Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 8, '10, 7:56 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Criss Angel Show

Does anyone have an opinion of him. He seems to protray he is Christian but he gets a motorcycle that is made of skulls and bones and seems to do magic (illusions). How does this relate with the Catholic belief. I sometimes feel like when I watch him I'm watching something wrong. He is very entertaining though and just would like your thoughts. Also remember watching Sylvia Browne and she also said she was Christian. She wrote many books about it too. Just wanting your thoughts.

Thanks for your opinion.

Kim
Old Sep 9, '10, 10:43 am

Send a message via Yahoo to dconklin
Default Re: Criss Angel Show

As with any entertainment, you have to be careful. It is just a show - an act. If he was calling on demons - or saints for that matter - to help him it would be bad. What he is doing is not nearly as bad to watch as many of the other shows out there. I try to stick with the Discovery Channel type shows. Less fantasy.

When someone asks you to think about 'what Jesus would do', remember he thought it was fitting to get fired up and turn tables over.
Old Sep 9, '10, 11:33 am

Criss Angel is too weird and creepy for me, however he is just performing, as any other show biz entertainer. Sylvia Browne (she grew up Catholic, I think) is just a fraud.
Old Sep 9, '10, 11:34 am

Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)

Sylvia Browne is a huge phony. She was exposed on Montell when she said someone's husband drowned and the audience member revealed that he died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Whether or not she's Christian is only known to herself and God. Same thing for everyone and anyone being Christian.

But just because Criss Angel has a motorcycle with skulls on it, that doesn't mean he isn't Christian. That just means he likes motorcycles and skull designs. And he doesn't do magic. He does magic tricks and illusions. There's a big difference.

I'm still trying to figure out how he did that walking-on-water thing though...
Old Sep 10, '10, 7:08 am

Criss Angel is an illusionist. Despite his youthful looks he has been spending years perfecting his craft and looking into new ways to do his illusions bigger and better. Some of his escape illusions are truly spectacular because his escapes count on so much in the way of perfect timing and being sure of his abilities -- I mean a few seconds too long on some of his things he could be seriously hurt or even killed.

He does seem to be quite family oriented though. He has many brothers and cousins involved with his show as either technical advisors or managers and I think he brings his mother along for some of his onsite shoots. Several of his "Mind Freak" shows have also featured him back in his old home town doing things at his school, too. Also, some of the old photos from his childhood clearly show him in a church -- Greek Orthodox I believe. Unless this is all a stunt of some kind it at least shows he isn't ashamed of where he is from, gives back to the community in some way and keeps close family ties. I think that says a lot about him as a person.

His illusions also, in my opinion, don't focus on gory or macabre subjects either. They are primarily escape tricks or making things disappear or levitation. I remember seeing a few videos on Youtube with him showing how a few of his more simple or basic tricks are done. He is really dexterous and a master at distracting people long enough to put something in place or to take it out of place. So imagine these simple tricks writ large and you get an idea of how he plans and develops things.

Does all this make him a Christian? I don't know, but he doesn't claim to have any supernatural or unworldly powers. He got to where he is the old fashioned way through hardwork and persistence.

ChadS
Old Sep 10, '10, 2:30 pm

Thanks for your posts everyone. Doesn't make me feel so bad watching him. He is truly amazing with his stunts.

Kim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality