Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 3, '10, 6:59 pm

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)
Default University student confused about the Catholic faith

Hi everyone,

I was born and brought up Catholic, but within the past year have become "confused" about the faith. I've only really gotten into all this the past few years, in spite of having parents who aren't well catechized and thus didn't catechize their kids well (they aren't much help on these kinds of things at all). Last September I started my first year of university, and in the first week met and subsequently became close friends with a Protestant who raised questions I haven't been able to satisfactorily answer for myself. Being at a secular school was a new experience for me--I'd grown up in the Canadian Catholic system--and anytime a Christian and I clicked I wasn't about to throw away the opportunity to get close to someone who understood where I was coming from on moral issues like chastity and with whom I could share my faith.

I don't consider myself Catholic at this point, but am still doing research into my questions--the role of tradition, papal infallibility, salvation by faith alone or faith plus works, the immaculate conception/assumption/etc. of Mary, and praying to her and the saints are the main issues. I mean, I want to make sure that if the Catholic Church is what it claims it is, I get back there yesterday. Over the past ten months I've been to various non-Catholic churches--Lutheran, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, and Baptist--and have been doing research on them from time to time; none of them seemed a good match. Either way, I've made sure not to take their communion--or, for that matter, the eucharist when I've gone to Mass, because I see no reason to compound my sin (if my having left the Catholic Church is mortal) by taking it unworthily. There are various things about these different denominations that I like--in particular, the long sermons and the inspiring singing--but definitely things that I disagree with. I definitely feel out of place at a Pentecostal service with their over-emphasis on gifts of the spirit/charisms, think the double predestination of Presbyterianism is erronious, and don't view baptism or communion as merely symbolic as do Baptists.

All of this has been causing me a lot of anguish the past several months; I want to know the truth, have been reading online material and watching YouTube videos, and be where God wants me to be. If for some reason I die before the Holy Spirit helps me "figure things out"... will I go to hell... because I once was but no longer am a member of the Catholic Church? If out of my own myopia, pride, ignorance, or folly, I don't "jump back in" before I die--let's say in a car accident--what's going to happen?

Thanks for any input,
T.
Old Aug 3, '10, 7:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: University student confused about the Catholic faith

Welcome! I'm a fourth year university student and came from the same sort of background (from western Canada). University can definitely be a time where faith can become confusing but usually that has to do with not knowing what exactly you believe in.

Maybe we can help you out here. You've listed a bunch of beliefs, and some of them you can read about in Catholic Answers faith tracts, but maybe we can help you understand them if you can tell us why you are unsure.

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8
Old Aug 3, '10, 7:25 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Typical - Catholic students who cannot defend their faith. I have proposed that apologetics be part of Catholic curricluum for a long time.

Start Here

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 7:28 pm
Forum Elder

Oh and how do we know the Catholic Church is the true church?

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycool89 View Post
Welcome! I'm a fourth year university student and came from the same sort of background (from western Canada). University can definitely be a time where faith can become confusing but usually that has to do with not knowing what exactly you believe in.

Maybe we can help you out here. You've listed a bunch of beliefs, and some of them you can read about in Catholic Answers faith tracts, but maybe we can help you understand them if you can tell us why you are unsure.
Thanks for the welcome. I guess I should have made myself clearer: what really concerns me is the question, "What if I die before this all (I hope) clicks and I go back to being Catholic? I mean, leaving is a mortal sin, and those with mortal sin on their soul go to hell... Is there some kind of 'get out of jail free' card for people in the situation I've described?"

I don't expect to be spoon-fed answers to my questions--we have Google for a reason. But since you asked... one of the things that troubles me is the emphasis on Mary. I agree she was the mother of God in the sense that she brought Jesus, with both a divine and human nature, into the world. I don't think that praying to her for intercession itself is wrong or constitutes "worship". But this YouTube debate I found here (please remove the spaces)--

http :// www. youtube. com/ watch?v=tClS31hNmII

--really got me thinking. The non-Catholic guy made some seemingly valid points, and I should watch the debate again and make note of what they were.
Old Aug 3, '10, 8:05 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I guess I should have made myself clearer: what really concerns me is the question, "What if I die before this all (I hope) clicks and I go back to being Catholic? I mean, leaving is a mortal sin, and those with mortal sin on their soul go to hell... Is there some kind of 'get out of jail free' card for people in the situation I've described?"

I don't expect to be spoon-fed answers to my questions--we have Google for a reason. But since you asked... one of the things that troubles me is the emphasis on Mary. I agree she was the mother of God in the sense that she brought Jesus, with both a divine and human nature, into the world. I don't think that praying to her for intercession itself is wrong or constitutes "worship". But this YouTube debate I found here (please remove the spaces)--

--really got me thinking. The non-Catholic guy made some seemingly valid points, and I should watch the debate again and make note of what they were.
And check his website out.

Dr Mark Miravalle: The Meaning of Coredemptrix

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Typical - Catholic students who cannot defend their faith. I have proposed that apologetics be part of Catholic curricluum for a long time.

Start Here

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to take a look at it shortly.

And I'm not exactly proud to have finally admitted defeat (at least temporarily) either. It wasn't for lack of trying--I didn't give up that easily. It definitely showed me the flaws in the Catholic curriculum; when I raised the issue of why so few students seem to graduate as practicing Catholics with my school chaplain, she said, "Part of the problem is that the parents don't emphasize it either." It just seems like a vicious circle--no one appears immune from living in a secular culture like that in Canada.

When I pointed out the passage where Jesus said, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church" to my friend, she wanted to know how you got papal infallibility out of that. The only thing that comes to mind now is the "What you bind on Earth will be bound in heaven" passage, but papal infallibility--the establishment of an office with this charism--doesn't seem to follow from that either. There must be some logical explanation for all this, and I hope that I'll find an answer in one of the links posted in this thread.
Old Aug 3, '10, 8:09 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

And I'm not exactly proud to have finally admitted defeat (at least temporarily) either. It wasn't for lack of trying--I didn't give up that easily. It definitely showed me the flaws in the Catholic curriculum; when I raised the issue of why so few students seem to graduate as practicing Catholics with my school chaplain, she said, "Part of the problem is that the parents don't emphasize it either." It just seems like a vicious circle--no one appears immune from living in a secular culture like that in Canada.

When I pointed out the passage where Jesus said, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church" to my friend, she wanted to know how you got papal infallibility out of that. The only thing that comes to mind now is the "What you bind on Earth will be bound in heaven" passage, but papal infallibility--the establishment of an office with this charism--doesn't seem to follow from that either. There must be some logical explanation for all this, and I hope that I'll find an answer in one of the links posted in this thread.

Papacy/infallibility
Mt 10:1-4; Mk 3:16-19; Lk 6:14-16; Acts 1:13; Lk 9:32 ... Peter always mentioned first, as foremost apostle.
Mt 18:21; Mk 8:29; Lk 12:41; Jn 6:69 ... Peter speaks for the apostles.
Acts 2:14-40 ... Pentecost: Peter who first preached.
Acts 3:6-7 ... Peter worked first healing.
Acts 10:46-48 ... Gentiles to be baptized revealed to Peter.
Jn 1:42 ... Simon is Cephas (Aramaic: Kepha for rock).
Mt 16:18-19 ... "on this Rock ... keys ... bind ... loose"
Is 22:22; Rev 1:18 ... keys as symbol of authority.
Jn 21:17 ... "feed my sheep"
Lk 22:31-32 ... "Simon ... strengthen your brethren".
Lk 10:1-2, 16; Jn 13:20; 2 Cor 5:20; Gal 4:14; Acts 5:1-5 ... "vicars" (substitutes) of Christ.
Mk 6:20; Lk 1:70,2:23; Rom 12:1; Act 3:21, 1 Cor 7:14; Eph 3:5; Col 1:22 ... humans can be holy ("call no one holy").

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 8:10 pm
Forum Elder

You can also use the Catholic Catechism

Search on a word. You can see the relevant passages and the footnotes will tell you where it all came from.

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 8:20 pm
Forum Elder

Two-Minute Apologetics

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 8:24 pm

Quote:

Start Here
It is sad. My wife had 12 years Catholic school and she is very confused about the chuch and only learned some things from me years later. They are good at telling them what not to do (like cross your legs or wear make up) but not the depth of the faith.

Of course the fact that the nun who was a principle at her grade school got dismissed for theft and a priest at her high school was dismissed for having an affair with a male student, coupled with th lack of valuable teaching has her in somewhat skeptical too often.
Old Aug 3, '10, 8:25 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab75 View Post
It is sad. My wife had 12 years Catholic school and she is very confused about the chuch and only learned some things from me years later. They are good at telling them what not to do (like cross your legs or wear make up) but not the depth of the faith.

Of course the fact that the nun who was a principle at her grade school got dismissed for theft and a priest at her high school was dismissed for having an affair with a male student, coupled with th lack of valuable teaching has her in somewhat skeptical too often.
no hijacking now.......

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 3, '10, 8:35 pm

Quote:

Pray for God to help you understand the full ness of truth. Is there a Neumann center at your university or a Priest you can discuss with. The truth is no one can sufficiently answer your question regarding your salvation. I would like to think if you trust in him and work toward understanding the church as you migrate back you are fine.

It doesn't seem like you are resisting because of pride, rather confussion and lack of faith. Many people have asked and answered these questions.

I would say for me, I put the burden of proof on non catholcs simply because the early Fathers taught much closer to catholic theology, and you really would need to accept that Jesus allowed his church to be hijacked for at least 1000 years without any alternative.
Old Aug 3, '10, 8:37 pm

Quote:
no hijacking now.......
Sorry
Old Aug 3, '10, 8:43 pm

Quote:
no hijacking now.......
Quote:

The links on this sight are good for papal infallibility, especially understanding what it is and more importantly what it isn't.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology