Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 25, '10, 8:21 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default How to set the altar in preparation for Holy Mass

Forgive me if this is a repeated question!
I am interested in knowing if there is a manual or online instruction booklet that describes how the altar is to be set for daily Holy Mass, how to find readings of the day, liturgical color of the day, etc.
Thank you!

Annie
Old Sep 25, '10, 8:24 pm
Banned

Default Re: How to set the altar in preparation for Holy Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie8671 View Post
I am interested in knowing if there is a manual or online instruction booklet that describes how the altar is to be set for daily Holy Mass, how to find readings of the day, liturgical color of the day, etc.
Thank you!

Annie
The book 'The Anawim Way'.
Also I would ask your parish priest for further details, if you ever needed them.
Old Sep 25, '10, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Thank you!

Annie
If you'd like the liturgical color of the day (along with the saints' observances of the day, etc.), the USCCB general liturgical calendar is here. That calendar also tells you the readings in abbreviated notation, but you can get the entire readings here.

Hope this helps!

Old Sep 25, '10, 11:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Thank you!

Annie
A yearly guide is produced known as The Order of Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours and Celebration of the Eucharist or simply the Ordo. It provides the daily readings, Masses, daily liturgy of the hours readings, vestment colors, options, etc. They are tailored for a given area/metropolian. Here is one example:

http://www.zieglers.com/scripts/prod...FQsCbAodnBtM5Q I personally use the Paulist offering:
http://www.catholicsupply.com/churchs/ordo.html

The individual ordos themselves have order forms in them so you can also buy a copy through the mail directly from the publisher. They come out in the fall. Now is the time to order for the coming year.

I don't know of an on-line version although you sure would think there would be one. Entrepreneurs sell "e-ordos" for use on whatever sorta of electronic reader you might have.

[edited]

Last edited by Jean Anthony; Sep 26, '10 at 8:15 am. Reason: inflammatory comment
Old Sep 27, '10, 6:23 am
Observing Member

Thank you all! This has been very helpful!
There was another part to this question that I didn't make clear, but the question of how to set the altar, in other words, where does the missal go, the corporeal, chalice, etc. Is there something like a diagram for this?
Old Sep 27, '10, 6:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

if this is your responsibility in the parish the pastor or sacristan should instruct you

if you are asking for general knowledge or teaching students, there is a great booklet by Fr. McBride from OUr Sunday Visitor, Celebrating the Mass, that answers all these practical questions, and it has pictures.

If you are asking about e-versions of the ordo and liturgical books, I believe ltp.org has if not on-line versions for sale, CD-rom at least for the lectionary (liturgical training publications is the general source in the US for ritual books).
Old Sep 27, '10, 9:12 pm

I am assuming that you are asking about "dressing the Altar" for the OF Mass and not the EF Mass.

I couldn't find my copy of the GIRM to give you the information you are asking for. It is fairly well explain in the Instructions. It includes how many linens, candles with holders, etc.

I'm sure Benedictgal could give you all the chapter/verse that you need.
Old Sep 28, '10, 3:33 am
Forum Master

As puzzleannie said, if you are responsible for this someone in your parish should be training you.

In the Ordinary Form Mass the altar is very easy to dress:

White cloth,
At least two candles, on or near the altar
A crucifix if there is none near the altar.

Anything more is usually added at the Offertory and in our parish it's done thus:

Missal to the left, priest will adjust it to suit himself,
Corporal centered along the width and close to the edge on the side where the priest stands.
Chalice and purificator placed to the right of the corporal. If there is no Offertory Procession the paten or ciborium with the unconsecrated bread is placed near the chalice.

Anything else is usually brought in the Offertory procession and/or by the altar servers (ciborium, bread, wine, water, purificators, lavabo bowl, finger towels)
Old Sep 28, '10, 9:29 am
Observing Member

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I am looking for.
Our parish does it much differently, which is why I was asking around. I am only going to need to do it once every two months for a visiting priest, and wanted to set it correctly and without extra chalices since we are not going to need Extraordinary Ministers and there won't be altar servers.
I've seen Mass set up in such a way where the Chalice, corporeal, paten, water and wine, and missal were all set directly on the altar in the absence of an altar server, but could not remember where everything was placed.
Old Sep 28, '10, 9:51 am
Forum Master

Quote:
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I am looking for.
Our parish does it much differently, which is why I was asking around. I am only going to need to do it once every two months for a visiting priest, and wanted to set it correctly and without extra chalices since we are not going to need Extraordinary Ministers and there won't be altar servers.
I've seen Mass set up in such a way where the Chalice, corporeal, paten, water and wine, and missal were all set directly on the altar in the absence of an altar server, but could not remember where everything was placed.
In that case I'd place the wine fairly close the chalice and the water, bowl & finger towel farther to the right. Fr. will reach for them when he needs them.

For Masses without servers we have a small credence table that we place right next to the altar with everything on it so that nothing is ON the altar until it needs to be there.
Old Sep 28, '10, 9:53 am
Observing Member

Thank you

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments