Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jul 17, '10, 9:32 am
jimcav's Avatar
jimcav jimcav is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Posts: 905
Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Being Received Into The Church....

Upon completion of RCIA, the new Catholic convert is usually brought up to the altar and recieved into the Church in a public way in front of the whole congregation, the priest and sometimes even the Bishop is present.

Can one complete RCIA, but then be recieved into the Church privately with just the priest and sponsor present?
__________________
May The Passion Of Jesus Christ Be Ever In Your Hearts

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 17, '10, 9:54 am
twopekinguys's Avatar
twopekinguys twopekinguys is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2007
Posts: 5,452
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being Recieved Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Upon completion of RCIA, the new Catholic convert is usually brought up to the altar and recieved into the Church in a public way in front of the whole congregation, the priest and sometimes even the Bishop is present.

Can one complete RCIA, but then be recieved into the Church privately with just the priest and sponsor present?
Yes, it can be done privately, although the preferred way is in front of a congregation.

Periodically, we have a candidate who cannot attend the Easter Vigil due to work scheduling, family emergencies, etc., so they have been received into the Church privately.

In our parish, there needs to be a compelling reason for the individual to be brought in privately as opposed to being brought in at Mass with the rest of their class. Assuming of course there is more than one person in the class.

If it is a matter of shyness, I would have to wonder how the person makes it through the various Rites that are required. (Acceptance, Election, Scrutinies
__________________
Happy for what you have?
Thank God, then Thank a Veteran
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 17, '10, 11:02 am
SuscipeMeDomine SuscipeMeDomine is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,833
Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Upon completion of RCIA, the new Catholic convert is usually brought up to the altar and recieved into the Church in a public way in front of the whole congregation, the priest and sometimes even the Bishop is present.

Can one complete RCIA, but then be recieved into the Church privately with just the priest and sponsor present?
Depending on whether or not the person is already baptized, they'll be receiving the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist. The normal way of doing that is in within a Mass. Having a Mass for just the catechumen/candidate and sponsor would be unusual.

Do you have in mind that the person would do all the rites individually? Rite of Acceptance or Welcoming, Scrutinies, and Rite of Election/Call to Continuing Conversion. Since the Rite of Election is done with the bishop it wold definitely be tricky to leave out the rest of the congregation.

Part of becoming Catholic is joining a parish community -- Catholicism is not a "Jesus and me" religion, it's a "Jesus and us" religion. What would be the person's reason for wanting to eliminate the rest of their parish from the sacraments?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 17, '10, 11:07 am
jmcrae's Avatar
jmcrae jmcrae is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 34,737
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Upon completion of RCIA, the new Catholic convert is usually brought up to the altar and recieved into the Church in a public way in front of the whole congregation, the priest and sometimes even the Bishop is present.

Can one complete RCIA, but then be recieved into the Church privately with just the priest and sponsor present?
The congregation has the right to know who the new Catholics are, so that they can fulfill their duty to help and support them in their journey of faith.

It is also a witness to them, that their faith is worth the sacrifices that are being made by the new converts - it helps them to appreciate the great gifts that they have taken for granted all their lives.

If there were an overriding, compelling reason to do it privately (ie: death threats against a convert from Islam) they would consider it, but normally, these are public events.
__________________
According to Quentin Tarentino, (Kill Bill Volume 2) Clark Kent is Superman's opinion of the human race. It occurs to me that, using the same logic, Jesus of Nazareth is God's.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 17, '10, 11:45 am
pinctor's Avatar
pinctor pinctor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 7, 2010
Posts: 150
Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: Being Received Into The Church....

They didn't have RCIA in my day - I was received "privately" 57 years ago. So were all converts AFAIK.
All blessings, anyway!

Last edited by pinctor; Jul 17, '10 at 11:47 am. Reason: Error in acronym
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 17, '10, 11:09 pm
snowman10 snowman10 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 593
Religion: Want-to-be-RC
Send a message via AIM to snowman10
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

I am currently in the process of being received into the Church and will do so outside of RCIA. If interested, the thread is in this forum FYI.

Anywho, I am not a fan of public displays. This is coming from a former theatre actor with numerous plays and musicals under his belt. I never minded performing but when it comes to being myself in front of a large group, I just don't enjoy it. But I understand that the Church is a family, even if dysfunctional, and we celebrate as one.

That being said, I am hoping that my parish priest will agree to do it privately. If not, I will deal. The greatest gains require the greatest sacrifices.

Of course, my sacrifice is nothing compared to that of Jesus. Glass half-full in this instance.

DU
__________________
remember when life pushes you down to your knees, you're in a perfect position to pray
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 18, '10, 6:48 am
jimcav's Avatar
jimcav jimcav is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Posts: 905
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Thanks for your responses.

I think I need to elaborate on this story. The woman that I am asking this question for has been going to our parish for a long time now. Everyone thought she was Catholic. She is very devout, respectful and comfortable with Mass. She even says the rosary. When she came to me about conversion and RCIA, I was surprised, but certainly willing to help. Now the hard part - she has recieved Communion at Mass. Not always, but sometimes. She takes Communion in the right frame of mind, that it is the true body and blood of Christ. Still, I talked to her about this and told her why she needs to refrain.

Now, obviously our priest does not know about this. How will he handle this situation when he is told? Nobody wants this to cause a scandal, because this woman is so well liked and we certainly don't want to chase her away, we want to make it right.

PS - Please be gentle with your answers and try not to judge...
__________________
May The Passion Of Jesus Christ Be Ever In Your Hearts

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 18, '10, 6:52 am
snowman10 snowman10 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 593
Religion: Want-to-be-RC
Send a message via AIM to snowman10
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Still needs to be addressed regardless of her intentions and being well-meaning.

Perhaps talk with her one-on-one and mention it to her. If not, talk to your priest. I would certainly try to talk with her first if you're comfortable with it.
__________________
remember when life pushes you down to your knees, you're in a perfect position to pray
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 18, '10, 7:37 am
jimcav's Avatar
jimcav jimcav is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Posts: 905
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman10 View Post
Still needs to be addressed regardless of her intentions and being well-meaning.

Perhaps talk with her one-on-one and mention it to her. If not, talk to your priest. I would certainly try to talk with her first if you're comfortable with it.
I have spoken to her and she is willing to refrain from receiving until she completes RCIA. And we will go to our parish priest together and talk to him when she is ready.

I guess the biggest fear is how our pastor will react...
__________________
May The Passion Of Jesus Christ Be Ever In Your Hearts

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 18, '10, 8:29 am
SuscipeMeDomine SuscipeMeDomine is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,833
Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Your priest isn't going to fall on the floor in shock. He's encountered the situation before where a non-Catholic has received communion. I've had times when I've spoken to inquirers and one of their questions is along the lines of "can I still receive communion when I'm in RCIA?" Well...no...you shouldn't have been receiving it in the first place. But people don't always know that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 18, '10, 9:02 am
jmcrae's Avatar
jmcrae jmcrae is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 34,737
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Thanks for your responses.

I think I need to elaborate on this story. The woman that I am asking this question for has been going to our parish for a long time now. Everyone thought she was Catholic. She is very devout, respectful and comfortable with Mass. She even says the rosary. When she came to me about conversion and RCIA, I was surprised, but certainly willing to help. Now the hard part - she has recieved Communion at Mass. Not always, but sometimes. She takes Communion in the right frame of mind, that it is the true body and blood of Christ. Still, I talked to her about this and told her why she needs to refrain.

Now, obviously our priest does not know about this. How will he handle this situation when he is told? Nobody wants this to cause a scandal, because this woman is so well liked and we certainly don't want to chase her away, we want to make it right.

PS - Please be gentle with your answers and try not to judge...
This situation is very common. If your priest is not fresh out of Seminary, he has dealt with similar situations in the past.

I was one such. People at one of the parishes I was visiting thought I was Catholic, and there were circumstances that made me feel that it was best not to enlighten them. I wasn't hiding, but at the same time, I had become involved with a group of friends there, and it seemed best to me to leave them under the impression that I was Catholic. (I never received Holy Communion there, but no one ever noticed that.) Over the course of time we became involved in various activities that, while not absolutely forbidden to non-Catholics, would have caused eye-brows to rise.

When I made the move to actually become Catholic, they became aware of my RCIA journey - and they were my staunchest supporters. Far from turning away shocked or disappointed, they walked with me the whole way, bought me good books, furnished my home Altar, and taught me to say my prayers. Indeed, they supplied me with a kind of Catholic childhood and parented me into the Church in a way that no RCIA is capable of doing - they were my true godparents.

I used to think I was the only one, and then I became aware of a great many others. The stranger you sit near at Mass may well be a non-Catholic visitor who is wondering how to "out" himself or herself.
__________________
According to Quentin Tarentino, (Kill Bill Volume 2) Clark Kent is Superman's opinion of the human race. It occurs to me that, using the same logic, Jesus of Nazareth is God's.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jul 18, '10, 9:04 am
jmcrae's Avatar
jmcrae jmcrae is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 34,737
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post

I guess the biggest fear is how our pastor will react...
Take it from me - he's going to be thrilled.

Please don't worry.
__________________
According to Quentin Tarentino, (Kill Bill Volume 2) Clark Kent is Superman's opinion of the human race. It occurs to me that, using the same logic, Jesus of Nazareth is God's.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 18, '10, 10:34 am
jimcav's Avatar
jimcav jimcav is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Posts: 905
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Thank you all for the good answers. You have made me feel more comfortable helping this woman move forward. I don't know why I wouldn't trust that the pastor would understand or have seen a similar situation. I must do better in putting all of my trust in Him!



Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
This situation is very common. If your priest is not fresh out of Seminary, he has dealt with similar situations in the past.

I was one such. People at one of the parishes I was visiting thought I was Catholic, and there were circumstances that made me feel that it was best not to enlighten them. I wasn't hiding, but at the same time, I had become involved with a group of friends there, and it seemed best to me to leave them under the impression that I was Catholic. (I never received Holy Communion there, but no one ever noticed that.) Over the course of time we became involved in various activities that, while not absolutely forbidden to non-Catholics, would have caused eye-brows to rise.

When I made the move to actually become Catholic, they became aware of my RCIA journey - and they were my staunchest supporters. Far from turning away shocked or disappointed, they walked with me the whole way, bought me good books, furnished my home Altar, and taught me to say my prayers. Indeed, they supplied me with a kind of Catholic childhood and parented me into the Church in a way that no RCIA is capable of doing - they were my true godparents.

I used to think I was the only one, and then I became aware of a great many others. The stranger you sit near at Mass may well be a non-Catholic visitor who is wondering how to "out" himself or herself.
I think this story matches up to the way this woman came to us. Thanks for sharing that!
__________________
May The Passion Of Jesus Christ Be Ever In Your Hearts

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jul 23, '10, 6:02 pm
thequeen thequeen is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2009
Posts: 1,031
Religion: Orthodox Catholic
Default Re: Being Received Into The Church....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinctor View Post
They didn't have RCIA in my day - I was received "privately" 57 years ago. So were all converts AFAIK.
All blessings, anyway!
Hi Pinctor I was also received privately after a year of private instruction fronm a very good priest who who taught me the faith very well I also had to be baptised conditionally be cause there was some question as to whether my one before was valid but i did sit through an rcia class about three years later just for the experience
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8303Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Inariga
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4355Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3614Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3211Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3196Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3068For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Holly Christine



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:15 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.