Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 3, '05, 10:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default 60 Minutes interview with ND priest

Having never been through a papal death before, the past few days have been emotionally and spiritually intense for many of us. As a member of the media, I naturally wanted to tune in to see how the networks and their shows are covering John Paul II's passing. I came across this interview with Father Richard McBrien, a priest who is also a Notre Dame historian. It was this particular part of the interview that upset me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in685130.shtml

While the pope is the last absolute monarch on earth, John Paul II succeeded in becoming the symbol of freedom around the world. But he held fast on doctrine -- birth control, celibacy and women priests.

But McBrien believes these are relatively minor issues. “Look, women are gonna be ordained, that’s the way history is moving. I mean, it’s gonna be a non-issue pretty soon. Celibacy will go because we’re gonna run out of priests if we don’t change that. Those are really small issues,” says McBrien.

I don't understand how McBrien can possibly, honestly believe that birth control, celibacy and the ordination of women as priests are minor issues. John Paul dedicated an entire encyclical to birth control and celibacy. More to the point, he effectively closed the discussion on the ordination of women. I don't recall any other issue the Holy Father actually closing for discussion. Although I am not a priest or a historian, I fail to understand how McBrien can logically conclude how the Church will eventually "cave in" on these minor issues.

“The real big issue is, how do you make a world which sees net worth and the gathering of creature comforts and powers and possessions as kind of the norm of happiness? How do you get a world like that to say, ‘That fellow with a black face, that gay over there, that homeless person, these are your brothers and sisters, we’re all one human family.’ Birth control, ordination of women, celibacy, they are fly specs on the windowpane compared with that kind of challenge that a new pope will have.”

I can understand McBrien's concern for social equality and social justice, which are both wholly consistant with the Catholic faith. Yet I cannot agree with his statement that birth control, celibacy, and the ordination of women are minor issues in comparison with social equality and justice, perhaps simply because they are not minor issues at all, whether by themselves or in comparison to others.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what you all think.
Old Apr 3, '05, 10:36 pm

Default Re: 60 Minutes interview with ND priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg21
Having never been through a papal death before, the past few days have been emotionally and spiritually intense for many of us. As a member of the media, I naturally wanted to tune in to see how the networks and their shows are covering John Paul II's passing. I came across this interview with Father Richard McBrien, a priest who is also a Notre Dame historian. It was this particular part of the interview that upset me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in685130.shtml

While the pope is the last absolute monarch on earth, John Paul II succeeded in becoming the symbol of freedom around the world. But he held fast on doctrine -- birth control, celibacy and women priests.

But McBrien believes these are relatively minor issues. “Look, women are gonna be ordained, that’s the way history is moving. I mean, it’s gonna be a non-issue pretty soon. Celibacy will go because we’re gonna run out of priests if we don’t change that. Those are really small issues,” says McBrien.

I don't understand how McBrien can possibly, honestly believe that birth control, celibacy and the ordination of women as priests are minor issues. John Paul dedicated an entire encyclical to birth control and celibacy. More to the point, he effectively closed the discussion on the ordination of women. I don't recall any other issue the Holy Father actually closing for discussion. Although I am not a priest or a historian, I fail to understand how McBrien can logically conclude how the Church will eventually "cave in" on these minor issues.

“The real big issue is, how do you make a world which sees net worth and the gathering of creature comforts and powers and possessions as kind of the norm of happiness? How do you get a world like that to say, ‘That fellow with a black face, that gay over there, that homeless person, these are your brothers and sisters, we’re all one human family.’ Birth control, ordination of women, celibacy, they are fly specs on the windowpane compared with that kind of challenge that a new pope will have.”

I can understand McBrien's concern for social equality and social justice, which are both wholly consistant with the Catholic faith. Yet I cannot agree with his statement that birth control, celibacy, and the ordination of women are minor issues in comparison with social equality and justice, perhaps simply because they are not minor issues at all, whether by themselves or in comparison to others.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what you all think.

Notre Dame fired the wrong guy when they ousted Ty Willingham. That's what I think.

When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire there ...
Old Apr 3, '05, 10:38 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

Well, celibacy of the priesthood is a minor issue compared to the others listed, because it could be changed the day the new Pope is elected, if not before. Justice, birth control, ordanation of women, these are things that will never change in the Church. Social equality is something that is being developed in understanding now, so it's hard to nail down, but it also comes from the deposit of faith. The Catholic Church already has non-celibate priests, however, both in the Latin Rite as the exception, and in some Eastern Rites as the norm.

Realistically speaking, the issue of the celibate priesthood borders on non-issue because the Catholic Church doesn't have an across-the-board rule about it; it's left up to the Churches as a matter of internal discipline.
Old Apr 3, '05, 10:50 pm

That's right, I remember. Ty never did get a fair shake with the Fightin' Irish did he?

Oh well. Maybe Charlie Weis will have a more positive experience there.
Old Apr 3, '05, 10:54 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Lightbulb Re: 60 Minutes interview with ND priest

ABC only brings dissident and heterodox members of the Church, such as McBrien and someone form America magazine. Then again, there's no such thing as liberal bias in the media and ABC even cleared Dan Rather of any liberal bias before ousting him... Yeah, right!

Old Apr 3, '05, 11:13 pm

Oh boy! My favorite priest from our University was on 60 minutes!

Fr. McBrien is a disgrace to our University. I really wish I could oust him and his heretical ideas. I can't believe Notre Dame allows him to stick around. McBrien is able to get rid off the Orthodox priests in the Theology department that stand up to his Unorthodox teachings. I am ashamed to have him affiliated with the school I attend.

I saw his comments on ordaining women happening soon and trivializing the pope. He really upset me watching the TV. Does he not understand that issue cannot change? I can't wait till I eventually become a priest and do my duty to serve the faithfull and bring them to the Truth through Orthodoxy.
Old Apr 3, '05, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Mike

Fr. McBrien is a disgrace to our University. I really wish I could oust him and his heretical ideas. I can't believe Notre Dame allows him to stick around. McBrien is able to get rid off the Orthodox priests in the Theology department that stand up to his Unorthodox teachings. I am ashamed to have him affiliated with the school I attend.

from what I understand, you are not in the minority among your Catholic classmates about your feelings of McBrien's teachings.

When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire there ...
Old Apr 4, '05, 12:05 am

Post Re: 60 Minutes interview with ND priest

Quote:

I saw his comments on ordaining women happening soon and trivializing the pope. He really upset me watching the TV. Does he not understand that issue cannot change? I can't wait till I eventually become a priest and do my duty to serve the faithfull and bring them to the Truth through Orthodoxy.
Look at this this way - CBS is irrelevant to news and so is McBrien. It ws a good match. Why aren't you watching Fox - they've had more good Catholics on as commentators than I've seen as a group in ages.ers, Fessio, Ray Arroyo, the editor of Natl Catholic Register, Bishop O'Donoghe from Atlanta, editor of Crisis, Mike Novak, Fr. Vince O'Brien., Bill Bennett, Bill O'Donohue from Catholic League..a fantastic lineup.
Old Apr 4, '05, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagiaSophia
Look at this this way - CBS is irrelevant to news and so is McBrien. It ws a good match. Why aren't you watching Fox - they've had more good Catholics on as commentators than I've seen as a group in ages.ers, Fessio, Ray Arroyo, the editor of Natl Catholic Register, Bishop O'Donoghe from Atlanta, editor of Crisis, Mike Novak, Fr. Vince O'Brien., Bill Bennett, Bill O'Donohue from Catholic League..a fantastic lineup.
I was in my dorm room and we don't have cable or the dish. I would have had to go downstairs but I wanted to see what Fr. McBriend would say next. He never surprises me.
Old Apr 4, '05, 12:27 am

Post Re: 60 Minutes interview with ND priest

Quote:
He never surprises me.
He's been consistently wrong for over 30 years and it hasn't stopped him yet. I use him as a bellweather. Whatever he is for, I know I'm against.
Old Apr 4, '05, 12:37 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Did you all hear the story about Cardinal Arinze's speech at a Jesuit University (Georgetown) and how there was great outcrying against what he said. What exactly did he say? "Families are important. We need to filter out the many things that are hurting us including contraception, abortion, divorce, and the lies of homosexual lifestyle promotion." Ok, maybe not EXACTLY but you all get the picture. Perfectly in line with Catholic doctrine, at a Catholic college, massive protest and outcry. The reason I bring this up is because the ND priest reminds me of how rediculous the faculties of these "Catholic" Universities are.
Old Apr 4, '05, 3:37 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg21
That's right, I remember. Ty never did get a fair shake with the Fightin' Irish did he?

Oh well. Maybe Charlie Weis will have a more positive experience there.
Charlie Wies has more common sense than this dissenting "priest".
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Apr 4, '05, 3:41 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

My wife started a similar thread last night after watching the interview with Father O'Brien. I do not see any of the same names participating so take a look for some additional viewpoints:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=47549
Old Apr 4, '05, 6:11 am

My children were watching it because they are interested in learning about him. Well I had to explain to them why a Priest would be saying such nonsense.
Old Apr 4, '05, 6:24 am

Send a message via Yahoo to pittsburghjeff

Ironic isn't it? CBS puts O'Brien on to criticize the Pope when the only criticism of the pope that is even remotely valid is the existence and continued employment of O'Brien himself.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005