Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 1, '10, 3:28 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Question Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

Hello!

I really enjoyed reading "TRULY BELOVED'S" thread on Spokane WA.
Thank you to all the wonderful people contributing to the thread.
Thank you to "TRULY BELOVED" for starting the thread!
However, I did not want to hijack her thread.
I also have several questions about the area.

1) Can anyone please tell me what the quality of the water in the Spokane WA/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho area is like ? Taste, What is added to it ?

2) Also, is there a water shortage in the area like in some other states ?

3) SAFETY, how safe is the area?

Registered sex offenders, home invasions, etc.? Do people feel safe walking around late in the evening, if so, until what time?
And since the economy has been in decline, has crime been going up?

4) Is there a Catholic Homeschooling Co-Op in the area?

5) Is it easy to Homeschool there?

6) Can you have your children participate in 1 or 2 classes

(in the public schools), like music or P.E ?

7) Are the public schools in your area offering music as an elective?

Thank you,
Megan
Old Sep 1, '10, 4:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

You totally could have posted in my thread. Now I have 2 Spokane threads to watch.

The homeschooling laws vary quite a bit from WA to ID. It is much easier to homeschool in ID (see homeschooling laws here). WA has a few irritating state requirements, but I have found a bit of a "loophole," so I'm relatively comfortable homeschooling there (I'm an unschooler who is vehemently anti-standardized testing). I have also found a few posters on a different Catholic forum who homeschool in the Spokane area, and I'm sure they would know of local co-ops. I'm waiting to join that forum until I know a bit more about where my family will be moving.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old Sep 1, '10, 9:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

I'll offer what I can to help. I'm not going to be incredibly knowledgeable on all these areas, but I'll comment on the ones that I know something about.

1. Water Quality: I'm not sure what's added to it, that would probably take a bit more research. It does not have fluoride, though. But I've found the taste of the water in Spokane to be better than any of the other places I've lived or visited.

2. There's no water shortage that I know of.

3. Safety will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, like in most places. I'd stay away from the older sections of town. (The Hillyard area and Logan neighborhood were the two that I knew of to avoid. They're in the area surrounding Gonzaga University.) I lived on the North side of town (by the Northpointe shopping center, if that's helpful to you) and it was generally pretty safe. Some of the apartment buildings in the area did have a bit of a problem. Some garages were vandalized, from what I heard from the police. If you can find a neighborhood that does a "block watch" type of thing, they tend to be the safest. My husband worked nights (usually till midnight) and I felt pretty safe being around my home without him there. I didn't go walking around after about 9 o'clock or so by myself, but he rode his bicycle from work to home every night without problems.

Sorry I don't really know much about the school system there. My oldest baby just turned 4, so I wasn't really focused on it when I lived there a year ago. (I knew that my husband's job would take us elsewhere before the kids started school.)
Old Sep 1, '10, 9:18 pm

Talking Re: Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

THANKS "Truly Beloved"
Some people do not like when their thread gets hijacked, so
I was not sure what to do sorry...

Great link! I appreciate it.
If you can, please PM me the loophole you found, that would be great.
I think I'm leaning towards the CDA area better, but I will
keep researching Spokane, it sounds wonderful!
Peace,
Megan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Beloved View Post
You totally could have posted in my thread. Now I have 2 Spokane threads to watch.

The homeschooling laws vary quite a bit from WA to ID. It is much easier to homeschool in ID (see homeschooling laws here). WA has a few irritating state requirements, but I have found a bit of a "loophole," so I'm relatively comfortable homeschooling there (I'm an unschooler who is vehemently anti-standardized testing). I have also found a few posters on a different Catholic forum who homeschool in the Spokane area, and I'm sure they would know of local co-ops. I'm waiting to join that forum until I know a bit more about where my family will be moving.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old Sep 1, '10, 9:23 pm

Question Re: Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

Hi "Dancergal",

Thank you for your input!
Its great to know that they are not adding fluoride into the water,
that is great news!

I heard that there was a jail in the area, & when the people
complete their sentence they tend to hang around, because
of the lower cost of living, so crime is a concern for me.
Thanks for your help!
Peace,
Megan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancergal View Post
I'll offer what I can to help. I'm not going to be incredibly knowledgeable on all these areas, but I'll comment on the ones that I know something about.

1. Water Quality: I'm not sure what's added to it, that would probably take a bit more research. It does not have fluoride, though. But I've found the taste of the water in Spokane to be better than any of the other places I've lived or visited.

2. There's no water shortage that I know of.

3. Safety will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, like in most places. I'd stay away from the older sections of town. (The Hillyard area and Logan neighborhood were the two that I knew of to avoid. They're in the area surrounding Gonzaga University.) I lived on the North side of town (by the Northpointe shopping center, if that's helpful to you) and it was generally pretty safe. Some of the apartment buildings in the area did have a bit of a problem. Some garages were vandalized, from what I heard from the police. If you can find a neighborhood that does a "block watch" type of thing, they tend to be the safest. My husband worked nights (usually till midnight) and I felt pretty safe being around my home without him there. I didn't go walking around after about 9 o'clock or so by myself, but he rode his bicycle from work to home every night without problems.

Sorry I don't really know much about the school system there. My oldest baby just turned 4, so I wasn't really focused on it when I lived there a year ago. (I knew that my husband's job would take us elsewhere before the kids started school.)
Old Sep 2, '10, 10:08 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan7 View Post
THANKS "Truly Beloved"
Some people do not like when their thread gets hijacked, so
I was not sure what to do sorry...
Oh, it's okay! It's hard to determine, sometimes, what "hijacking" means to the original poster. I wouldn't have considered your questions hijacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan7 View Post
If you can, please PM me the loophole you found, that would be great.
Well, I called it a "loophole" because it fulfills the standardized-testing requirement, so the kids don't have to take any tests. Avoiding tests is a huge thing for me. Anyway, the State of WA allows this lady: Good Life Homeschool Services, to administer "assessments" that may be substituted for the standardized tests. She specializes "in families that provide eclectic/relaxed/unschooling home-based instruction," which is exactly what I need, since I'm unschooling my kiddos. From what I gather on her website, she emails the assessment to the parent for $30. I don't know if I'd be required to email her the results, but since the State of WA doesn't ask for the results of whatever standardized tests other homeschooled kids take, I can't imagine I would have to report the results of the assessment to anyone. I hold a bachelor's degree (but not in Education), so I don't have to worry about being "supervised" by a "certified person" or "convincing" the superintendent that I'm "qualified" to teach my children. Sigh. I'll save my rant about that for another day.

Old Sep 2, '10, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Talking Re: Spokane Washington/ Coeur D'Alene Idaho Water Quality, Safety, Homeschooling questions??

Spokane ROCKS!

The water is awesome. We have fought to keep flouride OUT! The Spokane Aquifer supplies the region with plenty of water.
An earlier post was pretty accurate regarding safety. Like all cities, some areas are rougher than others, but Spokane is a very family friendly place with many activities geared toward the family throughout the year.
We homeschool all of our children and chose to CO-OP with the Mead School District. They offer reimbursement toward curriculum and school supplies as well as activities. We control how much or how little the kids spend in a classroom and which curriculum to use.
Hope this helps.
God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting