Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 21, '10, 3:41 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default When to Start RCIA?

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on when to contact my local church about RCIA classes. The problem is that I am not yet a legal adult. My parents are not Christian and while they are not hostile to my interest in conversion I wouldn't consider them supportive either. Would it be appropriate for me to reach out to the parish at this stage in my life? I don't want to get ahead of myself, nor do I want to disobey my parents.

Another potential problem lies in the fact that I will be going to college in a little over a year, most likely in a place hours away from my current home. Would it be better for me to wait until then and to talk with the campus ministry about RCIA?

I hope you can understand my dilemma. I am very excited about RCIA but I do not want to rush into the process.
Old Jun 21, '10, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When to Start RCIA?

Aeterna,

I would recommend talking with your parents about you contacting the parish. If God is calling you to the Catholic Church, I'd say the sooner you can get into RCIA, the better. You should be honest with your family and the priest about your situation. Welcome home.
Old Jun 21, '10, 4:20 pm

Oops, I forgot some things. The RCIA classes in my area start in August/September, so, if you're serious, don't make the call in December. Make sure you are attending Mass, as well. That's also very important. Hope these posts help.
Old Jun 21, '10, 4:25 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on when to contact my local church about RCIA classes. The problem is that I am not yet a legal adult. My parents are not Christian and while they are not hostile to my interest in conversion I wouldn't consider them supportive either. Would it be appropriate for me to reach out to the parish at this stage in my life? I don't want to get ahead of myself, nor do I want to disobey my parents.

Another potential problem lies in the fact that I will be going to college in a little over a year, most likely in a place hours away from my current home. Would it be better for me to wait until then and to talk with the campus ministry about RCIA?

I hope you can understand my dilemma. I am very excited about RCIA but I do not want to rush into the process.
Aeterna, talk to your parents and talk to the priest at the parish you are considering. Depending on how RCIA is run at the parish, it is a 9 to 18 month process. Some go as long as 2 years. So, there isn't any rushing going on. Perhaps your parents won't find any objections to starting RCIA, with the understanding that the process takes time, and there is no pressure to be baptized.

In regards to moving, if you aren't baptized by the time you move, the parish you move into may want you to begin RCIA from the start. I've know a few people where this has happened, and so the process for them was delayed out to 3 years or more.
Old Jun 21, '10, 5:01 pm

Most likely too - if your college is in a big enough town/city you will be able to attend RCIA right where you are attending school.

Currently in formation with the Secular Franciscan Order:
Click Here for More Information on Finding an SFO Fraternity Near You
Old Jun 22, '10, 10:30 am
Book Club Member

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I talked with my mother about RCIA and she was more accepting than I thought she would be! I am looking forward to contacting my parish soon.
Old Jun 22, '10, 10:44 am

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I talked with my mother about RCIA and she was more accepting than I thought she would be! I am looking forward to contacting my parish soon.
With God all things are possible!

Old Jun 29, '10, 11:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, and proud of it

Most RCIA classes do indeed start in Aug/Sept. It's timed to give you 7-9 months of education before the Easter vigil. However, it is not a requirement to go thru RCIA to become Catholic. Talk with your local parish priest. We just had an adult baptized and confirmed at our parish a couple of weeks ago, after several months of private teaching with the priest.

On the other hand, my family LOVED our RCIA experience, and coming home to the true church on the Easter vigil was absolutely beautiful and moving.
Old Jun 29, '10, 11:39 pm
Veteran Member

Ours is a full year RCIA. It starts shortly after Easter and goes to the next Easter Vigil. So our group that will be baptized at Easter Vigil 2011 has been meeting for a couple of months now.
Old Jun 30, '10, 12:36 pm
Book Club Member

Thanks for the additional information, DrSharkey and RebeccaJ. For me, I think RCIA is probably the only way to go to become Catholic because I haven't been baptized and because I was never given any formal Christian education. It'll be like the CCD I never had. It would be wonderful if I could get individual instruction from the priest, but my parish is enormous, so I don't think that's a possibility.

Also, I know my parish starts RCIA classes in September, rather than April. My only worry is that the catechist will think that I am too young (although I am above the age that my diocese sets for Confirmation).
Old Jun 30, '10, 3:33 pm
Veteran Member

From what you have said, it sounds like age will not be a problem. In the RCIA class I was in, there was a young woman of 18 who turned 19 during RCIA. But, it is your priest who will decide.
Old Jul 2, '10, 7:05 pm

First off, I would like to say that I respect you a whole lot. It is often hard to do things that our parents are not supportive of. Second, I would definitely talk to your parent about contacting your local parish. Even if RCIA classes have already started there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to jump in and sit in, then start officially the next go around.
The best thing to do is to sit down with the priest of your local parish and explain to him what your situation is. Priests are very helpful for the most part. He should be able to direct you in the right direction.

Good luck. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old Jul 13, '10, 3:08 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Feb 2010)

Quote:
Sometimes the child leads the parents! Your mother may be interested or willing to accompany you to Mass and discuss what you learn in RCIA. Maybe dad too.
Old Jul 14, '10, 1:46 pm
Book Club Member

Thank you, chadless and lutherlic. I've made plans to call the RCIA director as soon as the class schedule is posted in August. Since I wrote the original post I have spoken with my parents quite a bit. They're both okay with my decision, which is so relieving. I've been attending Mass lately and I love it so much - my mother even attended one with me! I think I might be making some progress on her. Either way, I'm so thankful that it is all working out so far, and I appreciate every one of your kind words of advice.
Old Jul 14, '10, 2:28 pm

Aeterna - just make sure you don't rush your decision for a sponsor/Godparent (sorry I did not go back and look to see if you were baptized) - at your age and maturity you probably want to look for someone that will be in your life for some length of time even if it is by email and phone that you can talk to and receive guiance from. It is more than about a ceremony or ritual it is about a lifestyle and committment. God bless you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization