Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 28, '10, 5:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What is a spiritual attack?

What is a spiritual attack exactly, what are the specific characteristics of one, how can one recognize one if one occurs, and under what circumstances is one likely to occur? Are there any official books or resources out there on this?
Old Jul 28, '10, 6:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: What is a spiritual attack?

Although possession is a separate (and yet related) condition, I encourage you to read An Exorcist Tells His Story and the follow-up book An Exorcist: More Stories by Vatican Exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth. But the book that would more directly answer your questions is Spiritual Warfare For Catholics by Fr. Jeffrey J. Steffon. All of these books are available on Amazon.com

Right now, I am not well equipped to describe this in detail, but I can tell you that you know that you are being subjected to spiritual attack when you feel an aversion to the sacraments, you have great difficulty praying, and when you experience terrible doubts (particularly about God, but also in other matters) that you feel is almost unshakable.

We all need to strengthen our spiritual armor, and that comprises of frequent reception of the sacraments, daily prayer, and the resolve to lead a virtuous life.
Old Jul 28, '10, 9:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoooiee View Post
What is a spiritual attack exactly, what are the specific characteristics of one, how can one recognize one if one occurs, and under what circumstances is one likely to occur? Are there any official books or resources out there on this?
It is likely to occur at times when God is present in powerful ways...Mass and Adoration...also during prayer but it is mostly during Mass and Adoration. The evil one tests you. He will make you doubt, make you scared, make you feel like you shouldn't be there, make you feel horrible. Sometimes I get it so bad I feel physical pain...my heart just hurts. I just can't feel like God is there but He is. Just make sure to pray often to strengthen your faith...and if you can do nothing else, tell Jesus you love Him even if it is hard.

-Jeanne

JMJ- TOTUS TUUS SUM MARIA -GOD BLESS YOU!!
Old Jul 29, '10, 4:54 am

Well, I am discerning a vocation as a Third Order Dominican, and lately I am very distracted in prayer and I am filled with overwhelming thoughts that I am being indulgent by spending time in prayer and study, that I shouldn't "need" to do these things, and that perhaps people who are too religious are judgmental extremists and it's better to be more moderate in one's faith.

I am also filled with doubt- that perhaps I would make a poor Dominican so I should just give up and just go to Mass on Sunday and that's it.

These thoughts don't feel "right" to me- they are accompanied by a tremendous sense of unrest.

I do have a very busy schedule and two young children, and part of my worry is that I will take too much time away from my (part-time) job and the care of my children to do things that are indulgent- however, all around me do report that the prayer and study do seem to improve the way I function.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 29, '10, 5:11 am

Go to your confessor and talk to him about it. He probably knows you better than most do, and can help you in the discernment process, and help you in defense against the Devil.
Old Jul 29, '10, 10:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoooiee View Post
Well, I am discerning a vocation as a Third Order Dominican, and lately I am very distracted in prayer and I am filled with overwhelming thoughts that I am being indulgent by spending time in prayer and study, that I shouldn't "need" to do these things, and that perhaps people who are too religious are judgmental extremists and it's better to be more moderate in one's faith.

I am also filled with doubt- that perhaps I would make a poor Dominican so I should just give up and just go to Mass on Sunday and that's it.

These thoughts don't feel "right" to me- they are accompanied by a tremendous sense of unrest.

I do have a very busy schedule and two young children, and part of my worry is that I will take too much time away from my (part-time) job and the care of my children to do things that are indulgent- however, all around me do report that the prayer and study do seem to improve the way I function.

Any thoughts?
I have just recently begun to attend daily Mass, which I know in my soul God wants me to do. Recently, I had very ugly dreams that could only be interpreted as retaliation by the evil one. The devil does everything he is permitted to do in order to separate us, distance ourselves from the love of God. What you are doing not only benefits your soul, but the souls of others, including your children. We all undergo tests of our faith. Please have peace in knowing that you are doing the right thing.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality