Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 28, '10, 8:08 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Default I want to be a trillionaire

Is there anything morally wrong with aspiring to be wealthy?
Cause that's what I want to be
Old Jul 28, '10, 8:30 pm
Banned

Religion: Old School
Default Re: I want to be a trillionaire

The love of money is the root of all evil.

If what you seek are blessings from God, however, then pray to God for wisdom, insight, and discernment to make the right decisions in your life according to God's commandments and teachings.

Dive deep into his written word - the Bible -- and read about what happens to people that place money and material possessions ahead of God. The first commandment expressly forbids idolatry -- and that includes worshiping money, material possessions, etc.

Everything that we have comes from God -- our family, all of our material possessions, our gifts and talents, etc. Place God first in your life, ahead of money and materialism.
Old Jul 28, '10, 8:35 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleguy180 View Post
How do you measure wealth?
I'm not sure that there is anything morally wrong with aspiring to be wealthy. I do know that the burden would then be how much of it would you be giving to charitible causes?
Um. Not sure how to interpret the words in your bible that mention it being easier for a camel to fit into the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God (paraphrasing)
Sorry I am not of much help here.
Hopefully you are a woman, and that verse no longer applies today.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Jul 28, '10, 8:38 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

I'd agree. It depends on WHY you want to be wealthy.

I'd have to say in general it's not a good thing. For example, let's say you have a good motive - 'I want to be wealthy so that I can do good with my money'. Is that really your motivation?

Mother Teresa did a powerful amount of good without being anywhere near wealthy herself, after all. Instead she relied on support and donations from others. And in doing so removed all the temptations that would've existed to misuse the money on luxuries for herself that she would've had if the wealth were her own.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jul 28, '10, 9:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Intrinsically? No. There is nothing with the desire to be wealthy, unless you have bad intentions with the money. As said above though, money can turn our attention from the true blessings in life. So even when you have good intentions, the devil will for sure be lurking close by with temptation.

-SBD
Old Jul 28, '10, 9:48 pm
Banned

Personally I think it is wrong.

Jesus said "No man can serve two masters, either he will love the one and hate the other. You cannot love both God and Mammon" Or words to that effect.

So we must devote ourselves to serve God and others. Sometimes God gives wealth to his servants and sometimes he does not. If he gives us wealth then we are content and grateful, and if he does not give us wealth then we are content and grateful. Either way we will have physical, spiritual, emotional desires and needs which we can petition God for.

If we have a look at Maslow's needs hierarchy we can get some insight into the motivations of men.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Needs.svg.png

This basically shows that men are never content. Naturally this model says nothing about God who can give us living water so that we never thirst.

So we need to scrap Maslows needs hierarchy and devote ourselves to serve God and others. God will provide all of our needs and desires if we patiently seek them. Besides, studies have shown that material possessions do not make us any happier. Certainly these days we are more prosperous than our parents were and yet suicide rates are at an all time high.

We all know that material possessions do not bring happiness, but somehow this does not stop us sparing no effort to become rich, even to the extent of neglecting and spurning God.

Here's a blog I really liked
"It’s a beautiful day here in Portland.

The sun is shining. The camellia and magnolia are in bloom. The cherries are resplendent in white and pink. The birds and squirrels frolic in the yard while the cats watch from afar. A hummingbird is flitting among the flowering quince. The air is filled with the scent of fresh-mown grass. A neighbor is blaring classic rock while he works on his car. Kris is at the picnic table reading a book. I am on the back porch answering e-mail. This evening we will join some friends at a dinner party.

I cannot wish for more in life.

Days like this are a reminder that true wealth is not about money. True wealth comes from happiness, from approaching the world with open eyes and an open mind, from learning to love what you have.

Be well, my friends, be well."

Good advice.

In fact the scriptures state something similar. It defines wealth as:

1 Tim 6 Godliness with contentment is great gain.

It then goes on to say:
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred [3] from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Wise advice from the apostle.
Old Jul 28, '10, 9:58 pm

Religion: Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
I'd agree. It depends on WHY you want to be wealthy.

I'd have to say in general it's not a good thing. For example, let's say you have a good motive - 'I want to be wealthy so that I can do good with my money'. Is that really your motivation?

Mother Teresa did a powerful amount of good without being anywhere near wealthy herself, after all. Instead she relied on support and donations from others. And in doing so removed all the temptations that would've existed to misuse the money on luxuries for herself that she would've had if the wealth were her own.
I want to be wealthy to do good in the world, as well as provide a good life for my children when I have them.
Old Jul 28, '10, 10:19 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I want to be wealthy to do good in the world, as well as provide a good life for my children when I have them.
You don't need to be a trillionaire to do either of those things, nor even especially wealthy. There are so many non-material goods that are far more important to a child's welfare and their quality of life than material affluence can ever be.

I speak as someone who grew up in a fairly well-off family. The knowledge that we would never seriously want for anything made most of us children somewhat lazy and uninclined to hard work. And someone who is unwilling to work hard on their own behalf also tends to be unwilling to work for the benefit of others.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jul 28, '10, 10:23 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (proud of it!)

Remember what Jesus said:

Quote:
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?
(Matthew 16:26).

I personally don't see anything wrong with wanting wealth. Just know how to use the money. In other words, don't be greedy and selfish. Be careful with if. Oftentimes, money will go to the head in a bad way.

http://www.fightfoca.com/

+JMJ+

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Old Jul 29, '10, 12:13 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Morally wrong? Probably not, but probably not wise if you want to want to raise your children well, and do good in the world. Excessive seeking of money will draw you away from other, valuable activities, things which might be necessary to bring happiness to your children and the world.

And, of course, there is the well known dictum, first written by Aristotle, and repeated through the ages: Virtue stands in the middle. Which is to say, in an applied way, moderation in all things. Your happiness, and that of others, may depend on balance in your life.

I guess I would have to ask, what is your real goal: to be rich or to help your children and the world?
Old Jul 29, '10, 6:14 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
OK, but what's a "good life"?

Lots of toys (even the expensive ones like cars when they turn 16)?

Better be careful what you wish for. Look at all the lottery winners; you hear stories all the time as to how they are miserable or burn through their $$ in a couple of years.

Better, methinks to want to be happy. You can do a lot of good with a modest amount of money in terms of generosity with your time and talents. Throwing money around may make you feel like you're dong "good", but there ways to do "better good" with little or no money.

However, if the Almighty blesses you with such riches, by all means use it well.
Old Jul 29, '10, 7:29 am

Quote:
I want to be wealthy to do good in the world...
Hi, bibleguy. You have a high goal: a trillionaire! Imagine the good works you can do with that amount of money!

The good news: there have been many good holy people who were wealthy and declared saints in our Church:

St. Margaret Clitheroe was of a wealthy family when she embraced martyrdom for her faith under the harsh anti-Catholic climate of Queen Elizabeth I.

St. Judith of Prussia was married to a wealthy young nobleman; she was generous with the poor, and was able to convince her husband to live more simply so that they could help others.

St. Pierre Toussaint, became wealthy as a hairdresser to the rich; he lived virtuously and helped orphans and cholera victims without fear.

St. Louis IX, king of France (1226-1270); he was a promoter of peace, he protected the clergy, he spent hours in prayer, penance and fasting. He also loved the poor and performed many works of charity, including feeding the needy, washing their feet, attending to lepers, and founding hospitals.

St. Thomas More, Lord Chancellor of England during Henry VIII's reign; definitely wealthy but was tried and found guilty of treason when he would not acknowledge King Henry's divorce.

St. Melania, inheriting her father's vast wealth, aided monasteries and churches in Egypt, Syria, Palestine, and Europe.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary, always used her resources to help the poor: she built a hospital and visited the inmates daily to attend to their wants, she personally attended hundreds of poor daily.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church forbids green and "the desire to amass earthly goods without limit." (CCC#2536)

Also from the Catechism:
2544 Jesus enjoins his disciples to prefer him to everything and everyone, and bids them "renounce all that [they have]" for his sake and that of the Gospel.
335 Shortly before his passion he gave them the example of the poor widow of Jerusalem who, out of her poverty, gave all that she had to live on.
336 The precept of detachment from riches is obligatory for entrance into the Kingdom of heaven.
2545 All Christ's faithful are to "direct their affections rightly, lest they be hindered in their pursuit of perfect charity by the use of worldly things and by an adherence to riches which is contrary to the spirit of evangelical poverty."
2450 "You shall not steal" (Ex 20:15; Deut 5:19). "Neither thieves, nor the greedy . . ., nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 6:10).

The wealthy saints lived holy lives because their lives were dedicated to God and His people. If we use our wealth and our talents to further the work and love of Christ, we are on the right road. The more wealthy people are, the more vigilant they have to be, to remain detached and generous. And even those who aren't wealthy can have unhealthy attachments to what they have, and envy for what they don't.
Old Jul 29, '10, 9:46 am

I have been thinking about this for a while.

The problem with being wealthy, or aspiring to be wealthy, is that you become more and more reliant on yourself and your abilities, and less on the Lord. I think that was the insight that Jesus was trying to impart.

Sure, you can give away half of your net worth and fund malaria-eradication efforts in the third world or feed the people of an entire village or something else altruistic, but deep down, it's really hard to be humble when you are able to create that kind of cash flow.

Someone who is that focused on creating wealth could have a hard time getting down on their knees and declaring it all unimportant before the Lord.
Old Jul 29, '10, 9:49 am

Quote:
You can do both good in the world, as well as provide a good life for your children when you have them without being a trillionaire. I would even think being that rich may be more of a burden than you have given any consideration to.

This wouldn't have anything to do with that silly pop song that is on heavy rotation on the radio right now, would it?
Old Jul 29, '10, 10:57 am
Forum Elder

Well, it reminds me of this foul mouthed comedian who posed this question to billionnaires looking to make their second billion: "What are you going to do with it? Start your own space program?"

Tom Monaghan, owner of Domino's Pizza, said he plans on being broke by the end of his life. He has done much for the Church.

Suffering is a part of life, and necessary for our refinement. At the end of your days, you will have only family and friends - and their love. You will then face the judgement.

One very big problem occurs among "trust fund kids" who are simply given the money they need to go to the best colleges and/or to start a business. Young people who have not endured hardship and felt what it means, are sometimes not fully equipped to deal with this responsibly and effectively. I'm not saying they can't, but the learning curve of life never goes away.

Everyone wants to do what's right with their family. I grew up in a lower middle-class neighborhood and I saw something I don't see too often today -- people were content with what they had. Sure, they would have welcomed more but they did the best they could with what they had.

God bless,
Ed

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology