Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Sep 23, '10, 11:56 am
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Teenager in mortal sin?

My wife and I have recently learned that our teenage daughter has been lying to us about serious matters (such as chatting on the internet with a 25 year old man about kissing him.) We've discovered emails where she brags about how she disobeys our rules behind our back when it comes to things like the internet and cell phone. Now, her Catholic faith is important to her (she voluntarily attends daily Mass at her school). I'm trying to impress upon her the fact that with such flagrant disobedience, she is in danger of having committed mortal sin. But I'm just her dad, what do I know? Is there some article or pamphlet--an examination of conscience or a guide to confession--which will impress upon her the seriousness of deceiving and disobeying one's parents?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:11 pm
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

of equal and possibly even more pressing concern is the fact your daughter is being victimized by an internet predator. Get her to a priest and get the police involved, and get some family counselling to find out why she is moving in this direction. There is a lot more to this story and a crisis is brewing.
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:18 pm
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
of equal and possibly even more pressing concern is the fact your daughter is being victimized by an internet predator. Get her to a priest and get the police involved, and get some family counselling to find out why she is moving in this direction. There is a lot more to this story and a crisis is brewing.
Indeed. We've got those basis covered.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:30 pm
StJudePray4Me's Avatar
StJudePray4Me StJudePray4Me is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 14, 2009
Posts: 949
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

How old is she?

It seems to me all you need is the commandment "Honor thy mother and father" as your proof that what she's doing is a sin.

Have you asked her why she disobeys? Does she not understand that you are protecting her by having rules about the internet?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:36 pm
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJudePray4Me View Post
How old is she?

It seems to me all you need is the commandment "Honor thy mother and father" as your proof that what she's doing is a sin.

Have you asked her why she disobeys? Does she not understand that you are protecting her by having rules about the internet?
It's obvious to even her that she is in sin, but she is not impressed with the fact that this is grave matter and that she is placing her soul in peril with such acts of disobedience.

We've told 70 x 70 that we are doing God's bidding and watching out for her own good. But she's a teenager and is convinced that her parents just don't understand.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:49 pm
cargau cargau is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 637
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith0718 View Post
My wife and I have recently learned that our teenage daughter has been lying to us about serious matters (such as chatting on the internet with a 25 year old man about kissing him.) We've discovered emails where she brags about how she disobeys our rules behind our back when it comes to things like the internet and cell phone. Now, her Catholic faith is important to her (she voluntarily attends daily Mass at her school). I'm trying to impress upon her the fact that with such flagrant disobedience, she is in danger of having committed mortal sin. But I'm just her dad, what do I know? Is there some article or pamphlet--an examination of conscience or a guide to confession--which will impress upon her the seriousness of deceiving and disobeying one's parents?
Your daughter is deliberately defying your authority and you are trying to get her to understand that her actions are sinful??? Really!

That may be a reasonable point to make some time later. The truth is, defying you doesn't seem to bother her, in fact, she likes it!

As her father, you need to get control. If she is using the cell phone and computer (that you undoubtably paid for) to defy you, then take them away. You need to get her attention in a way that causes her pain if she elects to persist in this behavior.

She must respect you as her authority, not her friend or her equal. To do that, you must assume the mantle of authority by leading her to proper behavior even if it is not altogether pleasant. She needs to understand that obedience is not optional.

This all may seem a bit harsh, but I really believe if you "put your foot down": and not allow the unhealthy behaviors to continue, she will respect you...and not just because she has to...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:53 pm
Julian0404's Avatar
Julian0404 Julian0404 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 7, 2009
Posts: 1,565
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

The first 3 commandments deal with our releationship with GOD, the remainder deal with our relationship with each other. The bridge between the two, i.e. the 4th commandment is to Honor your Father and Mother. That is the bridge as it still implys we owe respect to GOD (the Father), but now directly assigns the "obedience" to the earthly father and mother.

Go to the cathechism of the Catholic Church and read the explanation of the commandments with a focus on the 4th. Look for other references from TAN Publishers on the 10 Commandments. Look for CD's from Scott Hahn or others on this same topic.
And I would suggest that after dinner, begin a family rosary.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:01 pm
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargau View Post
Your daughter is deliberately defying your authority and you are trying to get her to understand that her actions are sinful??? Really!

That may be a reasonable point to make some time later. The truth is, defying you doesn't seem to bother her, in fact, she likes it!

As her father, you need to get control. If she is using the cell phone and computer (that you undoubtably paid for) to defy you, then take them away. You need to get her attention in a way that causes her pain if she elects to persist in this behavior.

She must respect you as her authority, not her friend or her equal. To do that, you must assume the mantle of authority by leading her to proper behavior even if it is not altogether pleasant. She needs to understand that obedience is not optional.

This all may seem a bit harsh, but I really believe if you "put your foot down": and not allow the unhealthy behaviors to continue, she will respect you...and not just because she has to...
Believe me, we're putting our foot down. She probably we've locked her from our computer, cancelled her access to computer at the library, taken away her school issued laptop. She probably won't have an internet connection until she leaves home several years from now.

My question is not being answered. I'm putting my foot down. (The reason it wasn't put down earlier was because my wife, her mother is overly permissive and lax about enforcing rules). I can figure out how to put my foot down. What I can't figure out is how to impress upon her that she is--not in sin--but in MORTAL sin.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:01 pm
WantToBeGoodC WantToBeGoodC is offline
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: April 28, 2010
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

I agreed on "putting your foot down" and she'll get it! All those "Active parenting" courses tell us parents to guide and talk, even when the kids refuse to listen. Especially, now, she doesn't want to listen at all but she's guilty; she needs to experience the consequences for not being a good kid in terms of the commandments. Everytime my teenager son doesn't want to listen, I sit with him in a private place and softly with concerned voice, I told him that I have to talk about it to teach him because nobody else will and because it's my job. At first, he got upset but then calm down and sober for being bad. The tone you speak is important! God bless!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:07 pm
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBeGoodC View Post
I agreed on "putting your foot down" and she'll get it! All those "Active parenting" courses tell us parents to guide and talk, even when the kids refuse to listen. Especially, now, she doesn't want to listen at all but she's guilty; she needs to experience the consequences for not being a good kid in terms of the commandments. Everytime my teenager son doesn't want to listen, I sit with him in a private place and softly with concerned voice, I told him that I have to talk about it to teach him because nobody else will and because it's my job. At first, he got upset but then calm down and sober for being bad. The tone you speak is important! God bless!
I really appreciate the parenting advice! I really do. But will someone please answer my original question of how to communicate to my daughter, not that she's being disobedient, or even that she's in sin, but that she's probably in mortal sin.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:10 pm
tuscany's Avatar
tuscany tuscany is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: March 2, 2010
Posts: 6,183
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

I don't think , right now at least, that you can impress on her that she is breaking commandments, and that she is in mortal sin. I think that if you gave her a book to read right now, that she really wouldn't read it or if she did, pay attention to it. She really isn't paying attention to any of that right now. She is feeling her oats, tasted a little freedom, and thinks she knows it all. The most important thing you can do is get her attention right now.

IMO, You need to impress on your daughter that you are the parents, and need to be obeyed.
I would take her computer away from her, and only let her use it for school work. I would move the computer to an area of the house where there is traffic and everyone can see what she is doing. Then I would take her cell phone away from her. When she cries about that, and what will she do if there is an emergency, well, there won't be an emergency, because she will be grounded for a month. I would only let her use the family phone once a week from 7:00 to 7:30 and only in front of the family. And when she gets mad and goes to her room and slams the bedroom door, I'd remove the door.

You have to get a handle on this now, and she needs to know who is the boss, and that all the worldly things she has right now, come from you. And you who giveth, can and will taketh away.
She has lost the trust you gave her, and now she has to earn it back. And that is a slow process. She has to earn the door to her room back, the cell phone back, etc.. When she realises that her life was better before she disobeyed, she will start seeing that you get to do more things and have more freedoms when you obey your parents.

While she is isolated from her friends, and you start getting her attention back, then you can introduce some books or tapes for her. I think they will make an impact then, but trying to do it now while she is not listening to you, I think will be a waste of time.
I don't have specific names of books or tapes, but you can ask your priest for a book he might recommend, look at the EWTN catalogue, or go into a Catholic bookstore, they usually know what's going on.

The circumstances were way different, and not as serious as yours, but this worked like a charm on one of my kids.
__________________
If you're in the Military or a Veteran, "THANK YOU".
Pray the Rosary with others @ comepraytherosary.org

Last edited by tuscany; Sep 23, '10 at 1:30 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:13 pm
keith0718 keith0718 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 43
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany View Post
IMO, You need to impress on your daughter that you are the parents, and need to be obeyed.
I would take her computer away from her, and only let her use it for school work. I would move the computer to an area of the house where there is traffic and everyone can see what she is doing. Then I would take her cell phone away from her. When she cries about that, and what will she do if there is an emergency, well, there won't be an emergency, because she will be grounded for a month. I would only let her use the family phone once a week from 7:00 to 7:30 and only in front of the family. And when she gets mad and goes to her room and slams the bedroom door, I'd remove the door.

You have to get a handle on this now, and she needs to know who is the boss, and that all the worldly things she has right now, come from you. And you who giveth, can and will taketh away.
She has lost the trust you gave her, and now she has to earn it back. And that is a slow process. She has to earn the door to her room back, the cell phone back, etc.. When she realises that her life was better before she disobeyed, she will start seeing that you get to do more things and have more freedoms when you obey your parents.

The circumstances were way different, and not as serious as yours, but this worked like a charm on one of my kids.
Again, great parenting advice, but how do I impress upon my daughter that she's in mortal sin?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:14 pm
cargau cargau is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 637
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith0718 View Post
Believe me, we're putting our foot down. She probably we've locked her from our computer, cancelled her access to computer at the library, taken away her school issued laptop. She probably won't have an internet connection until she leaves home several years from now.

My question is not being answered. I'm putting my foot down. (The reason it wasn't put down earlier was because my wife, her mother is overly permissive and lax about enforcing rules). I can figure out how to put my foot down. What I can't figure out is how to impress upon her that she is--not in sin--but in MORTAL sin.
While awareness of sin, especially mortal sin is vital to our salvation, I am not sure it will resonate with your daughter. At some level, she probably knows it is offensive to you and thus wrong, still she persists. Telling her that she is in mortal sin will likely not get her to stop, as I suspect you are hoping. Still, you are closer to the situation. You feel that her faith is important to her and for that reason, it may cause her to pause...

Reading your post, the more immediate need is to get your wife on the same page with you. You must both speak with one unified voice. Your daughter senses the different perspectives and she is manipulating that reality against you.

I understand what you are going through and it is hard. Rest assured you have my prayers. I pass these thoughts along, not as a condemnation of your tactics but as one parent of teenage girls to another.

God Bless you and your family...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:21 pm
PaulinVA PaulinVA is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 7, 2007
Posts: 4,134
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

I think setting up the situation of "Obey me or you are going to Hell" tends to alienate a child from both the parents and from God.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:21 pm
Anna jane Anna jane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 22, 2009
Posts: 174
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Teenager in mortal sin?

The problem is, whether or not this is a mortal sin is not a question for some people on the internet to answer. We can't possibly know if she had full consent of the will, or if she thoroughly understood what she was doing. That will be determined during her confession according to the priest's judgement. It sounds like she already knows that disobedience should be mentioned in her next confession, I don't see that you need do any more on that front.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Tags
confession, mortal sin, parenting, teenagers

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3896Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3464Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.