Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 27, '10, 9:16 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Question How many Archangels are there?

Hey everyone. I was watching a Youtube video earlier that claimed that there are seven Archangels. Is this true? Besides the obvious Archangels Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael, what others are there and has the Church defined that these other Archangels really exist?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:02 am

Default Re: How many Archangels are there?

pope Gregory I said there are 7 im looking for a link

Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and the fallen Lucifer.

http://www.greatdreams.com/archangels.htm

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I was watching a Youtube video earlier that claimed that there are seven Archangels. Is this true? Besides the obvious Archangels Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael, what others are there and has the Church defined that these other Archangels really exist?
Along with the Archangels you list.. Lucifer was also an Archangel!

Holly The Angels have already been judged! Because they have been judged... they can't be rejudged... OR to put it in other words... They are 100% pure LOVE or in the case of the demons they are 100% pure Hate! Angels can't sit on the fence.. they can't be "Luke Warm", as man!

The Angels in heaven can't hate.. they have decided to follow God.. They have made their decision, they also, as man; Have "Free Will"! They are made in the Image of God... "God is LOVE"!

The Demons also have Free Will.. they decided to follow their own desires.. they have decided NOT to LOVE! They are NOT in the image of God, they are the opposite to God.. They are Pure Hate! Demons can NOT love, they would never ever, want to love!... They are pure hate!
Same with the Angels in heaven.. They are pure LOVE.. they could not hate, they would never, ever, want to hate!

Both Angels and the Demons have already been judged! We are next!!

Jude 1:9
But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

Holly The worst... Michael could say was.."The Lord rebuke you!"
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:12 am

Religion: Catholic circa 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogknox View Post
Do you have a source for that? I thought Lucifer was in a different choir of angel than Archangel, but I can't remember which one.
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:27 am

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
All ansvers that we have the right to know in this life,is in the Bible. And I know I will get a lot of angry catholics this way,but if I would have to choose a book about the Church,I would pick The Holy Bible. Many good books have been written,and they are needed,but all we need to know now is in The Bible. Like my [ateist] son say,"keep it simple",and that is best ansver a father can get from his own children,so lets keep it simple. Why ask things we don't need to know now,lets read the Bible,and thats it. Blessings,Totterman.
PS:Please pray for my first and best MySpace friend from Sayerwille NJ,her father is very ill and will die from cancer soon,help me out and pray for them,thanks.
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:37 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah25 View Post
Do you have a source for that? I thought Lucifer was in a different choir of angel than Archangel, but I can't remember which one.
Cherubim, if memory serves me correct.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Sep 27, '10, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah25 View Post

Good question.... I found it on a Protestant web site..... (stupid me)
Brethren Revival Fellowship
God’s Secret Service
Editorial
November/December 1997
Volume 32, Number 6

BUT.......
But thinking about your question......
Michael is an "Archangel" and it was Michael that gave Satan the boot! Michael was the one that cast Satan out of heaven..Would not it be Logical to deduce... They were at least equals!

Reading the Catholic Encyclopedia it seems the word "Lucifer" refers to his "Office" not his name! It was a Title meaning a; "Slanderer, or accuser"!

His name is Satan!
AND...
And the Church does not say one way or the other.. about Angles... all is speculation!
Old Sep 27, '10, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totterman View Post
Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
All ansvers that we have the right to know in this life,is in the Bible. And I know I will get a lot of angry catholics this way,but if I would have to choose a book about the Church,I would pick The Holy Bible. Many good books have been written,and they are needed,but all we need to know now is in The Bible. Like my [ateist] son say,"keep it simple",and that is best ansver a father can get from his own children,so lets keep it simple. Why ask things we don't need to know now,lets read the Bible,and thats it. Blessings,Totterman.
PS:Please pray for my first and best MySpace friend from Sayerwille NJ,her father is very ill and will die from cancer soon,help me out and pray for them,thanks.
I agree with you the bible is the word of god and the father spoke one word and that word was christ. Christ is the foundation of our church and our faith and becuase the entier bible is Christ in a way the bible should be the foundation of our faith

but I also think that the bible can't be fully understood by ourselves without any outside help this is why we need a church to tell us what to believe.

we also need to look to people who are older and wiser then us who have alot more experince in the faith and have gone through things that we will go through but may have not gone through

it is impossible to only read the bible and get the entire truth

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics