Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 14, '10, 7:20 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Extended Sign of the Cross?

I'm searching for an English (or Latin) text of an 'extended' Sign of the Cross prayer that I found in a John Paul II rosary flyer I came across in Colombia. It involves doing a small cross over the forehead, mouth and chest prior to the full sign of the cross. It is similar to the motions just prior to the gospel being read but with different text.

The text in Spanish is as follows:

Señal de la Cruz: por la señal de la Santa Cruz (en la frente), de nuestros enemigos (en la boca), líbranos Señor Dios Nuestro (en el pecho y los hombros). En el nombre del Padre, del Hijo y del Espíritu Santo (grande de la frente al pecho y del hombro izquierdo al derecho). Amen.

My translation:

Sign of the cross: For the sign of the Holy Cross (on the forehead), from our enemies (on the mouth), deliver us Lord, our God (on the chest and shoulders). In the name of the Father, the Son and of the Holy Spirit (large from the forehead to the chest and from the left shoulder to the right). Amen.

While we are at it .. there is another short prayer included after 'Glory be' and 'Oh my Jesus' that I am not familiar with in English. Here is the Spanish with my translation:

María, Madre de Gracia, Madre de Piedad y Madre de Misericordia, en la vida y en la muerte, ampáranos, Gran Señora.

Mary, Mother of Grace, Mother of (Pity or Piety), Mother of Mercy, in life and in death, protect us (or shelter us), Great Lady.

The end is awkward in my translation and I'd love to see the official English version.

Many, many thanks!
"To confess my personal feelings, when I reflect on all my blessings I am overcome by a kind of dread and numbness at the very possibility of ceasing to love God and of bringing shame upon Christ because of my lack of recollection and my preoccupation"
Old Jul 14, '10, 8:53 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Extended Sign of the Cross?

I think the 'O my Jesus prayer' is the Fatima prayer below.

The Fatima Prayer
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.

The only information i could find regarding other forms of sign of the cross is from Fish Eaters page
An excerpt from www.fisheaters.com/sign.html - Cached -

Other Signs of the Cross
There are other signs of the Cross that Catholics make, too. One is made by tracing a small Cross with the thumb of the right hand on people and things. This sign is especially used by parents when blessing children by tracing the sign on the children's foreheads..1 Sometimes the sign is traced by the thumb on a book of Sacred Scripture and then kissed before reading. The sign is also carved onto loaves of bread before cutting, etc.

Another sign is the large sign made in the air by bishops and priests when blessing persons or material objects.

Yet another is the series of three small Crosses traced by the thumb of the right hand -- one small Cross on the forehead, one small Cross on the lips, and one small Cross on the breast -- just before the Gospel reading at Mass. The sign on the forehead is to show that we believe the Gospel, the sign on the lips is to show that we respect the Gospel and desire to spread the Good News, and the sign on our breast is to show that we love the Gospel and want it kept in our hearts. 2

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Jul 14, '10, 10:20 am

Religion: Catholic

Thanks for the reply ..

Your link actually includes the answer but indicated that it is specific to Mexican culture. I have since found out that it is practiced in other parts of the Latin America.

Here is the text from the link you provided:

2 When passing by or upon entering a church, many Mexicans make this form of the sign (with the thumb laid over the index finger to form a cross) -- on the forehead, lips, and mouth -- while praying the words, "Por la senal de la Santa Cruz, de nuestros enemigos libranos Señor Dios Nuestro" -- "By the sign of the Holy Cross deliver us, Lord, from our enemies." This is followed by the regular sign of the Cross outlined above (whose words in Spanish are, "En el nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo, amen") and the kissing of the Cross made by the thumb laid over the index finger. They refer to the first sign as "signing oneself" ("signarse") and the second action as "blessing oneself" ("santiguarse").
"To confess my personal feelings, when I reflect on all my blessings I am overcome by a kind of dread and numbness at the very possibility of ceasing to love God and of bringing shame upon Christ because of my lack of recollection and my preoccupation"
Old Mar 26, '12, 9:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was taught to do this as a child but have forgotten over the years. A youtube clip would be a blessing.
Old Mar 27, '12, 5:18 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: Extended Sign of the Cross?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvbxx View Post
Thanks for the reply ..

Your link actually includes the answer but indicated that it is specific to Mexican culture. I have since found out that it is practiced in other parts of the Latin America.

Here is the text from the link you provided:

2 When passing by or upon entering a church, many Mexicans make this form of the sign (with the thumb laid over the index finger to form a cross) -- on the forehead, lips, and mouth -- while praying the words, "Por la senal de la Santa Cruz, de nuestros enemigos libranos Señor Dios Nuestro" -- "By the sign of the Holy Cross deliver us, Lord, from our enemies." This is followed by the regular sign of the Cross outlined above (whose words in Spanish are, "En el nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo, amen") and the kissing of the Cross made by the thumb laid over the index finger. They refer to the first sign as "signing oneself" ("signarse") and the second action as "blessing oneself" ("santiguarse").

Nice,thanks for posting this!
Blessings!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence