Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 28, '10, 6:34 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)
Question Biblical literalism, Ken Ham, and Answers in Genesis

Three Part Question:

I. Should I send my Catholic teenagers to this seminar?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreach/
Quote:
As Martin Luther called his generation to make Scripture alone the authority, we at Answers in Genesis rally ours to a new reformation, to a place of laying aside doubt, defending the faith, and building our thinking on the Word of God.
I'm concerned about their spiritual growth, being in high school and entering college this fall, and the young earth creationism that is taught here. While young earth creationism and the literal interpretation of Genesis worked for me, with my non-scientific brain, I have witnessed friends turn away from following Christ when they grow up, and learn that this isn't supported by evidence.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle574768.ece

II. If I send them, how can I instruct them at home?

III. Can Catholics believe in a Young Earth, and a literalist interpretation of Genesis and the creation account? Young Earth = 6,000 yrs. old.
Old Jun 28, '10, 7:03 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Biblical literalism, Ken Ham, and Answers in Genesis

I. Answers in Genesis is an explicitly anti-catholic organization (you have to dig a little to find the statements that condemn the Church, but they are there. So no, I wouldn't send my teens to their seminar.

II. not applicable if you don't send them? (Is that what you meant?)

III. Catholics are permitted to believe in a Young Earth if they choose, the Church does not define any particular theory of HOW God created the universe, only THAT He did so.
"Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Heb. 12:14

Crossed the Tiber 1980 (no, I can't swim)
Old Jun 28, '10, 7:25 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHInsider View Post
I. Answers in Genesis is an explicitly anti-catholic organization (you have to dig a little to find the statements that condemn the Church, but they are there. So no, I wouldn't send my teens to their seminar..
Thanks NHInsider,

I researched this guy and this organization last year for a protestant friend who was a fan of this website and Ken Ham but he was struggling deeply with the inerrancy of scripture, where scripture seems to "contradict" itself, and with lining up of scripture with science, (the friend is an engineer). I fear that this strong fundamentalist approach is okay for a while, but those who are curious about the world and who are wired for science can be led to doubt scripture and God, when the fundamentalist approach doesn't work for them.

I remember finding anti-Catholicism on the website last summer, but can't find it this morning. If you have found some, could you provide the link.... ?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreach/

Thanks again!

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, '10, 8:51 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

The site is pretty difficult to search in. A quick check of their Statement of Faith, however, yields these tidbits:

Quote:
The 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout.
Any group that insists on a 66-book canon is rejecting the Catholic Church's authority.

Quote:
Its assertions are factually true in all the original autographs. It is the supreme authority in everything it teaches. Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science.
This contradicts the Church's teaching although it is not directed at the Church.

Quote:
The final guide to the interpretation of Scripture is Scripture itself.
This directly contradicts the Church's role (and also seems to ignore the warning of 2 Peter 3:16, but that's common to all Sola Scriptura types)

Quote:
Salvation is a gift received by faith alone
As we know, "faith alone" is a quote from Martin Luther, not a quote from Scripture

Quote:
expressed in the individual’s repentance, recognition of the death of Christ as full payment for sin, and acceptance of the risen Christ as Savior, Lord, and God.
An all-interior salvation experience with no need for Church or sacrament is, again, not expressly anti-catholic but incompatible with the Catholic faith.

Quote:
All things necessary for our salvation are expressly set down in Scripture.
A not-terribly-subtle rejection of the need for an authoritative Church.

Quote:
It is the duty of Christians to attend a local Bible believing church, as portrayed in the New Testament.
Another common "anything but Catholic" statement (never mind that ever Catholic parish is a local, Bible-believing church).

It requires more serious digging to find other statements:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...eaders-respond
Quote:
Since its founding in 1993, Answers in Genesis has promoted the supreme authority of God’s Word and salvation based on faith alone. While our views contradict the Council of Trent, the ministry strives not to be negative or “anti–Catholic,” but positive, “pro-evangelical Christian,” and “pro-Creator,” if you’ll allow us those terms.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home.../2006/0127.asp
Quote:
we have to say that we reject the authority of the Magisterium. We accept the truth of Scripture (the 66 books) because it is God’s Word, because it is, itself, our final authority.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...-note-11142009
Quote:
It seems the effects of the Galileo affair have had a permanent impact on the Roman Catholic Church’s attitude toward science.* Now, they are so unwilling to give the appearance of interfering in otherwise secular science that they reject even fundamentally Christian views.
*Readers may wonder why our Christian ministry would bring up what some critics say is an embarrassment to Christianity: the bad treatment of Galileo by the religious leaders of his day. The often-heard claim is that Christianity was anti-science during the time of Galileo because the Catholic Church accepted an earth-centered solar system and persecuted Galileo for his contrarian belief in a sun-centered one. However, the Church’s belief was based on the acceptance of ancient thinkers like Aristotle and Ptolemy, not what the Bible actually teaches. Much pagan thinking had seeped into Catholic teaching, and the Church's acceptance of the ancients’ beliefs of the universe was the cause of the Galileo affair, not the Bible’s teaching.
There are also several sermons by the nineteenth-century preacher Charles Spurgeon, an ardent evangelical who was quite convinced that the Catholic Church was a apostatized cult - of course it's necessary to recall that there were Catholic preachers at the same period demonizing Protestants, and even quotes from them being posted on CAF by some of our own more traditionalist members . . .

Quote:
you would still believe that some sufferings, repentings, or believings of your own might possibly merit salvation. The Roman Catholic Church indeed, often tells this so very plainly, that we cannot think it less than profanity.
Quote:
Look again at Roman Catholic missions. How was it that Romanists did what we have never done, and what I fear we never shall do until we have changed our men? How was it that Francis Xavier carried his faith into India, preached in Burma, obtained great influence in China, and even entered into the recesses of Japan, until everywhere you might see a Catholic convent or nunnery, and a cross lifted up, with devotees bowing before it? It was because Xavier’s spirit was full of fire. He seemed to be a flash of lightning flaming from one end of heaven to the other. Now notice, just as it has been with false religions, so must it be with the true.
Anyway, as I have suggested in past threads, if you are convinced of the importance of a literal 7-day, 6000 year-ago creation, at least stick to Catholic (real catholic, not sedevacantist) YE resources.
"Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Heb. 12:14

Crossed the Tiber 1980 (no, I can't swim)
Old Jun 28, '10, 9:41 am

Religion: Baptist

(I’m not a Catholic.)

I believe that nothing to do with creationism is of God. If anything, it’s a plot by the Great Deceiver.

Look at the evidence: it keeps people stuck on the first page of the Bible, miles away from the good stuff towards the back. It sets Christians against one another - all debates about it in online forms seem to end in rant. We steer well clear of it in my church for the harm that it has done to friendships.

Crucially it makes Christianity irrelevant – imagine some lost soul coming to you for help, and instead of telling them about Christ you explain creation. Doesn’t put food in their belly, doesn’t put a roof over their head, doesn’t offer them salvation. And count the number of times creation is taught by Jesus. He knew it was irrelevant to the Good News, just as the UK bishops do.

So I’d say give your teenagers a good grounding in the Gospels, and make them aware that creationism vs evolution is a dead-end behind a mine field. Just my ten cents. Thanks, I’m better now.
Faith, hope, love - Are the sum of perfection on earth; love alone is the sum of perfection in heaven. Wesley's Notes on 1 Cor 13:13
Old Jun 28, '10, 1:24 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHInsider View Post
I. Answers in Genesis is an explicitly anti-catholic organization (you have to dig a little to find the statements that condemn the Church, but they are there. So no, I wouldn't send my teens to their seminar.

II. not applicable if you don't send them? (Is that what you meant?)

III. Catholics are permitted to believe in a Young Earth if they choose, the Church does not define any particular theory of HOW God created the universe, only THAT He did so.
I agree.

In point of fact, Ham has made a career of attacking other Christian believers. He has gone so far as to accuse those who differ from his views on creation as being in service of the Antichrist.

I would never, ever, expose young people to him, his group, nor to any AIG materials. I find them very much like a cult....Ham himself says that no one who believes anything other than in a literal 6-day creation (of 24 hour days!), that no one who believes anything else can go to Heaven.

My suggestion would be to check out what is available from some of the fine Catholic homeschooling people. Emmanuel Books, Mother of Divine Grace's suppliers have excellent books....including one by the present pope. (Which would earn him Mr Ham's condemnation).
Please avoid AIG; indeed, I believe that all Christian people, Catholic, Protestant, & Eastern Orthodox, should all let him (as my grandmother would have said) "stew in his own juice".

Zooey, who freely admits that she believes that the earth is about 50,000 years old, hence a heretic in Ken Ham's opinion. (And isn't worried about his opinion).

And now our own dear Bro, too, has crossed over the river, where he rests under the shade of the trees...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture