Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '05, 4:20 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ebay seller claims to have another host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyofthevalley
What really is annoying is, EBAY is allowing this...i wonder sometimes if it were something sacred to another religion such as Islam, and Hinduism would they still sell it?
Yes, I agree that Ebay would not do this if it were sacred to another religion. I am trying to think of a comparable. Can anyone help me out? I am sure other religions have something that is very sacred...beyond statues like Budda.
Old Apr 13, '05, 4:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom 07
Absolutely. There is no way to prove it is or isn't consecrated. Isn't that a good enough reason (inviting fraud) for e-Bay to ban such sales? We need to nudge our leaders to address this matter with e-bay.
[PHP][/PHP]

Well, it can be proven if we could a very holy person who can discern whether it is Jesus or not...but there is no time for this.

Christ si risen...truly he is risen!
Shoshana
Old Apr 13, '05, 4:37 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
Yes, I agree that Ebay would not do this if it were sacred to another religion. I am trying to think of a comparable. Can anyone help me out? I am sure other religions have something that is very sacred...beyond statues like Budda.
[PHP][/PHP]

The Koran is very sacred to the Muslims....nonetheless, I read your posts on e-bay and tired to post (thinking I could sneak in....) and your posts were excellent. I am proud to have you a Catholic friend! SS seems evil to say the least....

But I could not post...

Christ is risen...truly he is risen!
Shoshana
Old Apr 13, '05, 5:02 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana
[PHP][/PHP]

The Koran is very sacred to the Muslims....nonetheless, I read your posts on e-bay and tired to post (thinking I could sneak in....) and your posts were excellent. I am proud to have you a Catholic friend! SS seems evil to say the least....

But I could not post...

Christ is risen...truly he is risen!
Shoshana
I am glad that you were able to read it. Did you see all 37 posts? There are some real strange posters on ebay aren't there? I know I can't reproduce it here and I went back and read their rules. I think they may lock up my thread if they read it. There is some bad language or at least name calling by some of the non Christian posters. I think they may get uncomfortable with the whole topic. I called the 800 number for ebay after work, but they were already closed. I will have to call earlier tomorrow. After getting the creeps on that ebay message board I really do appreciate all of you even more.
Old Apr 13, '05, 5:07 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Listen, here, BUD, I am a Protestant and would not do such a thing. Should I judge ALL Catholics when a Catholic does something bad???
Lily, I think that a really Christian person would not do this, Protestant or not. I have so many wonderful Protestant friends that are very holy and they respect all people, as any good Christian would do. You are right- I would not want to be lumped into any category with any CINO on this planet. Sometimes they are more hateful to Catholics than any true outsider.
Old Apr 13, '05, 5:31 pm

Quote:
The seller just sent me an e-mail stating that they had another host that they were planning to auction off. Just in case, you haven't read my other post, they're Protestants. What a surprise!
=================================
Listen, here, BUD, I am a Protestant and would not do such a thing. Should I judge ALL Catholics when a Catholic does something bad???
As for the moron selling communion wafers on Ebay he sounds like a donkey's behind and I doubt they are from his trip to Rome. Jerks try to profit from the suffering of others this guy is profiting from your anger over this.
All right. I apologize for the Protestant remark.
Old Apr 13, '05, 5:34 pm

Here's the e-mail

From: [email protected] <[email protected]> To: [email protected] CC: Received: 04/12/05 11:55 pm Subject: from a collector Attachments:
"I was just wondering if you have anymore memorabilia from the Pope's Mass. I am a VERY interested collector. Steve"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, tell me, what should I do with the "other" host that I have from Pope II? Auction it too??
Old Apr 13, '05, 10:04 pm

Well, if this is a real Host, then it amounts to either stolen Church property or abuse of a Person. If it is not, it is fraud. In either case, the appropriate response would seem to be filing a class action lawsuit. Every Catholic ought to be offended and we are all due a price from Ebay for allowing this. They've already allowed one sale, so they are already liable. I figure it's worth multi-millions. If they allow another sale, they could go bankrupt.

They really can't even defend without offending Catholics worldwide. Let's shut them down and teach them their lesson!
Old Apr 13, '05, 10:18 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo

Even if he's Protestant, he still should have some degree of respect for what other consider as holy. Even if he doesn't see it as such, he should know that there are people who see the consecrated host as holy. I am not sure if the guy's out for sensationalism, though I would think that's his motive.

Old Apr 15, '05, 3:41 am
Banned

How protestants are allowed to take the eucharist?
did he fake as a Catholic?
Old Apr 15, '05, 4:35 am

E-Bay claims tolerance. However, their lack of tolerance for Catholics and our beliefs is deplorable. The best thing to do is to continue to complain to E-Bay and boycott until they change their policies. E-Bay needs to be educated that the Eucharist is free to all believers and is never for sale. The ultimate price has already been paid. Whether the pope consecrated it or a pediophile priest did, it's the same Body, Blood, Soul, & Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited by DeniseR; Apr 15, '05 at 4:37 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 15, '05, 5:08 am

Ebay needs to be boycotted by all Catholics. They will only listen to their bottom line and if Catholics boycott them then they may change their policy. But I frankly wouldn't do business with them even if they changed their policy because I am so mad at them.

I agree with the opinion that we should not try to purchase as that would only encourage more sacrileges like this to occur.

I hope that a class-action lawsuit would be feasible as chicago suggested. There are some organizations that might help us including the American Center for Law and Justice and the Thomas More Law Center:

http://www.thomasmore.org/
http://www.aclj.org/

There may be other organizations I am not aware of.
Old Apr 15, '05, 6:19 am

In my country satanists came in in a church of Madrid and stole consecrate host for his rites, and in Chile a satanist killed a priest, we have many enemies, I listened that the first host has been bought by a knight of columbus to coming back to the church, but we donīt have to follow the game. Pray for him and boycotting Ebay.
Old Apr 15, '05, 6:33 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yochumjy
That was my first thought also. You know what they say, there is one born every minute. Not that I've ever been a sucker...
Really, if its a consecrated host they want they can get it for free at their local Catholic Church! I have lots of pictures of the pope they're all over.
Old Apr 15, '05, 7:19 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
I am posting on the ebay collectible message board, and I will have to tell you that there are some that are very disrespectful of our religion and all religions really. I have posted three times, but I want to bombard the message board so that ebay knows it is just not me alone that is complaining. I want more complaints to show up. If you are ebay user, sign on and go to http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=9
We are now at 90 comments on ebay. If you are a member, please post for us. Thanks. I will be quitting ebay soon, but want to see this thread through the end. I also want ebay to answer my complaints that I have sent.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005