Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Matthew's Gospel Study Group

Matthew's Gospel Study Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Jul 28, '10, 11:19 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Chapter One: Questions for Application

1:1-17
Matthew's genealogy is intended to build the reader's faith in Jesus the Messiah. As you study this list of names, what about it helps to build up your faith in him.

1:20
Joseph had already been committed to Mary when the angel in the dream encouraged him not to "fear to take Mary your wife". How has God addressed fears you may have had about your state-in-life decisions?

1:24
What is the importance of the detail that Joseph "woke from sleep" as he was considering his relationship with Mary. What events in your life have entailed a similar "waking from sleep"? What happened as a result?

1:25
Matthew says that Joseph (not Mary) named the child and that he knew the meaning of the name. Who named you, and why? What does your name mean to you? What does it mean to God?
Old Jul 29, '10, 4:50 am

Default Re: Chapter One: Questions for Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithm29 View Post
What is the importance of the detail that Joseph "woke from sleep" as he was considering his relationship with Mary. What events in your life have entailed a similar "waking from sleep"? What happened as a result?
I suppose I'll start these questions.

Sacra Pagina (which is turning out to be an awesome commentary) goes into detail about how God uses dreams to speak with the faithful, and how the ancients viewed dreams differently than we do. I was really tempted to look at this question in terms of dreams, but the more I thought about it, the less relevant that seemed to me. Instead, I suppose that there are a lot of ways God speaks to me that I ignore, but one stands out to me recently as "waking from sleep".

I left the Church several years ago for a number of reasons, but I think they all boil down to a lack of humility. While I wasn't necessarily happy with my life, I wasn't unhappy with it either, so I kept ambling along, going to work and coming home, with no thought of God in my life at all. Early this year, I took my wife and kids to DC for a vacation, and we decided to stop by the basilica on our last day there. We had been before and remembered how beautiful it was, and I wanted to see it again.

While I was there, I saw my son walk up to the kneeler in the Miraculous Medal chapel. He hadn't been to mass since right after he was baptized, but he knew enough to kneel in front of Our Lady for a few minutes, silently. He proceeded to kneel in every single chapel in the basilica, sometimes for 10 seconds, sometimes for five minutes.

In addition to watching him, I felt something while I was there. It's hard to explain it, but I suppose the best explanation is that being there was emotionally stirring. My heart felt a little lighter, my eyes were open wide, and I just felt like I was in the right place.

It would have been easy to discount all of those things and offer alternate explanations. My son saw other people kneel, so he did it. He continued to do it because he saw the look on our faces after the first time (incidentally, my daughter started doing it with him shortly). That emotionally stirring feeling was a mixture of familiarity and beautiful architecture and artwork.

I didn't discount it, though. I knew that what I felt didn't come from within me, because my life had been so steady and selfish for so long. Like Joseph, I felt the Spirit moving in me, and for once, I was receptive to it. I didn't immediately change my life. It was another month before I went to mass and another month after that (on Corpus Christi) before I went to confession and received the Eucharist. But, I think that the feeling I was graced with in the basilica did come from God, and I should thank Saint Joseph for whatever part he had in helping me realize its source.
Old Jul 29, '10, 3:57 pm

Joseph had already been committed to Mary when the angel in the dream encouraged him not to "fear to take Mary your wife". How has God addressed fears you may have had about your state-in-life decisions?

I can share a very deeply moving prayer moment, one that taught me a lot more about prayer and God's compassion.

I cannot even remember what events were happening in my life (the following experience has overshadowed it completely) but it was one of extreme stress and deep fear and it concerned my family. I was in the church trying to find some answers using my favourite form of solitary prayer - centering prayer. (sitting relaxed, breathing in and out, finding the quiet place within you using a short phrase repeated over and over as you breathe).

I sat and began to breathe in, thinking "Jesus", breathing out, thinking "Give me strength". I have no idea how long I sat there, breathing and fighting the turmoil inside. The peace that I usually found in this type of prayer was missing, I was getting more uptight and stressed, fighting my breathing and still repeating "Jesus, Give me strength". In the space of one breath to the next, my meditation changed from "Give me strength" to "Jesus",(breathe in) "My Strength" (beathe out).

An unbelievable wave of love, peace, calm and yes, strength flooded over me and the tears started to pour down my face as the burden and fear were washed away. It was like being a child again and held in the arms of the one you trusted and loved the most.

I learned an important lesson to ask, not demand and you will be given what you need to face the task ahead. This happened almost 5 years ago and it still makes me cry as I remember that feeling of peace and strength as God touched me when I allowed Him to do what he does so well: love his children despite our flaws.
Old Jul 30, '10, 2:14 pm

Religion: Catholic (convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithm29 View Post
Matthew's genealogy is intended to build the reader's faith in Jesus the Messiah. As you study this list of names, what about it helps to build up your faith in him.

It gives me faith in Gods acceptance of me . A sinner who struggles with the same sins day in and day out it seems . In His lineage there are several folks who sin over and over but turn a new leaf of repentance as He gives the grace to do so . I can lean on the throne and rely on Him to change me if I just stay there and keep yielding to His ways and training myself to think His thoughts

As a brand new Christian during my quiet time with the Lord , he sat with me and told me "Isaiah 43 ' . Thats it .. He would say no more . Well when I went and looked it up , I just cried ! How lovely is our God . Now skip forward 2 years .I had been struggling for some time with God over converting to Catholicism . He kept dragging me along and telling me to study the early church and I kept balking . Finally I gave in and started RCIA , making my fiance very happy indeed lol I had trouble not feeling "fed" with the "tiny short homilies " and had been praying for weeks "Lord I am starving here , teach me what is wrong !!" This was during mass and the next hymn was "Be not afraid " which not only says you will not starve or thirst to death , but is based on Isaiah 43 .. lol Blessed be the name of our God !

