Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '10, 11:13 am
Banned

Default Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest you be Judged.

What do you make of that verse? I believe people often use that to justify there sins or maybe not justify, but to stop people from talking about their sins.

Jesus tells us to Judge.

John 7:24 "Do not Judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Also,
1 Thess. 5:21

1 Corinthians 2:15-16

Also, I believe there is a verse that says we should judge other christians but not the lost. If anyone knows or can find that verse please do.
Old Jun 25, '10, 11:56 am

Religion: Catholic, Catholic, Catholic
Default Re: Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest you be Judged.

Quote:
Luke 6:37
37 Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you shall be forgiven.
This is relevant here as well.

Non loquendo sed moriendo
Old Jun 25, '10, 12:07 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs80918 View Post
What do you make of that verse? I believe people often use that to justify there sins or maybe not justify, but to stop people from talking about their sins.

Jesus tells us to Judge.

John 7:24 "Do not Judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Also,

Also, I believe there is a verse that says we should judge other christians but not the lost. If anyone knows or can find that verse please do.

i agree, especially on TV shows and movies when one wants to justify ther sins, most especially homosexuality, this verse is thrown out

not judging doesn't mean you're blind to the facts. sins are sins, and we should call people out if we see them sinning and help bring them away from their sin. judging is if we look at other people and think we're better because they're sinful, or that we don't want to have anything to do with them because they're sinners. thats judging. we're sinners, they're sinners, we should point out each others sins and help each other overcome it
Old Jun 25, '10, 12:08 pm

Religion: Learning Catholic

Quote:

Jesus tells us to Judge.

Also,

People misinterpret all the time. It means that we can decide/judge what is good/bad behavior according to God's will, but we cannot condemn/send to hell someone of our own authority. We are supposed to tell people when they are doing wrong because that is God's law, not our own.
Luke 17:3 So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.
Old Jun 25, '10, 12:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

We should judge what is right and wrong. We should judge actions as Luke 17:3 says, but we should not judge the heart of the person who has sinned. If you know someone is sinning you should tell them what they are doing is wrong, but you should not assume that that person will go to hell for that sin. Now if they tell you they know what they are doing is wrong and they are going to continue because they want to do whatever action/sin... I think it is safe to tell that person what the Bible says about that type of thing. The Bible says that the price for that sin is hell.
Old Jun 25, '10, 12:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMuz View Post
We should judge what is right and wrong. We should judge actions as Luke 17:3 says, but we should not judge the heart of the person who has sinned. If you know someone is sinning you should tell them what they are doing is wrong, but you should not assume that that person will go to hell for that sin. Now if they tell you they know what they are doing is wrong and they are going to continue because they want to do whatever action/sin... I think it is safe to tell that person what the Bible says about that type of thing. The Bible says that the price for that sin is hell.
I agree.
Old Jun 25, '10, 1:49 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Jesus tells us to Judge.

Also,

Here's a good article on it:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2007/0702btb.asp

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics