suffered a total mental collapse.
This could be taken to mean that the church is constantly in need of updating their understanding of all sorts of distress, and not just this particular kind.?

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:52 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
How do I answer my children's questions about suicide?

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:54 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieH View Post

Old Jun 13, '10, 4:55 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
This could be taken to mean that the church is constantly in need of updating their understanding of all sorts of distress, and not just this particular kind.?
We are constantly learning new things, yes - and reacting in an appropriately pastoral manner, when we do.

Keep in mind, nobody else realized there was something psychologically wrong with people who were committing suicide back then, either - and it would have been considered "pandering" to give them a Christian burial.

Indeed, in support of the idea of not "rewarding" a suicide with positive attention after death, the story is told of some girls in ancient Rome who, one after the other, were committing suicide. At the beginning, the girls were being given lavish funerals with fine music, being buried in beautiful graveyards, with much weeping and wailing - and more and more girls were committing suicide, to the point where the prefect of that region realized that there were going to be no more marriageable girls in that age group (thus spelling death for the whole community), if something was not done. He realized that at least part of the problem was attention-seeking behaviour, so the next girl who committed suicide, he hung her body out in the desert for the buzzards to eat, and forbade her friends and family from mourning her death.

No more girls in that community committed suicide, after that.

i don't know if that's a true story or not, but the point of the story is that, if you want to prevent people from committing suicide, don't reward them for it - which is part of what was behind the Church's negative attitude towards giving Christian burial to suicides.

Today, we realize that things are more complicated than that. I suppose if there were some risk of copy-cat suicides in a particular situation, the Church would keep the funeral very low-key and quiet.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jun 13, '10, 6:27 pm

Quote:
The Church simply says that we cannot judge the state of one who commits suicide because we don't know all of the variables involved. Suicide, with full knowledge and consent of the will, is still a grave sin but one who has a diminished mental capacity is not held to the same degree of culpability as one who has their full mental faculties. I'm sure that in past times people were not surprised by certain actions of those who were known to be mentally unbalanced and gave a certain amount of leeway in dealing with them; it is the same thing.
Old Jun 13, '10, 7:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I will be praying for the repose of your friend's soul.

As others have stated, we do not know how the Lord judges these situations. But we can hope in His Mercy, which is great.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
Old Jun 13, '10, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post
The Church simply says that we cannot judge the state of one who commits suicide because we don't know all of the variables involved. Suicide, with full knowledge and consent of the will, is still a grave sin but one who has a diminished mental capacity is not held to the same degree of culpability as one who has their full mental faculties. I'm sure that in past times people were not surprised by certain actions of those who were known to be mentally unbalanced and gave a certain amount of leeway in dealing with them; it is the same thing.
All you are doing is telling me what the catholic church finally changed it's mind about.
You are not telling me why so many people for so long had to suffer her ignorance on the topic.

Old Jun 13, '10, 7:33 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
In former times, it was assumed that people were choosing to kill themselves willfully
Which is why assumptions about salvation of another is never a good idea. How sad the anquish and distress the Church put people thru in the past whose loved ones may have committed suicide. Mortal sin. No Christian burial for your loved one. Seems God would have told the Apostolic successors not to assume mortal sin even while society was still learning if the successors are actually to define mortal sin. This is why I take what the successors say with a grain of salt. What is mortal sin yesterday may not be tomorrow as they learn more. It's sorta like one bishop saying it's a mortal sin if you don't obey my decree and attend Mass Nov 1 or 40 days after Easter. And another saying don't worry just attend on the Sundays.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics