Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '10, 4:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Are there any saints who went straight to Heaven and avoided purgatory?

Are there any accounts via private revelation, church teaching, etc. that any saints went straight to heaven when they died and avoided purgatory? (besides Mary, Eli, Enoch, J.T.B)

I think St. Therese might have. She taught that one can avoid purgatory if we truly believe it. She even had an "I told you so" moment when a nun didn't believe her. The nun died and came to visit the saint from purgatory and realizing that the saint was right. Since she was a mystic/doctor of the church who never committed a mortal sin. Maybe she was on to something.

Anything out there?
Old Jun 23, '10, 5:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Are there any saints who went straight to Heaven and avoided purgatory?

It seems that all the of the Saints avoided Purgatory

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Jun 23, '10, 7:01 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (proud of it!)
Default Re: Are there any saints who went straight to Heaven and avoided purgatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
It seems that all the of the Saints avoided Purgatory
Not neccesarily. We know all saints are in heaven, but that doesn't mean they all avoided Purgatory

http://www.fightfoca.com/

+JMJ+

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Old Jun 23, '10, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Sinner View Post
Are there any accounts via private revelation, church teaching, etc. that any saints went straight to heaven when they died and avoided purgatory? (besides Mary, Eli, Enoch, J.T.B)

I think St. Therese might have. She taught that one can avoid purgatory if we truly believe it. She even had an "I told you so" moment when a nun didn't believe her. The nun died and came to visit the saint from purgatory and realizing that the saint was right. Since she was a mystic/doctor of the church who never committed a mortal sin. Maybe she was on to something.

Anything out there?
The Blessed Mother certainly. The Holy Innocents, probably, since they had no actual sin.

I think martyrs avoid purgatory, but I'm not sure of that. Most Saints probably have some penance they need to perform in purgatory.

God Bless
Old Jun 23, '10, 8:42 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolduude View Post
Not neccesarily. We know all saints are in heaven, but that doesn't mean they all avoided Purgatory
We will only know for sure when someone from Purgatory, Colorado, is canonized

ICXC NIKA
Old Jun 23, '10, 10:52 pm

As I recall, a number of saints saw people go to heaven immediatelly when they died. I won't try to find such accounts since quite rightly personal visions cannot be discussed here according to forum rules..
The good thief, who died beside Christ on the cross, went right to heaven. Christ said to him that he would join him in heaven that very day. I have heard too the martyrs do not have to suffer in purgatory.
I expect almost everyone will go to purgatory, having sins still on our souls when we die, if only smaller ones. However, if even the good thief passed purgatory by, I would think there are many others too that we do not know about.
Old Jun 23, '10, 11:07 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (proud of it!)

If I recall correctly, the good thief did not neccesarily go to heaven as soon as he died. He very well may have spent time in Purgatory, but reached heaven later that day. After all, Jesus did say 'this day you will be with me in Paradise'. This allows for a small time in Purgatory and heaven in the same day

http://www.fightfoca.com/

+JMJ+

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Old Jun 24, '10, 1:29 am
Prayer Warrior

If we believe that even the saints had to go to Purgatory, even if only for a short time, how do we maintain the virtue of hope? Simply by remembering that Heaven is the final destination?

Personally, I find the idea of saints going to Purgatory a little depressing...but perhaps only because my faith is too small..

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality