Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Conclave: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 3, '05, 9:07 pm

Default the media / end of the world

While the media seems to be salivating over the death of the Pope it seems to just show their ignorance. The media seems to keep mentioning that the next Pope could lift the restrictions on birth control, women priests, abortion and gay marriage. It seems to me that they are just showing their ignorance. While I know that most of you reading this will agree with me I just feel that I have to get these ideas off my mind.

The Catholic Church is a church of logic. One thing is closely related to another. Example: if the new Pope would say that birth control was acceptable then they would have to say that other sexual activity not open to life is also ok e.g masturbation. If this activity is then ok then how could they say gay marriage is wrong. It all follows logic. The reverse is also true. If the Church says (which it does) that all life is sacred then so is the act that creates it. This is why all sexual activity must be open to life.
and gay marriage is not open to life.

The media just does not take the time to understand that to change the view on one issue would mean to change everything and even go against the teaching of Jesus

There is also discussion that the end of the world is near. Some are saying that there are only two popes left, and with rising oil prices the US economy is going to go into a tailspin and then their will be famine, and so forth. Keep in mind that we are a people of hope. As long as we have true faith in God we have noting to fear and should wake every day and make the choice to live for the Lord.

Sorry about my rambling I just had to get this thought out.

John
Old Apr 4, '05, 6:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite
Default Re: the media / end of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconrail
There is also discussion that the end of the world is near.
I thought the media elite thouht the world ended when Bush was elected president

PF
Old Apr 4, '05, 6:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

They are hoping that their oppinion will chage the Church Whatever it won't happen if the gates of hell won't prevail against her neither will the main stream media
Old Apr 4, '05, 6:28 pm

Quote:
While the media seems to be salivating over the death of the Pope it seems to just show their ignorance. The media seems to keep mentioning that the next Pope could lift the restrictions on birth control, women priests, abortion and gay marriage. It seems to me that they are just showing their ignorance. While I know that most of you reading this will agree with me I just feel that I have to get these ideas off my mind.

The Catholic Church is a church of logic. One thing is closely related to another. Example: if the new Pope would say that birth control was acceptable then they would have to say that other sexual activity not open to life is also ok e.g masturbation. If this activity is then ok then how could they say gay marriage is wrong. It all follows logic. The reverse is also true. If the Church says (which it does) that all life is sacred then so is the act that creates it. This is why all sexual activity must be open to life.

The media just does not take the time to understand that to change the view on one issue would mean to change everything and even go against the teaching of Jesus

There is also discussion that the end of the world is near. Some are saying that there are only two popes left, and with rising oil prices the US economy is going to go into a tailspin and then their will be famine, and so forth. Keep in mind that we are a people of hope. As long as we have true faith in God we have noting to fear and should wake every day and make the choice to live for the Lord.

John
excellent points- you expressed them so well too! thanks!
Old Apr 4, '05, 7:26 pm

thank you mrconrail! excellent stuff. couldn't agree more!
Old Apr 4, '05, 7:31 pm

It's interesting to watch the faces of these educated relativistic "reporters" and moderators when Catholic orthodox teachers talk about the Pope and concepts like the sanctity of life, Church tradition, the dignity of each person, the culture of life, objective Truth and God's Will. It reminds one of the look dogs make when they hear a strange and unrecognizable sound.
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

You offerings of logic are very helpful and forwarding.
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
While the media seems to be salivating over the death of the Pope it seems to just show their ignorance.
You know, of course, that Raymond Arroyo of EWTN, is equally a part of the media/press corps. I don't have cable TV, so please tell me how much salivating has he been doing over JPII's death and how much ignorance has he been showing?
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:34 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: cradle Catholic

Quote:
John
Please, do not be sorry. You didn't ramble. You made very excellent points.

Thank you

Blessings,
Shannin
Corinthians (10:17)
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardols
You know, of course, that Raymond Arroyo of EWTN, is equally a part of the media/press corps. I don't have cable TV, so please tell me how much salivating has he been doing over JPII's death and how much ignorance has he been showing?
Non sequitur. You know the discussion on this thread refers primarily to the major secular media (MSM). Also, you may not have cable, but unless you're in the library, you have a computer and can get EWTN's live feed from a link on their homepage.

Now to my oiriginal thought. Not only is the MSM adept at getting digs at Catholocism, which they don't like and don't understand, they are absolute geniuses at finding dissident Catholics ( Richard McBrien, Andrew Greely, et al ) to reinfordce their skewed view of the Church.
My local "newspaper" dug up a "Catholic" writer who used to work for Comonweal and gave him 3/4 of the Op/Ed page this morning to express his wishes and desires for what the next pope would do. It was quite an exposition of the thinking of the left side of the spectrum.
At least he admitted up front that he was liberal. Of course, so is the "newspaper."
I suppose we'll have to put up with this until the next pope announces that, contrary to popular American opinion, Truth does not change.

Sub Tuum Praesidium

All the way to me you have descended; such is the humility of my Savior.
Charles Gounod

Last edited by Strider; Apr 5, '05 at 12:38 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, Raymond has been pretty good. They obviously don't have the big production budget, but they are keeping it real. I haven't heard anything ignorant from EWTN.

"Get that wasp off my sandwich!!"
Old Apr 5, '05, 12:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
You know the discussion on this thread refers primarily to the major secular media (MSM).
mrconrail used only the term "media," and that includes all the media from NPR on the left to Faux News on the right. And that includes EWTN and Mr. Arroyo and everyone in between.

Quote:
Not only is the MSM adept at getting digs at Catholocism,
Including the conservative newspapers and Murdoch's rightist TV outlets?

What's with the broadbrushing? Ever try to be specific?
Old Apr 5, '05, 2:38 pm

Quote:
mrconrail used only the term "media," and that includes all the media from NPR on the left to Faux News on the right. And that includes EWTN and Mr. Arroyo and everyone in between.
Faux news...cute

Quote:
Including the conservative newspapers and Murdoch's rightist TV outlets?
Don't know. I don't get any conservative newspapers, unless you count the National Catholic Register, and I haven't received their JPII issue yet.

Quote:
What's with the broadbrushing? Ever try to be specific?
Just as soon as you refrain from taking my statements out of context. I will, however, mention, of the ones I've seen: CNN, my local Public TV outlet, CBC, the Seattle Times and CBS. Oh, and MSNBC.
That should do for starters and for finishers, too, because, frankly I don't have time to sit around listening to liberal MSM dissing the Church.

Sub Tuum Praesidium

All the way to me you have descended; such is the humility of my Savior.
Charles Gounod
Old Apr 5, '05, 2:43 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
major secular media (MSM).
I like this
Old Apr 5, '05, 3:02 pm

Quote:

John
One of the problems is that the media looks at the Catholic Church as just another church. Protestant churches have given way to false teachings. They just expect the Catholic Church will follow. They just don't see the difference.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Conclave: 2005