The above event "woke me from sleep " and I began to pray for guidance on how to feed myself . This has changed my life in huge ways . Provided I continue to study and apply the word then I have the joy of the Lord and am fed .. The joy of the Lord really does abide in us even if other not so lovely emotions are happening . I can be crying over something and still feel the joy of the Lord , and it truly is my strength .

Matthew says that Joseph (not Mary) named the child and that he knew the meaning of the name. Who named you, and why? What does your name mean to you? What does it mean to God?
My mom named me and I have no clue why . They were not church goers . My name in Hebrew means "bee" other than that it doesnt really mean much to me and who knows what it means to the Lord ? I know that the Deborah of scripture was a wise judge , and also very independent it seems to me .
Old Jul 30, '10, 2:16 pm

I have no clue how you quote the first post then answer then quote the next question . Can someone enlighten me ? Mine all ends up together and this post above now looks like I only answered the last question .. sigh ! LOOLOL please help me if you can . thanks !
Old Jul 30, '10, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post

I can share a very deeply moving prayer moment, one that taught me a lot more about prayer and God's compassion.

I cannot even remember what events were happening in my life (the following experience has overshadowed it completely) but it was one of extreme stress and deep fear and it concerned my family. I was in the church trying to find some answers using my favourite form of solitary prayer - centering prayer. (sitting relaxed, breathing in and out, finding the quiet place within you using a short phrase repeated over and over as you breathe).

I sat and began to breathe in, thinking "Jesus", breathing out, thinking "Give me strength". I have no idea how long I sat there, breathing and fighting the turmoil inside. The peace that I usually found in this type of prayer was missing, I was getting more uptight and stressed, fighting my breathing and still repeating "Jesus, Give me strength". In the space of one breath to the next, my meditation changed from "Give me strength" to "Jesus",(breathe in) "My Strength" (beathe out).

An unbelievable wave of love, peace, calm and yes, strength flooded over me and the tears started to pour down my face as the burden and fear were washed away. It was like being a child again and held in the arms of the one you trusted and loved the most.

I learned an important lesson to ask, not demand and you will be given what you need to face the task ahead. This happened almost 5 years ago and it still makes me cry as I remember that feeling of peace and strength as God touched me when I allowed Him to do what he does so well: love his children despite our flaws.
fab fab fab !! Thanks JDee for this lesson .. I will take it to heart !
Old Jul 31, '10, 3:32 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post

Thank you JDee for sharing that spiritual experience with us.
As I read it I found my own eyes watering.
Yes, Jesus is Lord. He hears, He cares.
Be blessed!
Old Jul 31, '10, 12:52 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
What is the importance of the detail that Joseph "woke from sleep" as he was considering his relationship with Mary.
This is a callback to Gen 2:21. As Adam awoke from his sleep he had a bride. His bride would bear the 'seed of the woman'. Same with Joseph.
Old Jul 31, '10, 1:17 pm

These questions are meant to be related to our personal lives- a way of "applying" the scriptures to our own experiences.
Old Jul 31, '10, 1:53 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
These questions are meant to be related to our personal lives- a way of "applying" the scriptures to our own experiences.
My bad. I got into marriage with my eyes open ;-)

Here is how it applies to my life.

There are some who say that only those types mentioned in the New Testament are real, since they are intended to be a complete list of types. I take them as examples, encouraging us to find others.

Likewise, since I am seeing that every detail in the OT narrative works into a prophetic picture of Christ, I am encouraged to look at every detail in my current situation to paint a picture of Christ.

When Jesus saw Zacchaeus, whose name means 'pure' but who represented sin being the chief tax collector, he saw a picture of himself bearing the sins of the world on a tree. He then actively and consciously participated in completing the picture by inviting himself to dinner, since when he came down from the cross he went to a banquet. Likewise I am encouraged to actively participate in the pictures or shadows of the cross around me.

So rather than looking for an allegorical application, I look for the sensus plenior application.

Quote:
As I see the detailed titles included in the genealogy I am reminded that God is God of all the details even though I am oblivious to his hand at work in them. I can have confidence that "all things work for the good of those called according to his purpose".

Quote:
I gave up an engineering career to share the gospel on the streets. I was married at the time, and he gave me confidence that He would take care of us even without an income.

Quote:
The sleep of Joseph is a type of death. He had to die to himself in the same way that Jesus did at Gethsemane. This is the call that we each have to put off the old man and put on the new man. 'Waking' from a Gethsemane experience is the difference between intellectually knowing Christ and walking with him.

Quote:
The sensus plenior suggests that Joseph understood the name of Jesus even more so than Mary.

My first name means 'bright son' in German and has a Hebrew pun meaning 'Hail great son' . My middle name means 'Christ bearer'.

I don't know who named me, but I am was named after an uncle and am thereby a 'second-son'. according to riddle. Whether the name influenced me or was prophetic I cannot say. But I live to share Christ.
Old Aug 2, '10, 2:49 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Matthew says that Joseph (not Mary) named the child and that he knew the meaning of the name. Who named you, and why? What does your name mean to you? What does it mean to God?[/quote]

This is an interesting question.
I have always assumed that I was named by my father . Both my parents are now deceased so there is no confirming the fact of the matter.
I was named after an older, respected member of my extended family, a common practice in this part of the world. The name, as far as I know, has no meaning outside the family, but within the family circle, it is a ' big' name and much is expected of it's recipient .
To me , my name also designates membership of a particular family, one I am very proud of and thank God for making me part of.
What does my name mean to God?
A lot ! I believe that God is an integral part of our lives
He is my Father in Heaven, I like to believe that He chose my name.
Yes, my name is God given.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Matthew's Gospel Study Group