Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '10, 7:10 am

Religion: Christ Follower
Default Civil Marriage and RCIA

My husband and I got married through the justice of the peace. He's Catholic and I'm not and I would like to attend RCIA this fall but am afraid that our marriage would prevent me from doing so. Will I be able to attend RCIA or do I have to get my marriage recognized first or can I have it recognized while in the middle of RCIA? I really am looking forward to becoming a member of the Catholic Church so I'm praying that my situation won't hold me back. I emailed my parish back in May and hadn't gotten any response at all so I called the office and was told to call back in August. Not much helpful at all!

Thanks to all!
Old Jul 16, '10, 7:51 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Civil Marriage and RCIA

The best thing would be to talk with your pastor to get information specific to your situation.

If you were asking me I would tell you that you could go ahead and start RCIA. But I would also explain to you that you need to see the pastor as soon as possible and start making arrangements for the convalidation of your marriage. Your marriage would have to be straightened out before you could come into the Church, though it could turn out that everything happens in close proximity. We had someone a year ago who had her first confession in the morning, marriage in the afternoon, and confirmation and First Communion the next day. Talk about sacramental graces!
Old Jul 16, '10, 9:02 am

Religion: Catholic

Cccw2009
Things are being mixed here, anybody can attend RCIA unless they are disruptive. Office trouble is standard not the exception. Here is a typical easier way 1) contact the RCIA director, coordinator, or team member ask them to help you enroll in RCIA, and give you contact information to the marriage ministry (not minister). Then sit down with a member of the marriage ministry and look at past marriages etcetera.., then look at 1) Radical Senate - the church acknowledges your marriage, 2) convalidation the church blesses your marriage.

Not to get confused you cannot receive a catholic sacrament until the marriage issue is resolved. Whether this is a small issue or a large issue is based on several factors which the marriage ministry is handles regularly.

hope that helps
Old Jul 16, '10, 9:39 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccw2009 View Post
My husband and I got married through the justice of the peace. He's Catholic and I'm not and I would like to attend RCIA this fall but am afraid that our marriage would prevent me from doing so. Will I be able to attend RCIA or do I have to get my marriage recognized first or can I have it recognized while in the middle of RCIA? I really am looking forward to becoming a member of the Catholic Church so I'm praying that my situation won't hold me back. I emailed my parish back in May and hadn't gotten any response at all so I called the office and was told to call back in August. Not much helpful at all!

Thanks to all!
It will soon be August so keep calling at least once a week until you get an appointment with the priest. You have to speak with him first. Your Catholic husband is bound by Catholic law on marriage, so you are not validly married. Before he can return to the sacraments, and before you can be received into the Church, that has to be rectified. Assuming neither of you has any previous marriages that is a rather simple process, which will involve some formal preparation suited to your personal needs. You can participate in RCIA while this is going on, and you will find it all comes together, but the first step is an interview for both of you with the pastor.

Welcome home, and you find, as most couples do, this is much simpler than it seems at first.

We had to couples last year who had marriages convalidated, received sacraments, and one partner became Catholic, all in a one-week time frame.
Old Jul 16, '10, 10:24 am

Religion: Christ Follower

Thanks everyone for your helpful answers! My husband and I don't have any previous marriages so thankfully that's not a problem. I'll call the office sometime next month and set an appointment with the priest or whoever I need to meet. I'm glad that I can still attend RCIA. I'm really hoping that I can be received at Easter Vigil 2011 but I have so much to learn, but I'll see! If I can't be received in 2011, at least my marriage will be acknowledged and my husband can receive communion. Just looking on the bright side
Old Jul 19, '10, 7:02 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic, with a love for the Byzantine East

If I'm not mistaken, you should also only live together as "brother and sister" (no sexual intimacy) until the marriage is convalidated, because your husband should have received a dispensation/permission to marry you from the bishop first.

Or am I mistaken in my theology? Anyone know for sure?

Anyways, I'm thrilled to hear that you want to enter the Church! Welcome!
Old Jul 20, '10, 6:12 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissemissed View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you should also only live together as "brother and sister" (no sexual intimacy) until the marriage is convalidated, because your husband should have received a dispensation/permission to marry you from the bishop first.

Or am I mistaken in my theology? Anyone know for sure?

Anyways, I'm thrilled to hear that you want to enter the Church! Welcome!
Some advise that but it is not a Church teaching

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments