Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 19, '10, 2:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default how are deacons suppose to dress?

Are decons required to use the roman collar? I've seen a couple of deacons around my area that wear the roman collar, but I see others dress as any average joe out in the street as well. Or does this depend on the diocese they serve?
Old Jun 19, '10, 2:24 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Default Re: how are deacons suppose to dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera01 View Post
Are decons required to use the roman collar? I've seen a couple of deacons around my area that wear the roman collar, but I see others dress as any average joe out in the street as well. Or does this depend on the diocese they serve?

Depends on the diocese. Usually they are to wear the collar when they are ministering.
Old Jun 19, '10, 2:41 pm

Religion: catholic

My diocese does not allow deacons to wear the roman collar. When they are ministering outside of liturgical celebrations they wear a jacket and tie and a "deacon pin"
Old Jun 19, '10, 3:53 pm

Transitional Deacons, in our diocese, basically dress like priests (outside of mass).

Permanent Deacons, I don't know.

Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraph 92.
Old Jun 19, '10, 5:19 pm

Our permanent deacon dresses like an average Joe when he's not "working." When he ministers outside of Mass, it's a suit and tie with a "deacon" medal on a chain, and he wears an alb and stole at Mass.

Transitional deacons here dress like priests, also.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jun 20, '10, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
Our permanent deacon dresses like an average Joe when he's not "working." When he ministers outside of Mass, it's a suit and tie with a "deacon" medal on a chain, and he wears an alb and stole at Mass.
Are dalmatics a normal liturgical attire for deacons, or is this not something specific to the Catholic Church? The times that I've seen a deacon celebrate Mass with a priest, he only wears and alb and a stole.
Old Jun 20, '10, 6:03 am
Forum Master

Deacons (of any 'type', since there is only one Order of the Diaconate) are entitled, as clerics, to wear the Roman collar.

'Permanent' Deacons are excempt from the requirement to do so, and most choose not to.

Canon 284 gives the authority to regulate clerical attire to the local Bishops conference. Here is what the USCCB said

Quote:
On November 18, 1998, the Latin Rite de iure members of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops approved complementary legislation for canon 284 of the Code of Canon Law for the Latin Rite dioceses of the United States.

The action was granted recognitio by the Congregation for Bishops in accord with article 82 of the Apostolic Constitution Pastor Bonus and issued by decree of the Congregation for Bishops signed by His Eminence Lucas Cardinal Moreira Neves, Prefect, and His Excellency Most Reverend Franciscus Monterisi, Secretary, and dated September 29, 1999.

Complementary Norm: The National Conference of Catholic Bishops, in accord with the prescriptions of canon 284, hereby decrees that without prejudice to the provisions of canon 288, clerics are to dress in conformity with their sacred calling.

In liturgical rites, clerics shall wear the vesture prescribed in the proper liturgical books. Outside liturgical functions, a black suit and Roman collar are the usual attire for priests. The use of the cassock is at the discretion of the cleric.

In the case of religious clerics, the determinations of their proper institutes or societies are to be observed with regard to wearing the religious habit.

As President of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, I hereby decree that the effective date of this decree for all the Latin Rite dioceses in the United States will be December 1, 1999.

Given at the offices of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington, DC, on November 1, 1999.

Most Reverend Joseph A. Fiorenza
Bishop of Galveston-Houston
President, NCCB
Reverend Monsignor Dennis M. Schnurr
General Secretary
Old Jun 20, '10, 6:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera01 View Post
Are dalmatics a normal liturgical attire for deacons...
The dalmatic is the ordinary liturgical attire for deacons. Due to expense, however, they are relatively rare.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Jun 20, '10, 6:27 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

In this diocese the ordinary daytime dress of the deacon is street clothes, but most of them have logo polo shirts either as a parish "uniform" or from various conferences and retreats they have attended, and use them as their "work clothes." Parishes that can afford them have dalmitics for Mass, we have a set in the gold and white for Easter and Christmas, but I don't think in every color, but I could be wrong. For baptisms, weddings and funerals he wears alb and the distinct stole of the deacon, and when he is assisting at regular Sunday Mass, the same. I should note that ordinary daily professional garb for men down here, especially in the summer, is "business casual" the golf shirt with trousers, except in the courtroom or in a bank or someplace very formal. Suits and ties or even button down shirts are rare in other settings. Many parishes have a "uniform" shirt for all staff, as do the public schools and many other employers.
Old Jun 20, '10, 9:01 am

My diocese, apparently like many others, forbids deacons from wearing the collar, even when they minister at wakes, committals, hospitals, etc. The rationale seems to be rooted in the concern that they not come off as "mini priests." On the other hand, people seem surprised when we're told that deacons are clergy but aren't allowed to dress that way in ministry - they're perceived all too often as "lay assistants" because they show up at a wake in jacket and tie, maybe with a "deacon pin.

Do people think that deacons should be allowed to wear the collar?
Old Jun 20, '10, 11:11 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapoisett64 View Post

Clerics should dress as clerics when ministering.
Old Jun 20, '10, 11:38 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
My diocese, apparently like many others, forbids deacons from wearing the collar, even when they minister at wakes, committals, hospitals, etc. The rationale seems to be rooted in the concern that they not come off as "mini priests." On the other hand, people seem surprised when we're told that deacons are clergy but aren't allowed to dress that way in ministry - they're perceived all too often as "lay assistants" because they show up at a wake in jacket and tie, maybe with a "deacon pin.
There are, of course, dioceses where "permanent" deacons are permitted (yea, even expected) to don clerical attire when ministering. (In my experience, so-called "transitional" deacons normally wear it also, although more frequently.) The concept of a "deacon pin" is far too similar to what some religious sisters (and brothers, for that matter) use instead of a habit. Frankly, it just doesn't "cut the mustard" in my book.

Quote:
Well, I do. I recall from some years ago that some (High) Episcopal deacons wore a Roman collar with a black stripe down the centre. Seems to me that idea would be an ideal solution for all deacons, whether "permanent" or otherwise. There's no mistaking that stripe.
Old Jun 20, '10, 11:08 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

... this is from a website specializing in merchandise for "catholic deacons and their families".
Old Jun 22, '10, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
Clerics should dress as clerics when ministering.
Good point...I was not dressing as a cleric when ministering at vigil services-my pastor set me straight-even at the funeral home I wear my vestments.

Dcn Tony
Old Jun 22, '10, 8:49 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
... this is from a website specializing in merchandise for "catholic deacons and their families".
When our deacons are ministering outside of the liturgy (or if they are not serving at a Mass but are assisting with the distribution of communion) they usually wear polo shirts with the deacon "pin" symbol. I think they all have the same shirt.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments