Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 5, '05, 10:50 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default good news from an anti-C

04 April

Insight Into the Roman Catholic Mind

The posting of my sermon from yesterday (here in Real Audio, but it is on our mp3 page as well) has generated an incredible response, both positively and negatively. Combined with the blog entries over the past few days, our incoming e-mail has been hot and heavy. But so also have been the Roman Catholic web boards. While Steve Ray shut his down, the Catholic Answers forums and those at Envoy Magazine remain open. It is indeed a fascinating contrast to compare what I have written and said over the past few days (and will discuss tomorrow on the DL, inviting all of these Roman Catholics who are so very...vocal...on web boards to call and explain their accusations directly to me) with the responses I have garnered. While I have focused upon the gospel, my detractors have focused upon...me, of course. While hardly one of them has ever met me, and are doing nothing but repeating unfounded rumors, they are certain that their ad-hominem just must be true. How else can you explain someone who has been so consistent over the years? While John Paul II's consistency in his beliefs indicates he was great, my consistency indicates I am arrogant. While John Paul's focus upon Mary means he is spiritual, my focus upon the gospel means I'm hard-hearted. Well, you just can't win for trying, I guess.
Here's an example from the Catholic Answers forums from a "Catholic Dude":
I dont understand your deep rooted hatred for the pope in such hours of pain and suffering? There will come a time when your on your death bed, is the pope going to laugh at you, and trash you like you do? When your wife or kids is suffering are Catholic papers going to smile, the way you do at such suffering?
The pope speaks to the world, and has done what he could to promote peace. The Catholic Church is the ONLY church screaming about abortion, and the Pope made that very clear it is one of the gravest evils of our time. Do you guys care? NO! Go and clap your hands while the True Church is feeding the hungry, giving housing, schools, running orphanages, disaster reliefe, etc. YOU HAVE DONE ZERO TO PROMOTE THE GOSPEL. GREED IS ALL YOU KNOW. All you do is run a company to make money for yourself, all in the name of Jesus. Your nothing but a buisiness man selling your version of Chirstianity, you have no history, no respect. In the end you have no future.
Who stood up for Terri? THE CATHOLICS, to you Prots she was a nothing, you prots didnt care. You Prots are destroying Christianity, every day more and more divisions, look at you how old is your made up self appointed excuse for a church. Read this to your congregation to show how evil us Catholics are, I dare you, read the whole thing in front of them. Highlight the part about spreading the Gospel to the poor, and you spreading the wealth to your pocketbook.
In the end who are you...your a nobody, no voice, you will be forgotten. Catholics are the ONLY group who respect life and stand up for it.
Is it worth even trying to reason with someone like this? Probably not. But it is educational to consider the mindset of such a person. I speak of the gospel and objective beliefs. What does he "hear"? He hears hatred (see the deep influence of postmodernism?). But, he doesn't see that in fact he is the one expressing hatred (i.e., about my "death bed"). He thinks I am "smiling" at the Pope's death...but any semi-fair minded person who has read this blog knows there is no reason to do so. So where does this kind of outlandish thinking come from? This person's touch with reality itself seems very tenuous, and perhaps the emotions associated with the Pope's death have pushed him even farther away from reality? He says only Rome protests abortion, and only Rome feeds the poor, and only Rome was concerned about Schiavo, etc. Again, rational folks can see how far from the truth this person is. Of course, he then throws in the obligatory accusations of money-making (I'm sure he is unaware that the massive edifice we all watched on television, St. Peter's basilica, was bought and paid for with the money of poor peasants in many nations buying indulgences to release their loved ones from the mythical sufferings of purgatory---he who defends a church that has been paying millions out in damages for paedophile priests should be just a tad slower to make accusations against a ministry that has a long track record of faithfulness in making a penny scream before it parts our fingers). "Catholic Dude" may be passionate, but his connection to truth, reality, or any form of logic, is nonexistent. Very sad indeed.
-James W.
Old Apr 5, '05, 10:59 pm

Default Re: good news from an anti-C

Nice goin' Dude! It's okay for him to bash us but if we really rerpond...we're bad boys and girls. I'm surprised that you bothered, but hey...at least ya gave it a shot.

"The takers get the honey. Givers sing the blues.'
Robin Trower
Old Apr 5, '05, 10:59 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Wow he is quite the personality,huh?
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:01 pm

Well I lost the old quotes I had so I cant show what he originally said about the pope. (does anyone know where they are?)
From his reply it looks like he didnt understand what I was saying, I dont think he was avoiding it.

Quote:
I speak of the gospel and objective beliefs.
Ha Ha.

Quote:
He says only Rome protests abortion, and only Rome feeds the poor, and only Rome was concerned about Schiavo, etc.
Yes sir. Just look around! He talks about the Gospel? "What ever you do to the least of my bretheren you do to me" Thats why I stay Catholic, because they are the only ones who do those things. The other guys cant comprehend such success.

Quote:
Of course, he then throws in the obligatory accusations of money-making (I'm sure he is unaware that the massive edifice we all watched on television, St. Peter's basilica, was bought and paid for with the money of poor peasants in many nations buying indulgences to release their loved ones from the mythical sufferings of purgatory---he who defends a church that has been paying millions out in damages for paedophile priests should be just a tad slower to make accusations against a ministry that has a long track record of faithfulness in making a penny scream before it parts our fingers).
There is so much to say here I would have to have a guaranteed response to even use my time replying.
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:09 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

I have to say that you hit some buttons CD

But personally, I am creeped out that someone like James White is trolling this forum looking for quotes to turn against the Church on his vitriolic website. Yuck!!! It's like finding out that Jack Chick moved into the house next door.
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Dude
Well I lost the old quotes I had so I cant show what he originally said about the pope. (does anyone know where they are?)
The links are in this post:

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....00&postcount=2

did a quick search on "deep rooted hatred"
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:13 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

But personally, I am creeped out that someone like James White is trolling this forum looking for quotes to turn against the Church on his vitriolic website. Yuck!!! It's like finding out that Jack Chick moved into the house next door.

Old Apr 5, '05, 11:16 pm

I'm surprised that James White knows any words big enough to read the CCC...

"The takers get the honey. Givers sing the blues.'
Robin Trower
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:34 pm

Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity

Okay, this is good. You see how he thinks. You see just HOW he perceives us & set's up his straw men. I think I can say with a clear conscience, that we should all pray for this man, that he may understand Catholocism. He really needs the charity. May he become as much a member of the Catholic Church as St. Paul, even if God needs to get all Acts 9:4 on him.
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
Old Apr 6, '05, 1:45 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo

Quote:
While Steve Ray shut his down, the Catholic Answers forums and those at Envoy Magazine remain open.
I checked Steve Ray's forum and it's still open. What's he even saying it shut down?

Old Apr 6, '05, 1:52 am

Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo
I checked Steve Ray's forum and it's still open. What's he even saying it shut down?
Maybe it was down at the time he was writting. Sometimes that happens. OR, maybe he just didn't want people to go there.
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
Old Apr 6, '05, 3:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Steve Ray did shut sown his forum for the weekend as aperiod o mourning for the Holy Father. It reopened at 11:00 PM on Monday.

Peace,
Linda
Old Apr 6, '05, 4:00 am

Religion: Protestant

"I'm surprised that James White knows any words big enough to read the CCC..."

Is this supposed to be speaking the truth in love? It seems more like ad hominem. If you have a problem with James White refute his arguments...simply insinuating he's dumb is very pointless.
Old Apr 6, '05, 4:01 am
Banned

James said he just sticks to the gospel truth and not ad hoc attacks yet he follows that thought with the middle ages indulgences card and of course the pedophile priest card.
I mean is there no end to how low he will go to trump catholcism because he can't do it through scholarly means.
Old Apr 6, '05, 4:35 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

CD,
I have a lot of respect for you and what you wrote. You really TRIED to be charitable about explaining the Truth, but a shor-minded man blew if off over his head and stayed on his course.

I am sure James W. has misinterpeted 1 Timothy 3:15 by saying something that HE is the Church and bulwark of the Truth....Argh!

If he could trace his Church back to its founding, he'd only have to go back to HIS Birth Certificate! I feel sorry for him...one day he will see the light.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics