Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 16, '10, 9:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Teaching your preteens and teens about chastity

I'm looking for advice and/or opinions on the series Sex Respect by Coleen Kelly Mast and the Theology of the Body, and any other programs people have used and find worthwhile. Several moms in my parish, myself included, are looking for a good program to use with our daughters and sons. I have heard these are both good, but Sex Respect is less focused on the moral teaching of the Church is this regard. Also, is there another program I haven't mentioned that is worth looking into?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,
AnnElizabeth
Old Sep 16, '10, 10:16 am

Default Re: Teaching your preteens and teens about chastity

Dr. Colleen Kelly Mast has two series: Sex Respect which was written for the public schools and Love and Life which was written for Christians which is also aligned with the teachings of the Catholic Church. Check out her website, www.sexrespect.com. It is not immediately clear that there are two different programs until you really look at the first page. I have never used it, but I have heard very good things about it.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16, '10, 12:17 pm
Forum Elder

I would start highly recommend this book:

Talking to Youth About Sexuality: A Parent's Guide [Revised Edition] by Mike Aquilina and Fr. Kris Stubna

Of course, we don't want to simply turn our kids over to a program to teach them these things: the responsibility lies with us parents. But it can be nice to have resources to use. I can name a few, but I don't really have first-hand experience with them, so I couldn't really advise you as to whether or not they'd meet your need..

Ascension Press does a lot with Theology of the Bosy and they have a whole TOB for Teens program. It looks promising, and I've been consistently impressed by Ascension Press' other offerings (especially "The Great Adventure" Bible studies), so it seems like a good place to start.

It never hurts to contact a sales rep from a publisher to ask them questions and find out whether or not it will work for you with what you want to do.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 16, '10, 7:54 pm

Thanks for your input. We are wanting to use it in conjunction with our youth group and for home use as well. I did not know about the Love and Life series, but that sounds very promising, as well as the book. I'm going to look into both suggestions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.
Old Sep 16, '10, 8:05 pm

Jason Evert's DVD- "Romance Without Regret" is awesome and will hold the interest of a youth group! He has a great sense of humor that keeps everyone engaged!
The "Pure Life" series is great too, and could be broken up into segments when you get together.

Old Sep 16, '10, 8:09 pm

Religion: Catholic - Revert

I personally think that Moms should talk with their sons and Dads should talk with their daughters.

It builds a mental picture in teens' minds of responsible relationship with the opposite sex.

A Mom can talk about pregnancy to her son and a Dad can talk about being a financial & spiritual protector for his family.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting