Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 29, '10, 7:24 pm

Religion: i'll let you guess
Default Muslim understanding of man being "made in God's image"?

I was wondering what the Muslim understanding of God's creation of the world, and if it is believed that Man is "made in God's image". Considering it is said that Allah is the same as the Judeo/Christian God, I am wondering if the book of Genesis is accepted on some level, or something similar to it.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, '10, 9:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: katolik ( Catholic)
Send a message via Skype™ to Aydan
Default Re: Muslim understanding of man being "made in God's image"?

No Islamic doctrine states that man was not made in the image of God and they deny Genesis because they see the Bible as being corrupt and that's why the Koran was sent so that errors in the Bible could be corrected. Here are the versus from the Koran:

Not made in the image of God (42:11). Man is made out of the dust of the earth (23:12) and Allah breathed life into man (32:9; 15:29)

Muslims Christians and Jews do believe there is only one God and he is the creator however each religion differs on how to view and worship God.

I hope this answers your question.
Old Jun 29, '10, 9:57 pm

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anns82 View Post
I was wondering what the Muslim understanding of God's creation of the world, and if it is believed that Man is "made in God's image". Considering it is said that Allah is the same as the Judeo/Christian God, I am wondering if the book of Genesis is accepted on some level, or something similar to it.

Thanks.
I have breathed into man of My spirit. -- Quran 15:29
Old Jun 29, '10, 11:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

This is a reference to the Holy Spirit the biblical equivalent is Jesus breathing on the disciples and giving them the Holy Spirit. It has absolutely nothing to do with the image of man. The Koran clearly states that man was not made in God's image because man has flaws and God does not.Both Christians and Muslims believe in the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
Old Jun 30, '10, 3:34 am

Religion: THE MOST HIGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
The Koran clearly states that man was not made in God's image because man has flaws and God does not.

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jun 30, '10, 7:10 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Thanks.
See these posts by a Muslim in response to dzheremi's question about man being made in God's image:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Amy View Post
First of all, everyone has the same rights. Let's start with this statement. Certain, God-given rights, simply because they are a human being (although Muslims do NOT say that mankind was created in the "image of God.") So every human being has certain rights. The rights to their life, to their property, to their dignity for example.
So perhaps the best way to explain this (and please, forgive me for the shortcomings in my explanation) is to say first that every human being has rights on the Muslim, but because of a relationship they might have with a person, it's possible that they have even MORE rights.

continued below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Amy View Post
continued from above

I wouldn't say it's uncharitable to say I'm focused on legalism or that such focus distinguishes Islam...
You might notice the different meanings of words she uses, such as "love" being an emotion you can't control, as opposed to the Christian concept of a conscious decision. In another response, she said that Muslims were told never to say that man is made in God's image.

Last edited by sedonaman; Jun 30, '10 at 7:21 am.
Old Jun 30, '10, 7:13 am

Thank you all for your responses - part of why I ask is because with understanding Man as being made in God's image, and God being "love" itself (especially revealed in Christianity through identifying God in the personal relationship of "Father"), it indicates we, being made in God's image, are made to love as well.

From what I understand, the emphasis for Muslims is on following God as a ruler. This, along with the idea that God can change, would have an interesting effect on a person's understanding of mankind if man were made in God's image.

Another question that comes up is "in the Muslim faith, why did God create man?"
Old Jun 30, '10, 7:17 am

Quote:

Another question that comes up is "in the Muslim faith, why did God create man?"
I have asked this question before and never got an answer.
Old Jun 30, '10, 9:26 am
Prayer Warrior

I need to research this a little more but off the top my head based on my knowledge of Islam God uses this life as some kind of test to see if you deserve to go to heaven or not. Let me see if I can find a better answer for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaman View Post
Old Jun 30, '10, 11:20 am
Prayer Warrior

Okay according to Islam God created man for the sole purpose of worshiping him. The purpose of life here on earth is a test to see if you truly submit to God. If you do you go to heaven if you don't you go to hell. As far as love goes it is totally different from what we believe as Catholics. Islam teaches that God can forgive anyone he chooses and in that sense he is a loving and merciful God but at the same time he is a vengeful God. according to Islam every person has two angels one of them records good deeds and the other one records bad deeds. If at the end of your life you have more bad deeds you are going to hell because everyone is held accountable for their own deeds. You can read more about this on Google books look for the complete idiot's guide to Islam.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3GK...ed+man&f=false

Quote:
I need to research this a little more but off the top my head based on my knowledge of Islam God uses this life as some kind of test to see if you deserve to go to heaven or not. Let me see if I can find a better answer for this.
Old Jun 30, '10, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Okay according to Islam God created man for the sole purpose of worshiping him. The purpose of life here on earth is a test to see if you truly submit to God. If you do you go to heaven if you don't you go to hell. As far as love goes it is totally different from what we believe as Catholics. Islam teaches that God can forgive anyone he chooses and in that sense he is a loving and merciful God but at the same time he is a vengeful God.
This God defined by His power/our worship of Him - reminds me of the Nietschian philosophy that people are driven by their "will to power." It seems as though if the Muslim God would have made man in his image, Nietsche's view of man would actually be accurate.

Where I find that Nietzsche is completely wrong is that people often make choices out of love for another. Look at the traditional relationship between a husband and wife - Nietzsche would say the man is oppressing the woman - yet, if their relationship is based on what Jesus said that God intended "in the beginning," they serve each other because they love each other.

I find it interesting that in the Jewish and Christian faith, true love within a marriage will lead to a greater understanding of God. This would not be the case within the Muslim faith if God is completely detached from love. A marriage with true love can actually work against God in that case because the man would want to serve his wife, and with that, God might become jealous.
Old Jun 30, '10, 1:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Yeah Islam even teaches that if you believe in the Trinity or "partners" as they call it that is the one sin God will not forgive in other words you're going to hell so in Islam God is much more vengeful and therefore he should be feared. Islam teaches Muslims to always fear the wrath of God. Doesn't sound very loving does it?
Quote:
This God defined by His power/our worship of Him - reminds me of the Nietschian philosophy that people are driven by their "will to power." It seems as though if the Muslim God would have made man in his image, Nietsche's view of man would actually be accurate.

Where I find that Nietzsche is completely wrong is that people often make choices out of love for another. Look at the traditional relationship between a husband and wife - Nietzsche would say the man is oppressing the woman - yet, if their relationship is based on what Jesus said that God intended "in the beginning," they serve each other because they love each other.

I find it interesting that in the Jewish and Christian faith, true love within a marriage will lead to a greater understanding of God. This would not be the case within the Muslim faith if God is completely detached from love. A marriage with true love can actually work against God in that case because the man would want to serve his wife, and with that, God might become jealous.
Old Jul 3, '10, 3:04 am

Religion: THE MOST HIGH.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaman View Post
Because He created us only to worship/serve Him according to (Quran 51.56):
YUSUFALI: I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me.
PICKTHAL: I created the jinn and humankind only that they might worship Me.
SHAKIR: And I have not created the jinn and the men except that they should serve Me.

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jul 3, '10, 5:55 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
Its true that God breathed into man His Spirit, but what about the image? Holy Bible says that man was made in God's Image. The OP is regarding that. So what does he Quran say?
Old Jul 3, '10, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_777 View Post
Because He created us only to worship/serve Him according to (Quran 51.56):
YUSUFALI: I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me.
PICKTHAL: I created the jinn and humankind only that they might worship Me.
SHAKIR: And I have not created the jinn and the men except that they should serve Me.
This says why Allah supposedly created man; it does not say how, i.e., in his own image or some other manner.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions