Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 28, '10, 7:02 pm

Default How to explain the dangers on Twilight to kids

I am dating a woman who has two kids from a previous marriage age 6 and 9. She let them see the first two twilight movies and enjoyed them herself. Now she realizes the agenda of the movies and the things that go against our faith, etc. They want to see the next movie. How do we explain that the movies are inappropriate now that they have seen the first two? Are there any resources out there? Thanks
Old Jun 28, '10, 8:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to explain the dangers on Twilight to kids

Mom says, "Eclipse is rated PG13 and both of you, at 6 & 9 are too young to see this movie. I know I let you see the other movies..I have no IDEA what I was thinking because they were also completely inappropriate. Neither one of you need to see such graphic scenes of violence.. not to mention the whole love story triangle was not written for little kids, which BOTH of you are. Instead of seeing this movie, we'll see something more geared for kids your age.. or we could do something else fun like bowling or the park."

End of discussion.
Old Jun 28, '10, 9:43 pm

It's PG-13, has graphic violence, and the next film will have sexual relations in it (can be PG-13 or R depending on how they choose to make it; in the book it's implied but you never know). It's for teenagers, not for kids.

The "love triangle" is not for kids but deals with a situation where a girl likes two boys at the same time but knows she has to choose just one. It's not promoting bigamy. Eventually Bella will marry one of them and the other guy will find someone else.

I don't see anything wrong with teens and adults seeing the film, but it's PG-13 and not for elementary school kids and younger.
Old Jun 28, '10, 10:09 pm
Banned

Are we living on different planets? What on earth are you talking about?

Would you please name the films in question?
Old Jun 28, '10, 10:10 pm

There's plenty of Catholic/Christian move review sites that break things down for you.

Here's just one example.

http://www.americancatholic.org/movies/default.aspx

The bottom line is to only let your kids see movies that are age appropriate, but more important, content appropriate...that speak the message you want your kids to hear.

When the time is right, watch the movie with them in the comfort of your home and using the pause button to have a few teaching opportunities along the way.

Good luck and God Bless,
Crash001
Old Jun 28, '10, 10:15 pm

I haven't seen it but I'm pretty sure this is accurate:

Old Jun 29, '10, 2:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeliner View Post
Are we living on different planets? What on earth are you talking about?

Would you please name the films in question?
The OP said, "the first two twilight movies." The 3rd is coming out and he wants to know what the best way to go about explaining to a 6 and 9 year old why they can't watch it.

My answer: "Because I said so." ( I know, I know... not politically correct)
Old Jun 29, '10, 4:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietjen View Post
The OP said, "the first two twilight movies."
I was hoping for actual titles.

I was just curious. I don't go to a lot of movies, but I see them advertised on TV and wondered what the films were about, who the players are, and in what way, if any, the films were objectionable.

Of course parents should monitor their children's choice of films.
Old Jun 29, '10, 4:16 am

Religion: none

She should probably see the movie first herself, let the children see it (the cats already out of the bag) then have a discussion about what she finds wrong with it and LISTEN to what her children say.

Forbidden fruit is always the sweetest, better that they see it with their mom because they WILL see it, at least the nine year old will, if not in her presence then at the home of a friend.

Those movies are so gruesome that I can't bear the idea of sitting thru one at my advanced age....I don't understand why she let such young children go to them in the first place, but since she did, it would be illogical to not let them see the third one.
Old Jun 29, '10, 4:23 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietjen View Post
The OP said, "the first two twilight movies." The 3rd is coming out and he wants to know what the best way to go about explaining to a 6 and 9 year old why they can't watch it.

My answer: "Because I said so." ( I know, I know... not politically correct)
This isn't a good way to respond to children who are old enough to understand.

The Bible says that parents (fathers) shouldn't provoke their children. Just throwing authority around with no logical reason is very provoking. It creates an antagonistic "parent vs. child" attitude, and it cuts off communication, which is vital for good parent/child relationships.

I agree with those who have said that the best explanation is that "PG13 means that the movie is not appropriate for their age and that when they are 13, they can watch the movies." This is logical, and it's not just an opinion, it's a fact. The ratings organizations, not parents, have determined that PG13 movies are appropriate for ages 13 and above. So if the kids have a gripe with this, they can get mad at the ratings organizations, not their parents!

I would also say that this means you must be super diligent in the future and consistent--there are other great children's movies that are surprisingly rated PG13 for reasons other than sex, violence, and bad language (e.g., intense suspense). Do not slip up and allow your children to watch THESE movies, because they will call you out on your hypocrisy!

One suggestion--get hold of the old Dark Shadows episodes (available on DVD or video). Borrow them from a fan unless you are willing to spend a lot of money.

When I was a young child, this show swept the country and children of all ages were watching Barnabas the vampire and Quentin the werewolf. (I personally was Team Barnabas, and my mother was Team Quentin!) This show was very appealing to children, and although religious teachers at the time predicted that we would all fall into sin and be doomed to hell from watching the show, most of us turned out pretty good. The show was basically "good vs. evil", with no violence (the violence happened off-camera)--this "fairy tale" or "morality story" was good for children because it taught us to cheer for good and boo for evil. (Barnabas and Quentin were basically good even though they bore curses--for an analysis of their characters, read Romans 7--seriously).

There is still a very large and enthusiastic fan-base for this show, and tell your kids this--one of the biggest Dark Shadows fans is Johnny Depp--he used to run home from school to watch Dark Shadows! He has announced that he and Tim Burton will join forces to create a new Dark Shadows movie with himself playing the role of his childhood hero, Barnabas Collins! I can't wait! I hope he gets going on this soon. He's a busy guy. I think he's waiting for the Twilight thing to reach its height and THEN he'll come out with the movie (right about the time your 6 and 9 year olds are 13 and 16!)

So if your children start watching the old show now, they will be cool and know all about the Collins family, Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique, Josette, Elizabeth, Julia, and all the rest of the great characters and plots on DS when Depp comes out with his DS movie!

You can find all the info about Dark Shadows by Googling for hours. There are lots of websites and fan sites, and Jonathan Frid, the actor who played Barnabas in the old series, has a delightful webpage with many of his essays about Shakespeare, English history, etc. Don't let the fangs scare you away--little kids have always loved monsters. Think of how many fairy tales for children involve "monsters." It's just part of being a child. Even Pa in the Little House books played a game called "Mad Dog" with Laura and Mary when they were tiny little girls. It's OK.
Old Jun 29, '10, 6:55 am

I agree- play the PG13 card.

I actually love Twilight- the books and the movies. But I am an adult and also work hard to have a well-formed conscience.

There is no way my 6 year old would be seeing Twilight. It's way too morally ambiguous.

My 6 year old watches Transformers (the old 80s cartoon from my childhood) and kids' movies. When he understands and has a better formed conscience (like, when he is a teenager) maybe he can watch movies that are aimed a teenage audience, like Twilight or Harry Potter.

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old Jun 29, '10, 7:50 am

Not a fan of silly vampire stories or teen love drama, so I haven't read or seen the Twilight saga. But from what I gather there's no "agenda" in it anymore than an agenda in Dracula or werewolf stories and the like. So if you're worried about "Satanic elements" or get twisted up like some do about Harry Potter (for no reason) then please take a moment to actually read the novels or at least summaries as I have. There's no hidden pagan message here.

However, Twilight is a lot like The Vampire Diaries, which I have seen since I find it to be hilarious. The themes/relationships in that series, however, are definitely more for older teens and certainly not for little kids. I'd probably stick to that line; tell the kids that the new movies are for older kids and they can see them when they're older like the characters. Then take them to Toy Story 3.
Old Jun 29, '10, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
This isn't a good way to respond to children who are old enough to understand.

The Bible says that parents (fathers) shouldn't provoke their children. Just throwing authority around with no logical reason is very provoking. It creates an antagonistic "parent vs. child" attitude, and it cuts off communication, which is vital for good parent/child relationships.
Cat, I respect that you and I have differing opinions on child rearing; however, since I have reared 3 young men of my own without a breakdown in communication or a weakened parent/child relationship, I will have to disagree. My answer to the OP on this particular subject was more tongue-N-cheek than solid parenting technique and certainly I understood that I was crossing the line of political correctness by making the statement. However, a parent isn't obligated to explain his/herself to a child over every decision made within the home. And should a parent use, "because I said so" as an answer to a child's "why?" it certainly will not destroy the relationship. I'm "old school." I always have and always will be. As a result, my children have grown into young men who will benefit society. I didn't baby them nor cuddle them when they were young. As they grew older I was open to explaining myself more and more. But to explain yourself to younger children every time you, as a parent, make a decision is ridiculous. Did God explain Himself to Moses when he gave him the 10 Commandments? If He didn't, was He being antagonistic or provoking? Nah, God isn't worried about being politically correct either. And besides, look at our society today and tell me that these "politically correct" liberal based social attitudes are working. LOL - We old timers may not be all touchy feely but our children are productive, responsible, and respected members of society because of our "provoking/antagonistic" style of parenting.
Old Jun 30, '10, 6:52 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Jellybean...yum yum

The OP has cross posted this across the internet if he's not a troll he's defiantly looking for some reaction.

Although with Billy I also smell troll.

OP is NOT the parent. Therefore he has NO say in how the children are raised. Once he's married then he and the mother can talk. If the mother is on board all that needs to be said is that the movies are getting too mature for them and they can watch them when they are 13. Likely, however, a well meaning friend will let them watch as soon as they are on DVD. The real idea is to approach the subject with parental authority wich the OP dosn't have.

Also if the OP is "live in" the mother will just make herself look foolish discussing morality with her children.

Lastly, the kids are 6 and 9...really? the first twilight movie came out over a year ago. The mom let a 4 or 5 year old watch the movie???? Are you kidding me? If so, there's alot more that needs to be done than just twilight.
Old Jun 30, '10, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesunshine View Post
Lastly, the kids are 6 and 9...really? the first twilight movie came out over a year ago. The mom let a 4 or 5 year old watch the movie???? Are you kidding me? If so, there's alot more that needs to be done than just twilight.
Good point.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life