Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '05, 10:21 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Apparently a group of atheist are angry about the flag being half staff for the Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa4Catholics
O'Reilly said that a group are protesting the lowering of the flag in honor of the Pope Even the ACLU won't touch this one Their angst never ceases to amaze me.
yep, their angst is truly amazing.
Old Apr 6, '05, 10:23 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Default Re: Apparently a group of atheist are angry about the flag being half staff for the P

Ask me if I care since we do it for lots of heads of state. They may be a minority...but so are we.

Old Apr 6, '05, 10:36 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Apparently a group of atheist are angry about the flag being half staff for the P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant
Ask me if I care since we do it for lots of heads of state. They may be a minority...but so are we.
well said!
Old Apr 7, '05, 5:26 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Post Re: Apparently a group of atheist are angry about the flag being half staff for the P

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiaphrodite
well said!
Ask me if I care if they are upset.......................I could careless!!!! They ripped prayer out of schools, removed beautiful Christmas decorations because they are offended, want to control every move we make.....As far as I am concerned they can scream and get as upset as they want. Again do we care???.............................NO
Old Apr 7, '05, 6:14 am

I bet they are mad about the Declaration of Independence too. It says, "We hold these truths self-evident that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights such as life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness."

That's really gotta peeve them. Especially since they are pretty much saying in there atheism that nobody has any rights.
the shadows will fall behind.

Tempus fugit memento mori
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:05 am

Default Re: Apparently a group of atheist are angry about the flag being half staff for the Pope

Honestly folks, we forget ourselves. It angers me too. However, the most humbling thought for me is that even the most hateful, rebellious atheist is a child of God, and God loves that person as much as He loves me or any of us. And, if that person repents on his death bed, he may ultimately receive the same reward as the most pious of us. Some of the comments here remind me of how the older son acted when his Prodigal brother returned home.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:18 am
Account Under Review
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Like a baby, O'Reilly is always whining about something.

His whole existence revolves around setting forth someone's outrageous idea and then he knocks it down. There are over 250 million people in this country and there is plenty to whine about for people who choose to focus on the negative.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:23 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Honestly folks, we forget ourselves. It angers me too. However, the most humbling thought for me is that even the most hateful, rebellious atheist is a child of God, and God loves that person as much as He loves me or any of us. And, if that person repents on his death bed, he may ultimately receive the same reward as the most pious of us. Some of the comments here remind me of how the older son acted when his Prodigal brother returned home.

Thank you for your reminder--all together now:

"Hate the sin, love the sinner".

Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

O My God, I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all good and worthy of all my love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:26 am

So it is okay for Bill O'Reilly to regularly attack the Pope, the Church and the faith, but other Americans are not supposed to have that same right? Interesting.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:32 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
So it is okay for Bill O'Reilly to regularly attack the Pope, the Church and the faith, but other Americans are not supposed to have that same right? Interesting.
I think that we as Catholics are called to a higher standard.
Yes, there are certainly times when we need to "attack", in order to defend our faith, for example. . .or to counter a previous attack. . .

But for the most part I think our best witness is a consistent and constant charity, especially to those who attack us unfairly. Heaven knows this is difficult, but we pray, in Jesus' own words, 'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'.

Our Holy Father John Paul the Great understood this well, better than most in fact, and epitomized and modeled this behavior all his life, God bless him.

When I find myself most exasperated with those, like this atheist group, who viciously attack God Himself, I must still find within myself the grace to forgive them and to LOVE THEM, as they are children of God, and Jesus died for them, too.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:47 am

Tantum,

I agree...I suppose my greatest challenge is with people like Bill O'Reilly, who claim to be Catholic while they bash the Pope, the Church and the faith. It is a sense that we have a great many trojan horses within our own house. At least atheists are not in the same Catholic family to which we belong, we expect to hear grief from them.
Old Apr 7, '05, 8:34 am

What are the atheists so angry about? According to them, our government is respecting something that is a fantasy. I don't see them trying to debunk Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny. Could it be because they know deep down that God is real and don't want people to recognize Him?

Sheen put it best when he said, "Atheism isn't a belief, it's a cry of wrath."
Old Apr 7, '05, 9:30 am

I wouldnt say their angry about the flag being put at half mast, but that the fact that it isnt kept at half mast forever. And eventually taken down alltogether.

Also Bill O is nothing but a sellout, hes nothing. I stopped listening to that guy when he stated selling doormats on the radio. Hes a nothing and he knows it.
Old Apr 7, '05, 10:17 am

I'm not surprised and to tell the truth, I really don't care if they're upset. I sometimes think atheists won't be happy unless religion is banned, churches are burned to the ground and priests are executed. They can kiss my you-know-what.
Old Apr 7, '05, 7:28 pm
Banned

The pope would say, Salvation is possible for an Athiest but for those who made a God of money or things. They will be mad when they die and God sends them straight to hell.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005