Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 29, '10, 4:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Midwest Conference with Tim Staples

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

Under a suggestion from a moderator, I am posting this here, as well as in the Apologetics Forum. Our Midwest ministry, Apologetics from Scratch (www.apologeticsfromscratch.org) is hosting its first annual Apologetics Boot Camp on November 6th (Saturday), 2010, from 9:00 in the morning until 6:00, with Mass concluding the day. This will take place in Jefferson City, MO. If you are interested in attending, click "events" at the homepage. There is a $5 discount for early registration with the coupon code "staples". Cost includes lunch. I would love to see some of you there, helping us to live out the words of Eph. 6: 10-16, from which the conference takes its name.

Tim's keynote talks:
-Jimmy Swaggart Made Me Catholic
-How is Man Saved: Catholic Teaching on Justification
-The Eucharist: God's Extravegant Love Revealed

In addition to the keynote talks, there will be two "training sessions", where participants will be able to select from several topics, in which apologists from our ministry will instruct how to dig into Scripture, logic, etc. to defend an explain various topics:

Evangelizing to Atheists - Jonathan Weyer, founder of The Thomas Society - a ministry atheists
Very Bad Baseball – Why Christians Can’t Go By Scripture Alone – Spencer Allen - president of Apologetics from Scratch, Inc.
Evangelizing to friends and family – Kimie Bax
Explaining and Defending the Teaching of “No Salvation Outside the Church” – Fr. Dylan Schrader
Preparing to Defend Your Faith in College – Tim Staples
Sacrament of Confession – Spencer Allen
Avoiding Logical Fallacies when Defending the Faith – Fr. Joseph Shetler
How the Catholic Teachings on Suffering Led Me Into the Church – Sarah Ann Denson
Defending the Church's Teachings on Mary - Ed Galbraith
Purgatory - Scott Mertens

A book store and other Catholic resources will be on hand. In addition, there will opporunities for confession.

On another note, my regular column in the Catholic Missourian will now appear periodically on a trial basis in the Catholic San Francisco, for those of you in that area.

Hope to see some of you there. E-mail me through the "contact us" option if you desire fliers. Or reply here if you want more information. In the next post, I'll put bios of speakers.
Old Jul 29, '10, 4:12 pm

Default Re: Midwest Conference with Tim Staples

Here are bios from most of our speakers. We still have three left to be submitted, including that of an Episcopalian priest whose family recently converted.

Tim Staples was raised a Southern Baptist. Although he fell away from the faith of his childhood, Tim came back to faith in Christ during his late teen years through the witness of Christian televangelists. Soon after, Tim joined the Marine Corps. During his four-year tour, he became involved in ministry with various Assemblies of God communities. Immediately after his tour of duty, Tim enrolled in Jimmy Swaggart Bible College and became a youth minister in an Assembly of God community. During his final year in the Marines, however, Tim met a Marine who really knew his faith and challenged Tim to study Catholicism from Catholic and historical sources. That encounter sparked a two-year search for the truth. Tim was determined to prove Catholicism wrong, but he ended up studying his way to the last place he thought he would ever end up: the Catholic Church! He converted to Catholicism in 1988 and spent the following six years in formation for the priesthood, earning a degree in philosophy from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Overbrook, Pennsylvania. He then studied theology on a graduate level at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary in Emmitsburg, Maryland, for two years. Realizing that his calling was not to the priesthood, Tim left the seminary in 1994 and has been working in Catholic apologetics and evangelization ever since.

Spencer Allen is principal of the Cathedral of St. Joseph School in Jefferson City and president of the ministry Apologetics From Scratch (www.apologeticsfromscratch.org). Rescued from atheism through God’s grace, he now helps others to explain and defend the teachings of Christ and his Church. He may be reached by e-mail at [email protected]. He lives in Jefferson City with his wife and three kids.

Fr. Joseph L. Shetler is a priest of the Diocese of Jefferson City and the pastor of Saint Mary Church in Glasgow and Saint Joseph Church in Slater. He grew up in Houston, Texas and studied at the University of Texas at Austin, Conception Seminary College, and at the Gregorian and Angelicum universities in Rome. His mother works at the Johnson Space Center in Houston and his brother is a pilot in the Navy, married, with their first child on the way.

Father Dylan Schrader is a priest of the Diocese of Jefferson City and currently the associate pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Columbia. He grew up in Hannibal and studied at St Thomas Aquinas Preparatory Seminary, Conception Seminary College, and Kenrick Theological Seminary. His parents now live in Fulton as does his brother Dakota.

Sara Ann Denson debated Calvanism with her uncles, a lawyer and seminarian, at the age of nine. She attended two different Christian colleges in hopes of devouring all there was to learn about God, but it only led to 40K in student debt -- no closer to God. Many people counceled her to just let go and let God, just let God love you. But her question became, "How can I have a personal relationship with God, if I don't know Him? Isn't the purpose of believing in Christ, the desire to get to know Him?" Finally, after diving into Jewish philosophy and Catholic teaching, she finally felt as if she had met God, the real God. She has been in the Catholic Church several years now and still feels like she has just fallen in love with God.

Jonathan Weyer is the founder of The Thomas Society, a ministry dedicated to answering questions from doubters, agnostics and atheists. Along with the atheists at Ohio State, he won a Multicultural Award from the university. Because of his work with atheists, the Secular Student Alliance added him to their speaker's bureau. He has written a novel called, "The Faithful" about a minister's crisis of faith told through a ghost story that was released on October 1. Jonathan lives in Columbus, Ohio with his wife, three kids and a crazy cat.

Kimie Bax is a wife, mother of 4 sons, and convert to our faith. Although she was received into the Church in 1989, she struggled with being Catholic until she received God’s grace through a prayer for truth almost 10 years later. Today, she fully embraces the Church and faith Jesus Christ began over 2000 years ago and strives to serve Him by sharing His truth with anyone who will listen.
Old Sep 2, '10, 4:00 am
Banned

Religion: Glad To Be A Seventh-Day Adventist
Question Re: Midwest Conference with Tim Staples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awful Things View Post
Today, she fully embraces the Church and faith Jesus Christ began over 2000 years ago and strives to serve Him by sharing His truth with anyone who will listen.
I don't get it. Why is this topic called "Awful Things?"
Old Sep 2, '10, 4:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protestant101 View Post
I don't get it. Why is this topic called "Awful Things?"
It's not. That's my screen name. I keep it as a throw back to when I used to write horror semi-professionally, before a more complete conversion (long story). Awful Things was the name of my website. I also enjoy that people assume I am an athiests or a troll of some sort when the see the name, despite the facts that my posts are (or attempt to be) orthodox Catholicism.

I've thought of changing it, but it is connected with several years of posting on here. Though I'm listed as a "junior member", I was a senior member under Awfulthings9.
Old Sep 2, '10, 10:55 am
Banned

Quote:
It's not. That's my screen name. I keep it as a throw back to when I used to write horror semi-professionally, before a more complete conversion (long story). Awful Things was the name of my website. I also enjoy that people assume I am an athiests or a troll of some sort when the see the name, despite the facts that my posts are (or attempt to be) orthodox Catholicism.

I've thought of changing it, but it is connected with several years of posting on here. Though I'm listed as a "junior member", I was a senior member under Awfulthings9.
LOL, thanks! My mistake! I was tired from a long night shift!
Old Oct 18, '10, 5:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: Midwest Conference with Tim Staples

I am so excited for Apologetics Boot Camp! A group from my university will be going to Jefferson City to attend. I love being Catholic and I love learning more about how to explain and defend my faith to others. Thanks for posting this thread, God bless!
Old Oct 18, '10, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg3528 View Post
I am so excited for Apologetics Boot Camp! A group from my university will be going to Jefferson City to attend. I love being Catholic and I love learning more about how to explain and defend my faith to others. Thanks for posting this thread, God bless!
It will be great to have you there? Has your group registered online yet?
Old Oct 23, '10, 6:01 pm
Banned

Wink Re: Midwest Conference with Tim Staples

Are Protestants allowed to come to this? It would be nice to see what your Battle Plans are...
Old Oct 24, '10, 6:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protestant101 View Post
Are Protestants allowed to come to this? It would be nice to see what your Battle Plans are...
Of course. We're trying to be very Protestant friendly, incorporating some "neutral" topics, such as "evangelizing to athiests". That speaker actually is a Protestant friend of mine. Tim Staples is also very respectful of Protestantism and appreciative of his Protestant background.
Old Oct 28, '10, 6:24 pm

Quote:
It will be great to have you there? Has your group registered online yet?
We are registering individually. We're just bringing a small group. I believe about 5 of us have registered and we're expecting 2 or 3 more.
Old Oct 29, '10, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg3528 View Post
We are registering individually. We're just bringing a small group. I believe about 5 of us have registered and we're expecting 2 or 3 more.
Good deal. See you then!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)