Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 31, '05, 1:45 pm

Religion: Catholic (orthodox...faithful to the Magesterium)
Default Re: George Felos is Singling Out and Condeming Father Frank Pavone

Felos is a ghoul. Plain and simple. A sick, twisted ghoul who has made a career out of his psychotic fascination with death.

A creep if there ever was one.

I once was lost but now am found; was blind but now I see. +++
Old Mar 31, '05, 2:09 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

I just heard a radio sound byte that stated Felos saying in his own words;

:The death was for Terri."

What a short-minded, cold cruel person!
I'm appalled! To frustrated to think calmly anymore!

Everyone, WE ARE AT WAR, with the culture of Death! Jesus HAS the Victory for us, we just have to see this whole process work it's way towards Victory!
Old Mar 31, '05, 2:16 pm
Resigned

Bring it on, Mr. Felos.
By publicly naming Frank Pavone, you just told the whole world where they can go for the voice of Truth and Sanity.
Old Mar 31, '05, 2:33 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastell
Has anyone checked to see if Kevorkian is still in prison? Maybe he had plastic surgery and is now calling himself Felos. Could it be possible there are two such death-loving wackos inhabiting our land?
Yes, he is safely tucked away in a secure facility.

Link.
Old Mar 31, '05, 2:58 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sue
Yes, he is safely tucked away in a secure facility.

Link.
Now that it is (apparently) legal to kill people in this country who are not even at death's door, will we have to let Kevorkian go and apologize? Maybe he can get a big lawsuit for restitution for his "unfair incarceration"?

Will you take up your cross and follow Him?
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:01 pm

Default Death with "dignity"? Give me a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Meanwhile, CBS quotes Felos' mainstream line amongs an entire 15 minutes of sick babbling:

"Michael's overriding concern through all of this was to allow Terri to die the way she wanted with dignity".
What a crock!

He is either lying through his teeth, or is somehow unaware of the "Exit Protocol" the hospice for which he is the chairman of the board has prepared for Terri and which was found in her medical file. (This will be split into two posts because of size restrictions when posting. Don't read the ending if you are squeamish.)

Terri’s ‘Exit Protocol’
www.cst-phl.com/050113/sixth.html

On Oct. 27, 2003, Michael Schiavo... appeared on Larry King Live to explain why he was fighting so hard to remove his wife’s feeding tube.

Michael Schiavo insisted that he wanted to help his wife “die with dignity.” He told King: “It’s painless, and probably the most natural way to die. It is a very easy way to die — probably the second best way to die, the first being an aneurysm.”

At the same time he was speaking on national television, Terri’s medical file contained a document prescribing for her a slow and painful death by starvation and dehydration.

Called an “Exit Protocol,” the document contains explicit instructions for how Terri will be treated during the grisly series of events that will occur should the courts decide to withdraw her feeding tube.

The nurse who discovered the Exit Protocol, Cheryl Ford, R.N., a Tampa nurse, was reviewing Terri’s medical file at the request of the Schindler family when she found the document. For the benefit of our readers, Ford agreed to explain this document in detail. [Editor’s note: The protocol, in bold print, is followed by Ford’s comments.]

• Patient Care Notes— The Hospice of Florida Suncoast — 4/19/01 — Clinical Pharmacy — Re: Medication review and symptom management. The patient is a 37-year-old woman in a vegetative state with no apparent signs of distress. Enteral tube-feeding to be discontinued on 4/20/01.

“This is a very critical piece of information from a nurse’s point of view,” Ford said. “We have a patient with no apparent signs of distress, yet enteral tube feeding is going to be discontinued on 4/20/01. This is murder. And it’s premeditated murder, ...

What would make the death more difficult is that Terri is a healthy woman, weighing approximately 138.5 pounds, which means she will endure longer than other patients who are in the midst of a natural-death process.
“I was an oncology (cancer) nurse,” Ford said. “These people are very weak and gaunt. Their bodies are already shutting down, and their tube feedings are withdrawn when their body systems can no longer handle it. But Terri is not a cancer patient — that’s what bothers me. She’s a healthy young woman.”

(Continued in part 2)

Your brother-in-Christ,
Jeff
Catholic Info & Resources
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:05 pm

Default Re: Death with "dignity"? Part 2

A continuation of the prior post. From "Terri's Exit Protocol" as prepared by the hospice headed by George Felos:

• Upon discontinuation of enteral feeding the following signs/symptoms may or may not occur. The following is a brief list of symptoms for which to monitor and recommended interventions.
• Monitor symptoms of pain/discomfort. If noted, medicate with Naproxen rectal suppository 375 mg. Q8 prn [“Q8 prn” means eight times a day as needed].

If someone in a persistent vegetative state cannot feel pain, as Michael Schiavo and his attorney, George Felos, have consistently told the world, why do Terri’s charts tell nurses how to treat her for pain?
According to Ford, that is because Terri can and will feel pain during this process — and a lot of it.

“Think about what hunger pains are like if you haven’t eaten in a while,” Ford said. “You start to get that gnawing feeling, almost a burning in your stomach. Most people don’t extend themselves into the depths of hunger. They grab a cracker or bread if they’re out shopping for a while just to make themselves feel better.”

Terri would not have this option, however. “Within several hours, she’ll start to feel this kind of hunger pain,” Ford said.

Dehydration would only add to the discomfort: “When she starts going into the dehydration stage, her metabolism will start to change. Her electrolytes will get imbalanced. She’s going to get uncomfortable and will start to writhe.

“Advance a couple days without food or water. Now her mouth is parched, her lips, her gums, her tongue will start to crack and bleed. The nasal cavities will start to dry, crack and bleed. The stomach will get dry and shrink, causing vomiting and heaving,” Ford said.

• Pulmonary
(a) Inability to clear secretions — reposition and swab mouth, consider scopolamine patch behind ear every 3 days.

“When you first go into dehydration, your body will automatically compensate by making saliva. But when she gets into the stage where the stomach shrinks and nausea begins, they’re going to stick a patch behind her ear for the nausea. What the patch also does is dehydrate you by taking away this fluid.”

(b) Dyspnea — nebulize low dose 2-5 mg. Morphine sulfate Q4 prn [four times a day as needed].

“Dyspnea is when you have difficulty breathing. What they’re going to do is use a nebulizer the way you might use for asthmatics — only instead of giving a histamine to help her breathe, they’re going to give Terri morphine sulfate, which only suppresses respiration more. In the later phases she’ll start gasping for air.”

In seven to nine days, as most of her body fluids are lost, her blood pressure will go down and her heart rate will rise. The blood will be shunted to the central part of the body from the periphery of the body, so that usually two to three days prior to death, the hands and feet become extremely cold. They become mottled and have a bluish appearance. The eyes will become so dry the patient can’t move them anymore because there will be fluid in them.

• Multifocal myoclonus or terminal agitation [sometimes caused by electrolyte imbalance]. Consider diazepam rectal administration 5-10 mg. May repeat in 4 hours if not resolved then daily — twice daily as needed.

Multifocal myoclonus means seizures taking place in various parts of the body. “Because of the electrolyte imbalance, Terri will begin to have seizures,” Ford said. “She’ll start to twitch. You don’t see this in an oncology patient because they’re already dehydrated. Even the elderly, who are going into the natural process of death, their bodies are doing what God created them to do — slow down.

“Our job as health-care professionals at this point is to understand the death process and to oblige the process God has given these people to help them in comfort measures — palliative care — not to enhance death. But Terri’s not terminal,” Ford said. “What they’re doing here is starving a healthy person to death. This is the only reason why she’ll go into multifocal myoclonus.”

Your brother-in-Christ,
Jeff
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:08 pm

Default Re: Death with "dignity"? (part 3)

A continuation of the prior post. From "Terri's Exit Protocol" as prepared by the hospice headed by George Felos:

• Grand Mal seizure, which is highly unlikely given current conditions and lack of contributing factors (meds) [medication]. Recommend diazepam 15 mg. rectally as indicated in seizure management orders.

“If she happens to make it into a grand mal seizure, they will give her 15 mg. of valium. … The valium won’t make this easier, it will just help to bring her to death faster, because she won’t have the ability to fight her way out of it,” Ford said. “Her body will not be in good shape at this point. You wouldn’t look at her and say she was comfortable. She’s been without food and water for a long time. She’s pretty much withered, her skin is broken down, her metabolism is broken down, her kidneys haven’t received anything. Her body is reacting to the lack of food.”

At this point, death is imminent.

During the Oct. 2003 tube withdrawal, Ford saw Terri before the process began.

“They started off by dressing her in wool sweaters and long pants, then wrapped her in a wool blanket — to ‘sweat her out’ — to make her deyhdrate faster,” Ford said. She was horrified, especially because it was only October and it’s still hot in Florida in October.

“This is not a painless or dignified way to die,” Ford said. “It’s against the law to dehydrate and starve to death a prisoner on death row. Why should we allow it to be done to a disabled woman — or anybody?”
The cruelty Ford has seen Terri endure is “not even believable,” she said. “In this case, Dr. Kevorkian would be more humane than what they intend to do to Terri.”

Your brother-in-Christ,
Jeff
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:16 pm

Religion: In RCIA on my way home

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc
I've been a supporter of Priests For Life before, but just made another donation at https://secure.priestsforlife.org/donation.php. Wish we had more brave priests speaking the truth and defending innocent lives.

THanks. I didn't know what "appeal number" was correct so I just wrote in "Terri" and hopefully they will understand it's in her honor.

Lisa N
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:16 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert connor
Seems to me Felos, as a lawyer, is setting up for some kind of law suit claiming slander.
He wouldn't dare.

Know why? Because it would be a new ball game. The accused would have to prove the allegation was true. And that, given it would be a new ball game, would be a walk in the park. Particularly in front of the press.

He is overconfident. His 'insomnia' and his 'euphoria' and his 'voices' are eroding his caution. He has become a hero in his own mind. He likes the limelight. Now that Terri has gone home, he is casting around for more fame.

We can give him fame, can't we? Why, he may just end up being 'unforgettable.'

Oops. I think I am coming across like 'scorched earth Ani' again. Maybe it's a gift I've been given. Maybe if I put these smileys in before I click the submit button.
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:22 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Fr. Frank Pavone JUST finished appearing on the first segment of Catholic Answers Live.

Here is the link in case you missed his appearance. Let the site add the link to listen to it in a few hours.

http://www.catholic.com/radio/calive.asp

Terri was MUCH aware of her surroundings!
Old Mar 31, '05, 3:32 pm
Book Club Member

I just read the Exit Protocol for Terri Shavio and I don't know whether to throw up or cry. I'm a nurse, so I'm not really that squeamish(unless it has to do with bugs ) but that was HORRIBLE!!!! This is inhumane and evil!
Rescue those unjustly sentenced to death; do not sit back and let them die! Proverbs 24:11

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women." ---Alice Paul
Old Mar 31, '05, 4:16 pm

A friend of mine just told me something that Rush Limbaugh
said today that made a great point. Felos mentioned how Terri
had stuffed animals in the room with her, flowers and soft music
right? If Terri was so unaware of things, why would you bother
to bring these things in the room anyway?
Old Apr 1, '05, 3:35 am
Banned

[quote=legeorge]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mc
Darkness

Light

We know which one wins. Whether they let Fr. Pavone on the TV again or not.
LEt's give it up for Sean Hannity to give a pro-life catholic priest a voice in this whole affair not to mention he gave the Schindler family, friends, doctors, nurses, brother O Donnel etc these guys were simply not heard on CNN or MSNBC.
Old Apr 1, '05, 5:39 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mc
A friend of mine just told me something that Rush Limbaugh
said today that made a great point. Felos mentioned how Terri
had stuffed animals in the room with her, flowers and soft music
right? If Terri was so unaware of things, why would you bother
to bring these things in the room anyway?
Rush can be a pistol, but he has been right all along about Terri's case.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005