Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 8, '05, 2:44 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic--returned 11/2008 Formerly LDS
Send a message via Yahoo to flameburns623
Default Mormon Reaction to the death of John Paul II

Here are a few thoughts from one LDS writer:

http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/050408miss.html

Why I Miss Karol Wojtyla

To Catholics, the passing of John Paul II meant they lost one Pope — a beloved and popular one. But they know that they will soon have another. There is a long (and complicated) chain of succession going back to the early days of Christianity, and that sense of continuity will sustain them.
One Pope is gone, but Mother Church continues.

But I’m not a Catholic. According to my beliefs, the office of Pope holds no particular authority; I have no stake in the succession; Pope John Paul II was never the leader of my church.

And yet ... I find that I mourn him and miss him.

Death Is No Tragedy

These feelings are not because of his fame or his common touch. He is not Princess Di, a celebrity we liked who died tragically young.

He died as a very old man, after a lifetime of real achievement. How can we grieve for a long life well-lived?

Yet I find, to my surprise, that his death moves me the way I was moved by the deaths of Anwar Sadat and Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Winston Churchill. I realized, with his passing, that he was a hero of mine. That I felt better and safer about the world because he was in it, and I feel that we are just a little worse off, in a little more danger, because he’s gone.

It is worthwhile to note also that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held it's semi-annual convention the same weekend that His Holiness passed away, and that there were expressions of sympathy from the LDS First Presidency on the news.
Old Apr 8, '05, 2:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mormon Reaction to the death of John Paul II

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameburns623
It is worthwhile to note also that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held it's semi-annual convention the same weekend that His Holiness passed away, and that there were expressions of sympathy from the LDS First Presidency on the news.
That was very cool! And LDS friend of mine said the very first thing President Hinckley did when he got up to speak was to offer his condolences.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Apr 8, '05, 6:09 pm

Religion: LDS

Many of our LDS friends phoned to tell my husband how sorry they felt for the passing of his Pope. We as members of the LDS church all feel sadness at the passing of this great and never to be forgotten man. He was truly one of a kind and the next Pope will have a tough act to follow. I hope that he will also be someone to respect and honor as John Paul II is. Our prayers are with all of our Catholic friends as you go through this mourning period and with the start of a new day with a new Pope.
BJ
Old Apr 8, '05, 6:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Colbert
Many of our LDS friends phoned to tell my husband how sorry they felt for the passing of his Pope. We as members of the LDS church all feel sadness at the passing of this great and never to be forgotten man. He was truly one of a kind and the next Pope will have a tough act to follow. I hope that he will also be someone to respect and honor as John Paul II is. Our prayers are with all of our Catholic friends as you go through this mourning period and with the start of a new day with a new Pope.
BJ
Thanks for your prayers! Amazing how many people are affected by the passing of our Pope. Who would have thought that basically the whole world would mourn the death of a Catholic? That's pretty cool that you LDS friends called to express their condolences about the Pope.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Apr 8, '05, 6:49 pm

I do not like cynical people for the most part, but I find myself developing a cynical attitude towards people outside of the Church right now. I was happy to see that people of all faiths and cultures expressing sorrow for the passing of Pope John Paul II. Now, after the secular world and non-Catholics have taken a deep breath, I'm afraid of what's next. I do not feel that the media will let this die down and "let his soul rest". I'm apprehensive and feel that there will be a lot of criticism and scrutiny to be dished out by the very people who covered the events. I pray that I'm wrong.

Old Apr 8, '05, 10:39 pm

I hear what you're saying. The media will let some aspects of this die down. The parts describing the immense loss much of the world expressed and what great things he accomplished will die down. What will increase as time goes on is the chorus (growing already) of people talking trash about the Pope because he didn't appoint a lesbian post-op transvestite Cardinal who's wife has had 4 abortions and is pregnant a 5th time despite having been on birth control.

Let me take cynicism a bit further and observe that Satan will never cease to try to tear down the faith and that is what we're seeing here. An unbelieving world and unbelieving "Christians" (in name only) calling for the next Pope to be pro abortion, pro sodomy, pro gay marriage, pro woman ordination and anti-celebicy.

I never will understand why so many liberal "catholics" expect the Church to cave on these issues when there is already a denomination that fits their world view. The Unitarian and Episcopal "churches" ring a bell. Maybe I can state it plainly for them:

-If you believe in and support abortion, gay marriage and homosexuality you're not really a Catholic, even if we don't excommunicate people like in the good old days.

If I was a member of a group that didn't reflect my views, I'D CHANGE GROUPS

Sorry for the rant. To keep it within the subject of the thread,

I talked to a Mormon friend of mine today about it and she shared the same feelings of how wonderful it was the whole world united on the topic and how he deserves it. If only they didn't believe god lived on planet kolob and all blacks are cursed with the mark of Cain.....
Old Apr 9, '05, 3:15 pm

The LDS church teaches that the Catholic Church is an abomination. Also I checked and discovered the LDS church, without permission, has baptized many of our popes. Including Pius XII. Doesn't sound like they respect us at all.
Old Apr 9, '05, 10:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
The LDS church teaches that the Catholic Church is an abomination. Also I checked and discovered the LDS church, without permission, has baptized many of our popes. Including Pius XII. Doesn't sound like they respect us at all.
the mormon church doesn't know what it teaches. they constantly change thier beliefs when convenient. i think they are trying to sound more main-line "Christian" these days. but, i'm sure there are many sincere mormons who respect the pope, and probably many others who could care less. i wonder if mormons were present at the asisi ecumenical meetings?
Old Apr 10, '05, 4:23 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Mormon Reaction to the death of John Paul II

How nice of folks to hijack a thread in which Mormon condolences were being offered for the repose of Pope John Paul and turn it into a Mormon-bashing. How very Christian, how very Catholic, how very charitable. That a priest chose to throw his two cents in sort of frosts the cake.
Old Apr 10, '05, 4:45 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well done Irish Melkite. My thoughts exactly. I read this thread from the top and was very moved that the Mormons had kept the Holy Father's passing in mind. The world is mourning the passing of the Holy Father. Yes we are lucky to have had him as spiritual leader but he belonged to the people of the world. We may feel a little jealous of the fact that his passing is being mourned by non-catholics and non-christians but in reality we should be very grateful for all condolences received.

To usurp a genuine thread like this saddens me and I am sure saddens the Holy Father who strove to break down barriers.

Now I wonder just how much of this did our fellow 'catholics' with the above thoughts really take on board? Are their sentiments only ones of pure emotion?

I wonder.

Ruins: the grass is high here Christ arrived, passed by
here the Mass was said.
The church across the way, here Christ comes every day
here the Mass is said.
Until that secret hour, when Christ returns in power
the Mass will still be said
Old Apr 10, '05, 7:05 am
Book Club Member

The LDS First Presidency (The President and his two counselors), along with hundreds of other LDS attended the funeral Mass held at our cathedral here in Salt Lake City for the Holy Father. I think that's quite impressive.

T Shaffer
Tiber Swim Team - Class of 03
Old Apr 10, '05, 8:39 am
Moderator (Ret.)

How nice of folks to hijack a thread in which Mormon condolences were being offered for the repose of Pope John Paul and turn it into a Mormon-bashing. How very Christian, how very Catholic, how very charitable. That a priest chose to throw his two cents in sort of frosts the cake.

I agree. Keep the thread on topic or it will be closed.

Paul Stephens
Old Apr 10, '05, 10:19 am

I have had Mormon missionaries target my parishioners. They are clear about the real Mormon view of Catholicism. As a priest it is my job to protect the flock. My perspective is that the LDS church will give some nice sound bites, but will continue to attack the Catholic Church and convert our people. Ask a Mormon if he has ever heard this: "we had more power than the pope in our little finger." Basically my response was that I don't not believe them and that this is just a PR move. You may not agree and that is your perogative. But I speak as one who has had to try and rescue Catholics who are proslytized by them.

Here is a joke from one of their magazines and helps explain my mistrust. By the way it is the SAME magazine that is linked in the first post:
"True Church
My friend was driving her daughter and her daughter’s friend home from pre-school, and passed by a church building of another faith. Her friend’s daughter observed, “That is not the true church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is it?” My friend confirmed that it was not. The preschooler continued, “So we don’t go to that church, do we?” My friend answered no. After a moment of thoughtful reflection, the young girl concluded: “I think it is the great and abominable church.”

Barbara O...
Midland, Michigan"

Last edited by cestusdei; Apr 10, '05 at 10:39 am.
Old Apr 10, '05, 12:31 pm

Religion: Mormon

Hi Cestus,

I am a Mormon, so I thought I would chip in my 2 cents on this. Here it is:

Mormons think their religion is better and more complete than any of the others, so they proselytize people, including Catholics. However, they still recognize that other religions can have a good deal of truth, and so we ought to support each other in areas where we agree.

Catholics think their religion is beter and more complete than any of the others, so they proselytize people, including Mormons. In fact, Catholic Answers recently published a book called "When Mormons Call" which gives instructions on how to try to get Mormon missionaries and acquaintances to question their faith. However, they still recognize that other religions can have a good deal of truth, and even recognize the baptisms performed in some of them.

Why would any of this prevent a Mormon from admiring JPII as someone who fought for good in the world? As someone who would agree with us on more than most, and who was courageous in acting on his beliefs? As someone who tried to promote peace? For heaven's sake, by your logic I'm not allowed to admire Ghandi or Martin Luther King, Jr.

I understand your frustration when your parishioners are proselytized by other faiths, but I think the spirit of bitterness you exhibit is unbecoming a priest. After all, don't you try to convince others to become Catholic? Who cares?

And for what it's worth, the little "joke" you posted was obviously not meant as a joke. It was meant as a "cute" story about the naive things little kids say. Big deal. Even so, I didn't think it was funny.

BDawg
Old Apr 10, '05, 12:33 pm

Religion: Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestusdei
Ask a Mormon if he has ever heard this: "we had more power than the pope in our little finger."
Never heard of it, and whoever said it is an arrogant jerk.

BDawg
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions