Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 4, '10, 4:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Praying one decade of the rosary

I'm teaching PSR at our church, and the children are learning about the mysteries of the rosary. Since we have a lot of other material to cover each week, I thought it would be good to learn about one mystery and then say a decade of the rosary each class. However, I wasn't sure if there was a typical way to pray just one decade, if you just said 10 hail mary's and an our father, or if it would be more than that. I couldn't find anything when I googled it.
Old Sep 4, '10, 6:03 pm

Default Re: Praying one decade of the rosary

I did this with some of my own classes. We read about the mystery, maybe a bit of the appropriate Gospel and/or a simple reflection, then recited the decade: Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, Glory Be, and we added the (not mandatory but traditional) Fatima prayer.

It seemed to work well for the young ones and took about 5 minutes or so.
Old Sep 4, '10, 6:33 pm

Perfect, thanks. That will fit with the time we have available and their attention span at that time of day.
Old Sep 4, '10, 6:36 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket123 View Post
I did this with some of my own classes. We read about the mystery, maybe a bit of the appropriate Gospel and/or a simple reflection, then recited the decade: Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, Glory Be, and we added the (not mandatory but traditional) Fatima prayer.

It seemed to work well for the young ones and took about 5 minutes or so.
Yep, that's exactly what a single decade of the Rosary consists of - an Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, a Glory Be and (if wished) the 'O My Jesus ...' (Fatima Prayer).

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Sep 4, '10, 7:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
Yep, that's exactly what a single decade of the Rosary consists of - an Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, a Glory Be and (if wished) the 'O My Jesus ...' (Fatima Prayer).
But where do you get 'that's exactly'? Since there are not a lot of sources for 'the way to do a Decade of the Rosary, it's something I've been looking for: direction on the correct way to do a single Decade.

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." Anonymous
Old Sep 4, '10, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
But where do you get 'that's exactly'? Since there are not a lot of sources for 'the way to do a Decade of the Rosary, it's something I've been looking for: direction on the correct way to do a single Decade.
Another way of praying a decade of the Rosary is to pray the Scriptural Rosary. There is Scripture passage before each Hail Mary. Here is an example:

http://www.ainglkiss.com/ros/jo.htm

When I was a CCD teacher I typed up ten of those Scripture passages and handed them out to ten children. They were, beforehand, taught that they were to read the line of scripture, then hesitate for a couple of seconds and then say the first part of the Hail Mary. Then the rest of the class said the second part of the Hail Mary. I heartily encouraged them to say the Rosary this way, as it helps to focus on the mystery this way.

Of course the other way is fine also! Some people find it easy to focus on the Mystery as long as the decade is preceded by a few sentences about it.

As long as one meditates on the mystery during each decade, while holding Our Blessed Mother's hand, (saying the Hail Marys) then that is a correct way to say each decade.
Old Sep 5, '10, 12:13 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: More Catholic every day

Quote:
Sometimes I pray just 1 decade and that's how I do it. But I agree that instructions are hard to find; a few months ago I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.
Old Sep 5, '10, 2:43 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
Because it's the only way that makes any kind of sense at all, given what the instructions are for praying five decades. It's a situation where common sense is required rather than detailed instructions.

It just wouldn't make sense, for example, to include two Our Fathers but skip the Glory Be. Or vice versa to say two Glory Bes but skip the Our Father.

What other conclusion could you possibly reach? That one is to say the Apostles Creed, Our Father and Three Hail Mary's before a single decade? And the Hail Holy Queen etc afterwards. But if so they'd be said before and after EACH decade when you're saying the five.

See what I mean? One just needs to apply a bit of common sense. Stands to reason it's one Our Father and one Glory Be, no more and no less.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Sep 5, '10, 10:11 am

Just quickly, plenty of Rosary resources here. Check out the link for the Rosary Confraternity as well.
Old Sep 5, '10, 4:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
See what I mean? One just needs to apply a bit of common sense. Stands to reason it's one Our Father and one Glory Be, no more and no less.
While it's obviously a *valid* way to do a single Decade, my question related to the choice of the term, 'exactly', since where I come from, there is no 'wrong way' to do the Rosary (provided the intention is correct, and one is moving to put/keep their heart right)

As for me, when I do a Decade, I do it just so I can get to the Salve Regina, the Memorare, the Doxology and the St. Michael Prayer at the end. Based on the post, I'm *wrong* for doing that, since the way posted earlier was 'it exactly'.

The point is, there is no right or wrong way, but there are several good ways to do this.

Not only that, if there was some source (with the authorization and such), that would also be helpful. But to state 'that's it exactly' was what I objected to, not the way to do the Rosary or even a Decade of the Rosary.

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." Anonymous
Old Sep 5, '10, 6:03 pm

Here is a private devotion that one may practice based on praying one decade of the Holy Rosary at a time: Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Rosary.

It seems to be not approved by any ecclesiastic authority, but it seems to be a sound devotion
Old Sep 5, '10, 6:57 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: More Catholic every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin78 View Post
Here is a private devotion that one may practice based on praying one decade of the Holy Rosary at a time: Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Rosary.
Thanks for posting that!

Last edited by sungirl; Sep 5, '10 at 7:13 pm. Reason: part of response did not post

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality