Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 8, '10, 9:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Return a dress that I did not purchase?

Here is my question. I bought a dress from an ebay vendor. The dress is from a designer I like and I know which store that sells this designer's clothes; however this particular style was not available at my local store, so I bought it from ebay.

Anyway, the dress from ebay arrived and it's too large, but the ebay vendor does not accept returns. It has a tag on it and my local store is now selling this style. In fact, I've already purchased this same dress in the correct size.

Can I return the new ebay item to the local store for a refund? I know it came from this same store (a chain store across the country)?

I know the dress is new because of the tag and I know the name of the store that sells it. I just didn't buy it from this store. The ebay vendor bought it and then doubled the price.

So, is this a sin if I take it to the store for a partial refund?
Old Jul 8, '10, 10:04 pm

Default Re: Return a dress that I did not purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoo View Post
Here is my question. I bought a dress from an ebay vendor. The dress is from a designer I like and I know which store that sells this designer's clothes; however this particular style was not available at my local store, so I bought it from ebay.

Anyway, the dress from ebay arrived and it's too large, but the ebay vendor does not accept returns. It has a tag on it and my local store is now selling this style. In fact, I've already purchased this same dress in the correct size.

Can I return the new ebay item to the local store for a refund? I know it came from this same store (a chain store across the country)?

I know the dress is new because of the tag and I know the name of the store that sells it. I just didn't buy it from this store. The ebay vendor bought it and then doubled the price.

No.
Old Jul 8, '10, 10:09 pm

Religion: A Professional Mathematician Just Trying to Follow Christ

If you explain the situation to the local store, then it's not a sin at all. If you lie to local store, either explicitly or by omission, then it would be a sin, as well as a criminal act.
Old Jul 8, '10, 10:38 pm

If the store accepts returns without a receipt, then I'd say that's perfectly legitimate.

I mean, the situation is no different than if you had been given the dress as a gift and wished to return it because it didn't fit. How you acquired the dress (as long as it wasn't stolen) is irrelevant. I don't think you're even morally required to explain the situation--the reason you are returning the dress is because it doesn't fit. The end.
Old Jul 8, '10, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
If you explain the situation to the local store, then it's not a sin at all. If you lie to local store, either explicitly or by omission, then it would be a sin, as well as a criminal act.
This answer seems right. It's not enough to say, "If the store accepts returns without a receipt . . .", because it's possible that the store is assuming that people will act on good faith and has chosen not to require receipts as a favor to people who have lost them, etc. Just call them up, say you have a question about a return, get transferred to the right person, and ask the question.

If they say they can do an exchange only, then tell them you already bought the other one, but you can show them the receipt for it. If they say no go, then return the other one, and exchange the one that's too large for it.

Old Jul 8, '10, 11:43 pm

Is it safe to assume the store you'd like to return the item to is a large department store starting with the letter "N"?

If so, your best bet would be to bring in both the eBay dress and the dress you purchased in the correct size. Explain the situation and ask if they would be willing to accept the return. If they salesperson says no, ask if you may return the dress you purchased at the store, and then exchange the too-big dress for the right-size dress in an "even exchange."

I recommend working with someone other than the original person who sold you the right-size dress. Salespersons are allowed to use their best judgment in these decisions, but the original salesperson's judgment will be colored by the commission he/she will lose in the transaction.

(I worked for this company from 2002 - 2003.)
Old Jul 9, '10, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
This answer seems right. It's not enough to say, "If the store accepts returns without a receipt . . .", because it's possible that the store is assuming that people will act on good faith and has chosen not to require receipts as a favor to people who have lost them, etc. Just call them up, say you have a question about a return, get transferred to the right person, and ask the question.

If they say they can do an exchange only, then tell them you already bought the other one, but you can show them the receipt for it. If they say no go, then return the other one, and exchange the one that's too large for it.
That seems kind of unnecessarily redundant . . . is there a material difference here? If I were the salesperson, that would be even more work--a return AND an exchange vs. just a return. Boo.

But I guess it is better to be completely honest.
Old Jul 9, '10, 12:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscati View Post
That seems kind of unnecessarily redundant . . . is there a material difference here? If I were the salesperson, that would be even more work--a return AND an exchange vs. just a return. Boo.

But I guess it is better to be completely honest.
Depending on store policy, this redundancy may be necessary. During my retail days, a polite attitude and honest explanation would have persuaded me to help out the original poster if she came into my store.
Old Jul 9, '10, 12:27 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoo View Post

simply bring the dress to the returns desk and tell them you did not buy it at that particular store, but would they please process the return. Same as if you bought it at their store in another mall.
Old Jul 9, '10, 12:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The problem is that you bought and paid someone else for the dress. So taking it to the department store for a refund, and taking money from the store for an item you didn't buy from them, is lying and stealing from the store. They didn't sell you the dress, why should they give you money for the dress?

I would be up-front and honest about it, talk to a manager, and would have asked for an even exchange for the dress in the correct size. But I wouldn't lie to them or omit information from them in order to give me money for the dress and stick them with the extra inventory that never belonged to them in the first place. Just MOHO.

Also, not sure where you shop, but where I shop, I have to sign the return receipt, which includes the bit about having bought the original item from that store. If you sign such a thing knowing that you bought the item from ebay instead, that's fraud.
Old Jul 9, '10, 12:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
simply bring the dress to the returns desk and tell them you did not buy it at that particular store, but would they please process the return. Same as if you bought it at their store in another mall.
Old Jul 9, '10, 1:03 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
The problem is that you bought and paid someone else for the dress. So taking it to the department store for a refund, and taking money from the store for an item you didn't buy from them, is lying and stealing from the store. They didn't sell you the dress, why should they give you money for the dress?

I would be up-front and honest about it, talk to a manager, and would have asked for an even exchange for the dress in the correct size. But I wouldn't lie to them or omit information from them in order to give me money for the dress and stick them with the extra inventory that never belonged to them in the first place. Just MOHO.

Also, not sure where you shop, but where I shop, I have to sign the return receipt, which includes the bit about having bought the original item from that store. If you sign such a thing knowing that you bought the item from ebay instead, that's fraud.
OP never suggested lying about where she got the dress. It would not be fraud as it is common practice for a chain store to accept at any of their locations returns of their merchandise purchased elsewhere. People return gifts all the time which they did not purchase, so receive money they did not spend, neither is that fraud
Old Jul 9, '10, 5:47 am

The store does accept returns without a receipt, but I agree with those who commented on being straight forward. The e-bay vendor did pay money to one of the stores, but I didn't. I am going with the instinct that honesty is the best policy.

Thus, I will call the store, speak to a manager and see what he/she says; I will also tell him/her how often I shop at their particular store. If they don't give me a store credit (which is what happens without a receipt) I will just donate it to charity, with its tag still attached. I can at least sleep well and receive the Eucharist in a clear conscience.

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice.
Old Jul 9, '10, 5:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
OP never suggested lying about where she got the dress. It would not be fraud as it is common practice for a chain store to accept at any of their locations returns of their merchandise purchased elsewhere. People return gifts all the time which they did not purchase, so receive money they did not spend, neither is that fraud
Yes, this store gladly accepts returns and exchanges purchased at any of its other stores and a receipt is not necessary. Case in point. I bought an adorable dress for my granddaughter for easter, but she just never wore it. I returned it a week ago for a store credit. It still had all tags and I'd purchased it at a store near me. I always tell which chain I bought it at and they still accept it.
Old Jul 9, '10, 6:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate

A slight business spin here: goods in inventory have a cost attached to them and any business worthy of its name attempts to keep inventory at a minimum to reduce that cost.

It's one thing to return an article purchased there because it doesn't fit, is defective, etc. If it doesn't fit, the inventory level just goes back up to what it was. If it's defective, the store will get redress from the supplier.

But if you bought the article elsewhere and dupe the store into taking it back (I'm pretty sure if they accept things back without receipt, it's on "good faith"), then you're increasing the store's inventory and inflicting a very real cost on them. True, this one-time event is probably trivial. But if enough people do it, it's no longer a trivial cost. Perhaps they factored this into their goodwill/without receipt return policy and figured out that the impact of the good will generated outweighs the cost of fraudulent returns, but we can't know that.

My advice would be to "suck it up", take it as a lesson that ebay has its risks, and donate the dress to a Good Will clothes drop box.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology