Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 30, '10, 11:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default I can't feel Gods love

Hi everyone!

I need your help, your advice and your prayers. Iím coming back to the church after a long absence. However I have a problem, I have a real difficulty feeling ďloveĒ Iíve never experienced it in my life, and consequently am convinced that I will never be able to experience it. I am struggling to stay commited to the church, and I think it is because I am unable to experience Godís love, and am concerned that I never will.

What can I do that might help me experience the love of God?
ďAmerica is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society.Ē Peter Kropotkin
Old Oct 1, '10, 12:06 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: I can't feel Gods love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Hi everyone!

I need your help, your advice and your prayers. Iím coming back to the church after a long absence. However I have a problem, I have a real difficulty feeling ďloveĒ Iíve never experienced it in my life, and consequently am convinced that I will never be able to experience it. I am struggling to stay commited to the church, and I think it is because I am unable to experience Godís love, and am concerned that I never will.

... my dear friend ...

... as i see it everything is love and all is god or is in god or god is in all and all relates to god in all and many ways ,,, everything is love when taken to the empth for the ultimate conclusion dear friend ,,, every conceivable piece of knowledge , experience , question , anything and everything is love and the ultimate answer is love ,,, sounds simplistic but perfection is infinitely simple ,,, so whenever you experience absolutely anything and everything you experience love ,,, and this is a foretaste of god who = love ,,, here - we have a mixture of hell , purgatory , limbo and heaven --- you can start to experiene heaven here to a degree if your in garace and have passed largely or completely through purgatory and limbo - nuns and monks dedicate their lives to striving to do this --- prayer and sacrifices and especially holy mass and the sacraments are the key that can give you some heaven on earth , and heaven is the ultimate experience of love , in it we experience infinite love and only want to love god who is love back ,,, do you like ice cream or anything ??? does anything make you feel good ??? this like all experiences is an experience of gods love ,,, you may have problems healthwise such as depression i don't know ,,, if so see your dr ,,, but every conceivable experience is an experience of gods love or love , even hell , purgatory , evil , sin , suffering and the lot when taken to the empth for its ultimate conclusion is an experience of gods love - love ,,, perhaps psychologically you are blocking yourself from experiencing gods love --- this is common in your situation ,,, god is infinite and eternal living love and in a sense we are too - so god can and does only - love , this is what god and absolutely everything and anything is - just " love " ,,, i'll leave it at that , i hope it helps , all and all experiences are of gods love - love ,,, hang in there and persevere in prayer and the bad times will end - same with the good times when they come - we think they will never change , bad will be bad forever and same with the good times - but it always changes ,,, maybe god is showing you his love by making you feel your need for his love right now - urging you on and encouraging you towards himself who is love ,,, do your purgatory and heaven awaits - don't worry about anything ever - just do your best and love god and all will work out in the end no matter what ...

... blessings and peace to you ...

... john ...
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Oct 1, '10, 12:59 am

Default Re: I can't feel Gods love

I'm curious as to why you feel you have never experienced love in your life and how it relates to your relationship with God. Did you not feel loved by your parents and have you possibly closed your heart because of the pain?

I think something you can do to help you experience the love of God is to consider and meditate on some facts about God and his relationship to you.

1. He knew you and formed you before your birth. No one knows you and accepts you like He does. He knows your flaws and your failings and still accepts you and wants the best for you. He made you and knows what your needs are and He will supply your needs. He is supplying your needs even if it doesn't feel like it right now. He is a Father to you who will never leave you. A brother and friend. And a guidance counselor who will see you through things you don't know how to handle. It doesn't matter too much if you don't feel the love, because He is loving you. You will look back and see that even if you don't see it right now and then you will be able to feel the love.

2. He sent his only son to not only die for you, but to be resurrected for you. He did this because he wants you close to him and wanted to remove any barriers to love between you.

3. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to comfort you and teach you how to love and give you gifts that every human needs in order to love others and God. Pray for the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

4. God created a wonderful world for you to live in. Experience His love by taking time to appreciate it. Really look at the wonder of trees, birds, children. Take walks in nature, if you can, or sit on a beach or near a lake and feel the pleasure of God's gifts. For me, sometimes just looking up at the sky, especially when there are beautiful clouds or a stunning sunset, makes me feel closer to God and lets me know He is out there looking down on me and thinking about me like I am thinking of Him. I think He wants us each to appreciate His creation and realize that it was made with a perfect plan just for us. I see that as love.

One way I can feel the love of God is to praise him, especially in song. When you are in Mass, if possible, try to free your mind from other thoughts and maybe close your eyes for a while and think about just feeling a spirit of praise. Raise your hands a bit in prayer, if you are not too reserved. It helps to free you from your own concerns.

Last edited by CAROLOFTHEBELLS; Oct 1, '10 at 1:18 am.
Old Oct 1, '10, 1:27 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: I can't feel Gods love

... my dear friend ...

... i was a bit remiss in my hasty reply and forgot to mention that the ultimate experience of gods love is found in grace which is gods love or love ,,, the more grace you have in your soul the more love you have in your soul ,,, the more love you have in your soul the greater your capacity to love - then you will not only experience love but have the capacity to love god back with the love he gives you - indeed the ability to love is contingent on the amount of love in ones soul -- so perhaps really open up your heart , mind and soul to god and ask him to fill you with his love and help you to respond in like ,,, it is loving that gives us the happiness we seek and to love we must be loved - we receive this love from god which is god - primarily by attendance at holy mass and the very frequent reception of the sacraments - especially the bread of angels in holy communion and the sacrament of merciful love - confession , also - by prayer , sacrifices and charitable good works ,,, fill yourself with love then you'll experience that love for sure ,,, hope it helps , your in my prayers - remember me too please ...

... blessings , peace and love to you ...

... john ...
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Oct 1, '10, 5:10 am

Hello SouthernCross,

I may have discovered why you are feeling the way you do. I read your comment, then I read your signature / banner at the bottom. It seems that you have looked around at a lot of different things in the world and realised the sad state the world is in. This is realising the truth and you don't feel very comfortable. That is a good sign, because it is making you start to think about God. Remember, God's way and the worlds way are at odds with each other. As Jesus said, "you will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other". You can't belong to both.

Mother Theresa felt God's love every time she held one of the poverty stricken people in her arms, in Calcutta. She said that she had a special place for being with God in a small place in her mind that she could go to, away from everything and just focus on God. You seem to be searching for this feeling but searching in the wrong manner. And let me tell you, with all the noise in the world, it makes it more and more difficult.

To help you, I suggest you pick up a book on a recently canonised saint such as Padre Pio or Blessed Mother Theresa and read about their lives. In reading about their lives, you will see what it means to experience God's love. Adopt their humble attitude in your own life and try to live a similar Godly life as they did and you will come to experience a love greater than any. Know that you have responded to God by coming back to the church. That's the Holy Spirit at work in you. Now ask God for his continual help in directing you through the practice of prayer and penance. Remember that TRUSTING in God is the key now. Accept any situation humbly and live that Godly life that he wants you to live.

God Bless.
Old Oct 1, '10, 5:56 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi everyone!

A few suggestions ...

1. To quote St. Francis' prayer ... "it is in giving we receive". Or to paraphrase Our Lord, "He who gives his love in this life will find it". It's a paradox. "if we give it away, don't we lose what we have?" That's why it takes faith. We trust that the little love we have will grow -- by sharing it.

So, we can find some ways to give love. The easiest choice is to see the person who is vulnerable and can benefit from your help. Children could use your leadership. Elderly people need friendship.

2. Blessed are they who know their need for God. Blessed are they who know they need to be saved.

What do we experience when we recognize this need? Gratitude. Thanks to God for saving us. Then what? We'll "feel the love".

3. We love him by keeping the Commandments.
For every one of us, there is always an obstacle here.
Love flows to and from God in a "channel" of grace. But our moral failings are blockages for that channel.
How do we unblock the channel?
Along with prayer and trying to do good, don't forget a little bit of penance/sacrifice.
Again, it's a paradox. In penance, we find joy. Huh?? Yes, that's the way it works.
Not too much, not excessive or degrading or public ... but a little bit can work wonders.

Finally, if you aim at the experience, then it will elude you.
If you aim at knowing Him, and admiring Him -- then realizing He is your true friend, the experience will come without you knowing.

... and by then, you'll realize that the experience is not the true measure of how much He loves you and how much you love Him.
Old Oct 1, '10, 6:07 am
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

"am convinced that I will never be able to experience it"

Forgive, forgive, and forgive again the people in your life who were incapable of showing you love.

They suffer, as you suffer.

Decide in your mind, allow sparks of love into your heart and then find ways to show people you love them.

We are our Trinity's hands, feet and heart
Old Oct 1, '10, 10:24 am
Forum Master

"God can not be grasped, except through love."

From the author of "The Cloud of Unknowing."

Jim
Old Oct 1, '10, 11:29 am

Mother Teresa didn't "feel" God's love for 50 years. From an article about that:

"Most people, however, also assume that being a saint means living in the assurance of God's love. And, for many saints throughout history, it has. But some of the greatest saintsóespecially those devoted, as Mother Teresa was, to Christ on the Crossóhave suffered through what St. John of the Cross called "the dark night of the soul": a sense of loss, of abandonment, of the absence of God. The dark night is not the same as a lack of belief, though it may be a lack of faith, that supernatural grace that St. Paul describes in Hebrews 11:1 as "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

http://catholicism.about.com/b/2007/...f-the-soul.htm

The article goes on to say:

"St. John of the Cross saw the dark night of the soul, not as an actual abandonment by God, but as an expression of His love, that helped perfect the soul by purging it of all of its remaining attachment to spiritual faults and earthly things. While she could not see it herself, perhaps Mother Teresa's dark night was her reward for submitting herself fully to the will of her Lord."

Our society and culture bases so much on "feeling." If we don't "feel" something, then it can't be true. But I ask you, how can you look at Jesus Christ on the Cross, pouring out his Precious Blood for you, and not believe that he loves you? How can you read the story of his crucifixion and not know that the Great God of the universe loves you more than you can ever imagine, or the story of his birth in a manger among the filfth and smell of barn animals, born with nothing, forced to flee from Herod who wanted to kill him, of Christ's persecution on this earth, all of which he suffered because of his love for us? Forget about your "feelings", they are untrustworthy and will betray you more times than not. Think about what you know is true. And if you give it honest thought, you know that God loves you, that if you were the only person on earth, Christ would have suffered and died just as he did, with no changes, because he wants you with him for all eternity.

Let me ask you this - does God "feel" your love?

Discussion about God risks losing its interior strength, and witness withers, if not animated, sustained and accompanied by prayer.
Pope Benedict XVI
Old Oct 1, '10, 2:12 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

You could consider going on a pilgimage. Many people have deep encounters with God while on pilgrimage. Just make sure you trust in Him. I once read that in order to be able to love God you must trust him.
Old Oct 1, '10, 5:12 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

(part 1 of 2)

Quote:
Hi everyone!

first i think it's important to stop thinking of this as a "problem", because it really is not a problem,

Although you may "feel" that you are loved, love itself is not a feeling, feelings can come from it, but love itself is an act of the will,
It is the will to do good for someone, or to please someone, either by sharing something of your own with them, or by doing something for them that they want,
there are two kinds of love, love of concupiscence, which is the love of someone for your own sake, because they are useful or pleasant to you,
and then there is the love of benevolence, which is a selfless love by which you love a person for their own sake, for their own good and to please them.
love of concupiscence is not bad necessarily, but it is an imperfect love, and can be bad under certain circumstance,
the love of benevolence is the love that we should have for God and for our neighbor, it is the perfect love also known as Charity,

the reason it is important not to look at love simply as a feeling, is because we should be aware at all times, in any situation, of the love we owe to God,
no matter how you feel, no matter what mood you are in or what troubles you are going through, you can always show your love to God, and as long as you have enough control over yourself to love God in all things, then you can see much clearer how God loves you at all times, even if you can't feel Gods love, He is always showing His love to you, it is simply our weak inclinations towards evil and our being slaves to our passions that blind us to Gods love.

and it is in those moments when you are feeling down or feeling moody or going through troubles that you truly prove your love to God,
anyone can be good and "charitable" with ease when they feel like it, but it's when things get hard that you are really tested, it is then that you prove, not just to God but to yourself, that it is God you love, and not just the good feelings and consolations He gives you.
that is also why it can be dangerous to become dependent on such good feelings, because then instead of being good and following the commandments and "loving" your neighbor for the sake of the love of God, you do it all for the good feelings...and that is simply not going to work out well in the end.

The love of God i am speaking of though is not a natural love that we can obtain on our own, instead it is a supernatural love, which can only be infused into our souls by God,
this supernatural love of God consists firstly in giving ourselves to God in the desire to belong entirely to Him, secondly, in the wish and ardent desire to please Him by fulfilling His will, and thirdly, in the wish to be united with Him for ever and ever.

What you must realize in your love for God, is not that you should feel His love, but that you should see it, you should see in all things how He loves you, what He has done for you, and love Him not simply because of what you have received, but because He truly deserves your love, and you owe it to Him for the least of what you have received from Him,
of course you might wonder, how do i love God?
well, as we are told in the bible - "He that hath my commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me"
that means, you must have an active love for God,
our love is active when we do what is acceptable to God, such as keeping His commandments,
our love is inactive when it is simply expressed in our words instead of our hearts, it is like a body without a soul - dead,
we are told by St. Paul in this matter - "If I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not charity, i should be as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal"
or in another part of the bible we are told - "Not every one that saith to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doth the will of My Father who is in heaven."
in other words, God is not impressed with fancy words, which are only cold and empty while you do nothing to actually show your love.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Oct 1, '10, 5:13 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

(part 2 of 2)

you can increase in your love for God by several means, some of which are, thinking of Him frequently, because by thinking of Him and praying to Him and just spending time alone with Him in contemplation, we are reminded of His perfections and His goodness towards us, and by that the desire to be united with Him will be excited in us. that desire will lead to the resolution for that wish to someday be realized, and since that is not possible on our own, so then we must also pray to God and implore His grace.
also we increase in our love for God by doing and suffering everything for His sake, and uniting our sufferings with the sufferings of Jesus Christ,
just thinking of the great love of Jesus for us by which He suffered immensely and died for love of us, should inspire greater love in us for Him.

also, if you wish to increase in your love for God, you should seriously and perseveringly avoid all sins, venial and mortal, no matter how small they may be, because it is by venial sins that our love for God is lessened, and it is by mortal sins that it is lost,
and in either case, if you are letting yourself sin, then you are not increasing in love,
of course there are many times when we are not aware of our sins, and in that case it's not the same as when we knowingly and even purposely sin,
we are lessened in our love for God by a lack of caring, and not by an ignorance of our sins, which many times cannot be helped, but even still, we must always strive to learn what are sins and what sins we have, because to purposely avoid finding out about a sin we might be committing, is a sin itself.

another means to increase in your love for God, is communion, and Eucharistic adoration,
of course you receive many extra special graces from communion, but that's another subject.

so basically, what is important is not feeling Gods love, but proving your love to Him,
and your love for Him is something you will grow in for the rest of your life, even after death you will always love Him more and more, so never let yourself be content with the love you have for Him,
of course God will let you feel His love at times, maybe more often than not, maybe not so often, because everyone is different and has different needs, and God knows what's best for us,
but the important thing to consider is that God already loves you and shows His love to you, even if you don't feel it,
so then it's not feeling Gods love that you must work on, but instead increasing in your love for Him, and proving your love to Him, especially when you don't feel like it,
the effort must be on your part, God will give you the inspiration and motivation, but you must act,
that is why God gave us a free will, because if we do not choose to love God of our own free will, then it is not genuine, and if it is not genuine, then it is not love at all,
so if anyone asks why God did not just force us to love Him, that is why, because it would not even be love that way, and because God is love, so it is just impossible.

well, i'm sorry for writing so much, but before i stop i just want to say,
to want to feel Gods love for you is not a bad thing, but it should simply not be your goal, let your goal first be to know, love, and serve God, and then those kinds of things will follow if God sees fitting, and don't tell yourself that you will never feel His consolations, because if God wants you to, you will, it is in His power to do so, and it has nothing to do with you because you do not have such powers.

God already loves you very much, you know that, but now is your time to learn to love Him, it is a learning process that you must be patient with, you will grow in your love for God, as long as you take the necessary actions to do so.

well, here are some things i think will further help you in understanding Gods love, plus some more i think you will also like -
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/vie...php?t=18087275
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/vie...php?t=18175319
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/vie...php?t=13047493
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewforum.php?f=211197
http://www.audiosancto.org/
http://www.alabamacatholicresources.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/AFaithfu...1A7A1EB7543269

ok, hope this helps, take care.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Oct 1, '10, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholicism

Pray,Pray,Pray, God so loved the world.....? that's you....+++ so absorb Scripture and be obedient, sacrifice your struggles....give thanks and pray always....Prayers sent ....(1 Cor 2:4-5) Deo Gracious... Dominus Vobiscum... "Praise be Jesus"
Old Oct 1, '10, 8:30 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

If what you are experiencing is because you have not had unconditional love given to you by another human, especially a father, I can relate to that. How can you "know" what you have never known? My father was a violent, abusive alcoholic who was incapable of showing any love. He never told me he loved me nor did he touch his children with any affection. Subsequently, there are times when I think of God with much fear.......feeling that he will reject and abandon me or that I am too "bad" or "sinful" for him to love. Regardless of what you "know" about God in your mind (that he is good, loving, forgiving, etc...) if you have never experienced a parent's love, how can you "feel" it? If this is your experience, I think that the pain is so great that we build up walls that keep God's love out. By persevering in prayer, receiving the sacraments and reading Scripture, I believe the wall can be knocked down. It may take a long time, and it may help to have someone guide you on the journey (a priest or Christian counselor maybe). It has been so helpful to me to go to confession. Fortunately, I have a very kind, loving priest to show me Jesus' forgiveness. I have been searching for that "feeling" for a long while and it can be very discouraging when we don't get an answer, however, we must all "take up our cross" and persevere. I hope this helps......I will pray that you find God's peace and love.
Old Oct 1, '10, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Hi everyone!

My heart aches for you. You are in a dark place that God is trying to break through. Let Him. Take yourself out in nature and observe the beauty that God created for you. Hug your favorite pet, volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, grieve with someone who has had a loss. God's love is all around you, you just need to step outside of yourself and feel it. It might be difficult at first, but the more you open your heart to God and listen to his promptings, the more you will be able to feel His Love. Also know that God knows each of us intimately, faults and all, and still He calls us to be close to Him. He has counted all the hairs on your head and has carved you on the palm of His Hand. You are precious to Him.

I will be praying for you, friend. Please pray for me as well.

God Bless~
Mary

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality