Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 14, '10, 5:34 pm

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2010 :)
Default Protestants and fear

Hello I just want to go ahead and say: I KNOW that not all Protestants feel or act the way that I'm about to describe. This just seems to be a popular trend amongst the division:

Lately, I've been noticing that a lot of Protestant groups resort to fear in attempts to convert people to their faith. I live on a college campus and we're always getting those groups that rant and rave about who's going to burn in hell (especially us Catholics), and how very few people are going to be "saved". The pure and perfect love that God has for EVERY SINGLE one of us is so infinite, and I'm so tired of people misrepresenting Him as one to toss His beloved children into fire and brimstone just like that. It makes me really angry, and I'm trying to understand why it might happen. Does anyone have any idea of why this happens, or seems to be a trend? My thoughts are that it could be a control issue (fear is very powerful) or that it's simply charisma taken WAY too far. Any opinions?
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:22 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Protestants and fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonadish View Post
Hello I just want to go ahead and say: I KNOW that not all Protestants feel or act the way that I'm about to describe. This just seems to be a popular trend amongst the division:

Lately, I've been noticing that a lot of Protestant groups resort to fear in attempts to convert people to their faith. I live on a college campus and we're always getting those groups that rant and rave about who's going to burn in hell (especially us Catholics), and how very few people are going to be "saved". The pure and perfect love that God has for EVERY SINGLE one of us is so infinite, and I'm so tired of people misrepresenting Him as one to toss His beloved children into fire and brimstone just like that. It makes me really angry, and I'm trying to understand why it might happen. Does anyone have any idea of why this happens, or seems to be a trend? My thoughts are that it could be a control issue (fear is very powerful) or that it's simply charisma taken WAY too far. Any opinions?
Why do you say "lately"? This is much less prevalent than it used to be. It used to be standard operating practice for both Catholics and Protestants--maybe even for the Eastern Church more than they are willing to admit.

What on earth makes you think that this is becoming more common?

Edwin
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:38 pm

Religion: Catholic

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Protestants are not wrong in emphasizing how fear as a first motive precedes love as the supreme motive for obedience to faith in Christ.

1 Ecclesiasticus 25:16
The fear of God is the beginning of his love: and the beginning of faith is to be fast joined unto it.

2 Psalms 110:10
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A good understanding to all that do it: his praise continueth for ever and ever.

3 Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

4 Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is prudence.

5 Ecclesiasticus 1:16
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and was created with the faithful in the womb, it walketh with chosen women, and is known with the just and faithful.
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:45 pm

http://www.sermonnotebook.org/old%20.../Pro%201_7.htm

"What, then, does it mean to fear the Lord? When we truly fear the Lord, we will recognize that He is the Creator and we are the creatures. He is the Master and we are the servants. He is the Father and we are the children. This attitude will manifest itself in our having a respect for God, His word and in our having a desire to do what He tells us to in His Bible. We can relate this kind of fear to that which a child has for his parents. If the right kind of fear is present, the child knows that his parents can hurt him if there is disobedience, but overriding that fear is the knowledge that disobedience hurts the parents and the child loves and respects his parents and does not want to hurt them. To put it simply, the fear of the Lord is a deep seated reverence for God that causes men to want to please Him at all costs.

(Ill. Genuine fear of the Lord is always seen in obedience to the Word of God, Pro. 8:13. People who do not walk in line with God's Word do not fear the Lord, regardless of what they profess with their lips. Therefore, when we fear the Lord, there is an elements of dread at what His wrath can do, but there is also such a respect for Him and for His will that nothing else matters but doing that which pleases the Lord.)"

Rory- it is not a fear of the Lord like people want to portray it. Sure, one can fear Hell so not sin, but it is better to want to please God so we don't sin. I fear the Lord, not because He can smite me, but because I want to be obedient. There is more mercy in the Catholic understanding of fear of the Lord than Protestant's.
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:51 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryMcKenzie56 View Post
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Protestants are not wrong in emphasizing how fear as a first motive precedes love as the supreme motive for obedience to faith in Christ.

1 Ecclesiasticus 25:16
The fear of God is the beginning of his love: and the beginning of faith is to be fast joined unto it.

2 Psalms 110:10
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A good understanding to all that do it: his praise continueth for ever and ever.

3 Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

4 Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is prudence.

5 Ecclesiasticus 1:16
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and was created with the faithful in the womb, it walketh with chosen women, and is known with the just and faithful.
I'm not so sure. I think these verses are using "fear" as meaning reverence or awe, not so much "fear" as in afraid. I think the OP is talking not about fear of God, but fear of Hell, the fire and brimstone style of preaching one sees in some Protestant settings.
I might be wrong on both counts, and if so, I'm sure someone will quickly correct me.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:53 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbkaine View Post
http://www.sermonnotebook.org/old%20.../Pro%201_7.htm

"What, then, does it mean to fear the Lord? When we truly fear the Lord, we will recognize that He is the Creator and we are the creatures. He is the Master and we are the servants. He is the Father and we are the children. This attitude will manifest itself in our having a respect for God, His word and in our having a desire to do what He tells us to in His Bible. We can relate this kind of fear to that which a child has for his parents. If the right kind of fear is present, the child knows that his parents can hurt him if there is disobedience, but overriding that fear is the knowledge that disobedience hurts the parents and the child loves and respects his parents and does not want to hurt them. To put it simply, the fear of the Lord is a deep seated reverence for God that causes men to want to please Him at all costs.

(Ill. Genuine fear of the Lord is always seen in obedience to the Word of God, Pro. 8:13. People who do not walk in line with God's Word do not fear the Lord, regardless of what they profess with their lips. Therefore, when we fear the Lord, there is an elements of dread at what His wrath can do, but there is also such a respect for Him and for His will that nothing else matters but doing that which pleases the Lord.)"

Rory- it is not a fear of the Lord like people want to portray it. Sure, one can fear Hell so not sin, but it is better to want to please God so we don't sin. I fear the Lord, not because He can smite me, but because I want to be obedient. There is more mercy in the Catholic understanding of fear of the Lord than Protestant's.
You beat me to it.

On the last line, I think it depends on the communion you are speaking of.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 14, '10, 6:53 pm
Banned

Quote:

My guess is they say it because that is what God has told us. God should be feared, this is holy fear which is a great help as one begins to progress in the religious life. A filial fear of God and also love of God are the two wings on which a soul ascends to heaven.
Old Jun 14, '10, 9:26 pm

Quote:

You might want to inquire as to which denomination(s) they belong; their view of God's mercy, salvation and hell will be colored by their theology. In my limited experience, I found some of the more conservative Baptists to have a more narrow view of God's mercy; while on the other hand I've found "nondenominational" Charismatics to be a bit more open.

As has been stated by most on this thread, I would have to agree that it is the reverence of God that the Lord seeks; no father wants his child to remain in a slavish fear in respect to a maturing relationship. And yes, Jesus did speak of hell quite often, but in respect to your average person (sinner), he seemed to use acts of compassion and parables of love and mercy to attract them i.e, the sermon on the mount. Hellfire statements seemed to be directed at those who refused to act in a manner of compassion toward the weak.
Old Jun 15, '10, 8:02 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Fearing hell will not bring you to heaven.
Old Jun 15, '10, 4:31 pm
Banned

Religion: Born Again Christian - Ex-Catholic

Quote:

I was raised Catholic; and as a child, I remember being told that anyone who leaves the Catholic Church will go to hell. Is that the kind of fear tactic you are referring to?
Old Jun 15, '10, 4:53 pm

I remember when I was in my teens, going to some southern baptist tent revivals. Yes, they were really in a tent, in the middle of a field. We went as part of our chuch's youth group, with our pastor.

There was so much fire and brimstone in those preachings, I didn't think there was any left for the people burning in hell.

I had one of those preachers come down off the make shift stage, red in the face, screaming to beat the band, shaking the Bible in my face, telling me I had to repent my evil ways. Was I evil because I was a teenager? Was I evil because I was there?

My first instinct was to deck him for invading my personal space, but the good Lord, and our pastor restrained me. (Our pastor actually leaned over and whispered in my ear, "don't do it.")

There was an Altar Call at the end of the preaching, and I didn't go up. They couldn't have pried me out of my seat with dynamite! Needless to say, he wasn't too happy. He just kept glaring at me. My pastor and I talked about it on the ride home, and he told me he understood why I was angry, and didn't do the Altar Call.

Things like this are just intimidation tactics various preachers/churches use. Over the years, I have come to realize that no one is dragged to Jesus, no one is intimidated to find Jesus.

As the Lay Director of RCIA for our parish, I always tell our class, "I have never seen anyone dragged down the main aisle of the Church and forced them to receive the Sacraments. He is there waiting patiently and lovingly, and he will be ready when you are."

Back to the revival. The Baptist pastor that took me to that revival was an exceptional man, and to this day, I have the utmost respect for him. He wasn't able to convert me, but that never affected the relationship he and I shared. God Bless him.
Old Jun 15, '10, 5:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic, former Protestant

fear is a deeply seated and effective motivator

it is not surprising that religion would use it
Old Jun 15, '10, 10:18 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Pagan

I would definitely agree that christian groups in general use fear to get members. To me, that's not true faith. If people are scared into believing, then how can it be real? I'm not a christian and the fear tactics would NEVER convert me. They just make me want to stay away. Why would I want to be part of a religion that scares me? Whenever I see those people standing outside the mall telling me the end is near and if I don't convert I'm going to burn in hell, I run the other way, to be honest. Scare tactics do NOT work for me and I've never known anybody who has been converted by them.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions