Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 18, '10, 2:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can my husband use a vibrator to stimulate me before intercourse is completed?

Sometimes I need more stimulation to achieve satisfaction. My husband may be too tired for prolonged manual stimulation and or he may have trouble delaying ejaculation.
Old Sep 18, '10, 3:19 pm

Default Re: Can my husband use a vibrator to stimulate me before intercourse is completed?

of course!
Old Sep 19, '10, 3:49 pm

Question Re: Can my husband use a vibrator to stimulate me before intercourse is completed?

Ok so 216 people read this but only one replied. So is the answer that obvious?! I mean it is obvious that it would fulfill the procreative aspect but what about the unitive? Does it ever seem like it might interfere with the experience of it being unitive to introduce something artificial? Under what conditions does it seem to hamper rather than enhance the experience. Maybe it's just my husbands problem in that like every other circumstance he makes this an issue about him and his sense of adequacy instead of being able to focus on his spouses needs.
Old Sep 19, '10, 5:29 pm

Default Re: Can my husband use a vibrator to stimulate me before intercourse is completed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Fera View Post
Ok so 216 people read this but only one replied. So is the answer that obvious?! I mean it is obvious that it would fulfill the procreative aspect but what about the unitive? Does it ever seem like it might interfere with the experience of it being unitive to introduce something artificial? Under what conditions does it seem to hamper rather than enhance the experience. Maybe it's just my husbands problem in that like every other circumstance he makes this an issue about him and his sense of adequacy instead of being able to focus on his spouses needs.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P511029.HTM

Quote:
The same Creator, Who in His bounty and wisdom willed to make use of the work of man and woman, by uniting them in matrimony, for the preservation and propagation of the human race, has also decreed that in this function the parties should experience pleasure and happiness of body and spirit. Husband and wife, therefore, by seeking and enjoying this pleasure do no wrong whatever. They accept what the Creator has destined for them.
The Church does not teach that it is immoral to "introduce something artificial" to the conjugal act. For example the Church teaches that contraception is wrong, not because it is "artificial", as secular commentators often claim, but because of the intent to prevent the workings of our God-given fertility.

No doubt the use of such devices as you mention, if you choose to use them, could be carried to an extreme of hedonism rather than self-giving love. This is a prudential judgment which you and your husband have to make. There is certainly nothing wrong with seeking to derive enjoyment from the conjugal act. The act must always be open to conception, but the Church does not teach that being open to conception is the only possible end much less the only requirement for an act of conjugal love.
Old Sep 19, '10, 7:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Maybe it's just my husbands problem in that like every other circumstance he makes this an issue about him and his sense of adequacy instead of being able to focus on his spouses needs.
This part of your post struck me.

It made me feel sad for the both of you...I feel sad for your husband because he might worry that his wife needs a piece of plastic to satisfy her because he is inadequate. I feel sad for you in that you are feeling let down because your husband is too tired or disinterested to be the kind of husband that you need.

I can understand couples having fun and trying different things that is understandable! However for you it does not seem like this is something for fun necessarily but that you both have (in some small way) given up on trying in your intimate life?

Perhaps the use of devices is not against church teaching, however in your case before you go down this road I would consider doing what you can to improve your marriage in other ways. All marriages (including my own) could benefit from better communication and lots and lots of prayer! Talk to Jesus about this, he loves you so much! Please take care as best as you can and be assured of my prayers. God bless.
Old Sep 19, '10, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Sometimes I need more stimulation to achieve satisfaction. My husband may be too tired for prolonged manual stimulation and or he may have trouble delaying ejaculation.
If it is not part of the act of intercourse, it is masturbation. American Heritage Dictionary: masturbation n.: Excitation of one's own or another's genital organs, usually to orgasm, by manual contact or means other than sexual intercourse.

Persona Humana (1975) Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

Item 9:

"The traditional Catholic doctrine that masturbation constitutes a grave moral disorder is often called into doubt or expressly denied today. It is said that psychology and sociology show that it is a normal phenomenon of sexual development, especially among the young. It is stated that there is real and serious fault only in the measure that the subject deliberately indulges in solitary pleasure closed in on self ("ipsation"), because in this case the act would indeed be radically opposed to the loving communion between persons of different sex which some hold is what is principally sought in the use of the sexual faculty.

This opinion is contradictory to the teaching and pastoral practice of the Catholic Church. Whatever the force of certain arguments of a biological and philosophical nature, which have sometimes been used by theologians, in fact both the Magisterium of the Church - in the course of a constant tradition - and the moral sense of the faithful have declared without hesitation that masturbation is an intrinsically and seriously disordered act.[19] The main reason is that, whatever the motive for acting this way, the deliberate use of the sexual faculty outside normal conjugal relations essentially contradicts the finality of the faculty. For it lacks the sexual relationship called for by the moral order, namely the relationship which realizes "the full sense of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love."[20] All deliberate exercise of sexuality must be reserved to this regular relationship. Even if it cannot be proved that Scripture condemns this sin by name, the tradition of the Church has rightly understood it to be condemned in the New Testament when the latter speaks of "impurity," "unchasteness" and other vices contrary to chastity and continence."

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...humana_en.html

Old Sep 20, '10, 6:52 am
Banned

Vico, I believe the OP said it WAS during the act. Most women do not reach the peak with mere Part A into Part B. It really does nothing. Reality check for you, Vico! Most women need something extra before or after. That is NOT masturbation.

HE has to finish in her, but SHE does not have to peak while he does.
Old Sep 20, '10, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
Vico, I believe the OP said it WAS during the act. Most women do not reach the peak with mere Part A into Part B. It really does nothing. Reality check for you, Vico! Most women need something extra before or after. That is NOT masturbation.

HE has to finish in her, but SHE does not have to peak while he does.
The definition of masturbation states "means other than sexual intercourse".

Last edited by Vico; Sep 20, '10 at 9:09 am.
Old Sep 20, '10, 9:19 am

Quote:
I think Gregory Popcak's book "Holy Sex" may be able to help you out with this one. Other objects can be permitted, but you do have a point about the unitive aspect and your husband's comfort levels and the way it seems to be making your husband feel inadequate. I do think comfort levels trump over needs for pleasure. That said, Gregory Popcak's book gives a lot of good advise about allowing spouses to eventually become comfortable with something on their own and to overall focus on the whole of the relationship.
Old Sep 20, '10, 9:23 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico View Post
Foreplay and afterplay ARE part of the conjugal act. Our bodies (neither women's nor men's!) aren't designed for solely, as a PP put it, "part A into part B". Without foreplay and afterplay, the act is significantly less unitive and can be painful as well as frustrating for the wife.

To the OP, I think using a vibrator within the conjugal act is fine as long as it doesn't make your husband feel replaced or inadequate. It should be something you both enjoy, even if only one of you gets direct stimulation from it.
Old Sep 20, '10, 9:57 am

Quote:
Vico, using a dictionary's definition is limiting and gives a complete incorrect understanding of human sexuality or God's design for it. The definition you gave indicates that masturbation is often that which is used to acheive orgasm, but it implies it can still be masturbation even if the person does not orgasm. This is true in the Catholic sense. If a man young single man masturbates in his room while alone, but stops just before he's orgasmed, he's still sinned. He still needs to confess the sin of masturbation. The same is true for a woman. However, if you put this rule into the marital bedroom, this means most foreplay is not permitted. The man and woman must never touch each other genitals. If this is the case, then the man and the woman would likely render themselves incapable of intercourse, let alone make it nearly impossible for the woman to climax at all.

Masturbation is what happens when someone is alone or when a couple is actively refusing to engage in sexual intercourse while seeking sexual pleasure other ways.

We need to take the Catechism's principle that sexual pleasure (not just the orgasm) is morally disordered when sought for by itself isolated from its unitive and procreative meaning. This in no way means sexual pleasure needs to be limited to intercourse (which naturally it simply is not), but it does mean that a couple should not be trying to impede the sexual process by refusing to have intercourse and that the act ought to be uniting the husband and wife. It simply is this: Sex has aims which are naturally obvious. We should not let our lusts impede those natural purposes. Thinking anything beyond that is completely overthinking the entire issue.
Old Sep 20, '10, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoangels View Post
Vico, using a dictionary's definition is limiting and gives a complete incorrect understanding of human sexuality or God's design for it. The definition you gave indicates that masturbation is often that which is used to acheive orgasm, but it implies it can still be masturbation even if the person does not orgasm. This is true in the Catholic sense. If a man young single man masturbates in his room while alone, but stops just before he's orgasmed, he's still sinned. He still needs to confess the sin of masturbation. The same is true for a woman. However, if you put this rule into the marital bedroom, this means most foreplay is not permitted. The man and woman must never touch each other genitals. If this is the case, then the man and the woman would likely render themselves incapable of intercourse, let alone make it nearly impossible for the woman to climax at all.

Masturbation is what happens when someone is alone or when a couple is actively refusing to engage in sexual intercourse while seeking sexual pleasure other ways.

We need to take the Catechism's principle that sexual pleasure (not just the orgasm) is morally disordered when sought for by itself isolated from its unitive and procreative meaning. This in no way means sexual pleasure needs to be limited to intercourse (which naturally it simply is not), but it does mean that a couple should not be trying to impede the sexual process by refusing to have intercourse and that the act ought to be uniting the husband and wife. It simply is this: Sex has aims which are naturally obvious. We should not let our lusts impede those natural purposes. Thinking anything beyond that is completely overthinking the entire issue.
I would like to understand the topic, yet my training is in conflict with those ideas. (I thought kissing and non-genital touching were ordinate foreplay preceeding coitus.)

So masturbation is permissible, in your opinion, between husband and wife preceeding and during coitus?

That idea presents a conflict with the teaching of the "limits of just moderation" as sexual pleasure with both the procreative and the unitive purpose:

2362 ... The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation.146

146 Allocution to midwives, October 29, 1951, Pope Pius XII:

"The right rule is this: the use of the natural procreative disposition is morally lawful in matrimony only, in the service of and in accordance with the ends of marriage itself. Hence it follows that only in marriage with the observing of this rule is the desire and fruition of this pleasure and of this satisfaction lawful. For the pleasure is subordinate to the law of the action whence it derives, and not vice versa—the action to the law of pleasure. And this law, so very reasonable, concerns not only the substance but also the circumstances of the action, so that, even when the substance of the act remains morally safe, it is possible to sin in the way it is performed."

Old Sep 20, '10, 12:36 pm

Quote:
I would like to understand the topic, yet my training is in conflict with those ideas. (I thought kissing and non-genital touching were ordinate foreplay preceeding coitus.)

So masturbation is permissible, in your opinion, between husband and wife preceeding and during coitus?
That idea presents a conflict with the teaching of the "limits of just moderation" as sexual pleasure with both the procreative and the unitive purpose:

2362 ... The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation.146

"The right rule is this: the use of the natural procreative disposition is morally lawful in matrimony only, in the service of and in accordance with the ends of marriage itself. Hence it follows that only in marriage with the observing of this rule is the desire and fruition of this pleasure and of this satisfaction lawful. For the pleasure is subordinate to the law of the action whence it derives, and not vice versa—the action to the law of pleasure. And this law, so very reasonable, concerns not only the substance but also the circumstances of the action, so that, even when the substance of the act remains morally safe, it is possible to sin in the way it is performed."

A couple using hands to increase arousal in preparation for intercourse, or using hands to stimulate the erogenous zones in order to assist in either reaching climax or experiencing pleasure is NOT the same thing as 'masturbation'. Manual stimulation of erogenous zones during an entire completed act of intercourse is licit; in fact it is even the loving thing to do. We use our hands to caress each other outside of sexual intercourse, so why would it suddenly become 'hands-off' during a sexual encounter? It is often said that men respond visually to the sight of their wives, but women respond to their husband's touch. We shouldn't disregard this ancient wisdom in how men and women respond differently when it comes to the marital act.
Old Sep 20, '10, 3:09 pm

Quote:

As I said, its not masturbation. Attitudes like this is what contributes to the stereotype that women don't like sex.

Quote:

Exactly what are you interpretting the "limits of just moderation" to mean? I see no point of conflict here whatsoever.

Quote:

You're reading inbetween the lines and interpretting things that aren't there. The issue isn't at all what the Church is saying, but in your overall a problem with how you're seeing sex. Sex isn't just intercourse. Intercourse is an essential part that contains much of the meaning of sex, but it begins much earlier than when the couple begins to have intercourse. So long as the couple is not denying the procreative and unitive meaning of their sexuality (actively avoiding intercourse, using contraceptives, etc), the couple is not sinning.
Old Sep 20, '10, 3:34 pm

at·ten·u·ate
[v. uh-ten-yoo-eyt; adj. uh-ten-yoo-it, -eyt]
1. to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value: to attenuate desire.
2. to make thin; make slender or fine.
4. Electronics . to decrease the amplitude of (an electronic signal).

As in, an argument that cites cross sources is attenuated.

The American Heritage Dictionary is not "Doctrine."

Readin' the bible er' day.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life