Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '10, 8:59 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.
Question How do I know if I God is testing me?

Today I've just received extremely bad news, and I have been made to feel worse than a dog's excretion. I recall months ago I had prayed the rosary numerous amount of times, yet to no avail, for this situation to be mitigated. I'm considering going back to Agnosticism, or even making an entire U-turn and becoming an "Rebellious Atheist". How does one actually discern whether God is is testing an individual or not as Scripture remarks that God will never test us beyond our capacity, but surely, this is beyond what I'm capable of coping with (I feel highly suicidal at times).

In short, how does one discern whether God is actually testing an individual? I'm below the age of 20 if that counts for anything...

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Oct 4, '10, 10:20 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do I know if I God is testing me?

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
First,I am sorry for the bad news,I realy are. Then,when God is testing You,You will know. Pray my son,pray hard.
Blessings,Totterman
Old Oct 4, '10, 10:32 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
Today I've just received extremely bad news, and I have been made to feel worse than a dog's excretion. I recall months ago I had prayed the rosary numerous amount of times, yet to no avail, for this situation to be mitigated. I'm considering going back to Agnosticism, or even making an entire U-turn and becoming an "Rebellious Atheist". How does one actually discern whether God is is testing an individual or not as Scripture remarks that God will never test us beyond our capacity, but surely, this is beyond what I'm capable of coping with (I feel highly suicidal at times).

In short, how does one discern whether God is actually testing an individual? I'm below the age of 20 if that counts for anything...

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
From the sounds of it, you're faith isn't strong enough for God to test you.

First off, faith requires that we surrender ourselves to God, and place all of our trust in Him.

When we pray the Lord's Prayer, we say, "lead us not into temptation." Originally, this was 'do not put us to the test." The test in Hebrew understanding was the final test which would make or break us.

However, in the Lord's prayer we trust that God hears us, and that he will not put us to a make or break test concerning our faith.

The only source for faith is Jesus Christ. If you desire faith, turn to him in prayer and ask, but ask with the condition that you will surrender every part of your being to him.

Remember one thing. Faith is the revelation of God himself to us, however that may happen.

Religion is our responce to that faith.

Jim
Old Oct 4, '10, 10:40 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
From the sounds of it, you're faith isn't strong enough for God to test you.

First off, faith requires that we surrender ourselves to God, and place all of our trust in Him.
I like your response. I know my faith isn't as strong as what it should ideally be, but this does seem like a test. I've been knocking on God's door now for around 3-4 months now, without any "definite" response. I just have this notion that God is standing by to see how long I'll keep knocking whilst my life goes down the drain.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Oct 4, '10, 10:46 am
Forum Master

Quote:
I like your response. I know my faith isn't as strong as what it should ideally be, but this does seem like a test. I've been knocking on God's door now for around 3-4 months now, without any "definite" response. I just have this notion that God is standing by to see how long I'll keep knocking whilst my life goes down the drain.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
What is it you're expecting from God?

Jim
Old Oct 4, '10, 11:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
What is it you're expecting from God?

Jim
It's an extremely long story (I sometimes chuckle when I say this because it really is) and I feel as if I'm only one who'll ever understand it. That said, let's just say that I am expecting God to give me a stable tenure at school

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Oct 4, '10, 11:56 am

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

Something very important for growth in the spiritual life is to pray that we might conform our wills to God's will, rather than that He will conform His will to our wills. Submission, humility, is crucial. We often think we know what is best for our lives, but in reality, God knows what is best and we are ignorant enough to make a lot of mistakes about it -- and then blame God when He disagrees with us or when our ideas and desires fall apart.

We have a guarantee that God will always seek what is best for us. We don't have a guarantee that we, who are ignorant humans, will always agree with God's view or understand it. God often tore the saints down, making their earthly lives fall apart, because doing this caused them to abandon their own wills and choose God's will above their own. Then, choosing His will first, they became conformed to His will, and in His will and His way, they found all the joy and fulfillment of their lives.

We always pray in the Lord's Prayer, "Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be Done, on Earth as it is In Heaven." We are all God's servants. We often desire earthly things very much, but if we abandon them for God's sake, then we will find God and what is best and most fulfilling in life, which might not be what we expect it to be. Remember that some of the most impoverished people on Earth are also some of the most fulfilled and happy. Earthly possessions do not create lasting or spiritual happiness.

St. Francis of Assisi, for instance, was the poorest of the poor, yet spiritually, he was the richest of the rich, filled with joy beyond our comprehension. The Scripture says, "Blessed are the poor." It is possible that, if God does not give you the stable tenure, He is withholding it from you in order to bless you the more. When people have what they want in life, they often don't make room in their lives for God or put Him first. This situation gives you an opportunity to put Him first in your life, to say to Him, "Please make Yourself more important to me than this tenure, so that I might love you with my whole heart and soul, and in you find the true meaning of life."
Old Oct 4, '10, 11:56 am

Religion: Catholic..Traditional

Quote:
It's an extremely long story (I sometimes chuckle when I say this because it really is) and I feel as if I'm only one who'll ever understand it. That said, let's just say that I am expecting God to give me a stable tenure at school

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
I've been praying to God to win lotto for years now. And to give me a job i've always wanted. But unless you're a saint. Or you're part of some grand plan. God doesn't grant wishes. And i think. Having a cry and issuing threats of "not believing anymore" Will probably make your "wish" even less likely.
Old Oct 4, '10, 12:01 pm

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

As I said in my last post, God wants us to conform our wills to His will, rather than to conform His will to our wills. For if He conforms His will to our wills, we don't improve at all, spiritually. We remain the same. He comes down to our level rather than bringing us up to His. But the more unified we are with His perspective, the more holy we become, the more our prayers are answered, because we ask the right things more often and ask more worthily.

I talked about this more in my previous post; it's very important, so I hope some of you read that post.
Old Oct 4, '10, 12:01 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_rite View Post
I've been praying to God to win lotto for years now. And to give me a job i've always wanted. But unless you're a saint. Or you're part of some grand plan. God doesn't grant wishes. And i think. Having a cry and issuing threats of "not believing anymore" Will probably make your "wish" even less likely.
But the thing is, is that I personally don't believe my petition is anything like winning the lotto or getting a job that one has always wanted. Like I said, it is an incredibly long story. I say "stable tenure at school", but the underpinnings behind it are quite profound. It's a shame I can't write it here on the forums because it is extremely complicated. And when I say complicated, I really mean it.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Oct 4, '10, 12:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_rite View Post
And i think. Having a cry and issuing threats of "not believing anymore" Will probably make your "wish" even less likely.
I don't really think I'm having a "cry" per se. But yes indeed, I really do wish to experience God in the same way some CAF users have described, and so my heart cries out in that respect. But when you've tried virtually every prayer and nothing seems to change, one has to eventually come to a conclusion that enough is enough and perhaps God simply is not interested in what you have to say. In fact, Albert Einstein defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". How can I continue to keep praying if the result will always be the same: Silence?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Oct 4, '10, 12:45 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
But perhaps what you're expecting and God's will are not in sync?

Following Christ means aligning our will with God's.

Jim
Old Oct 5, '10, 7:13 am

Hi Eugene,
It sounds like you have gotten some good advice from the other posters. I would like to add just one more thing. From your writings I get the impression that you are beating your head against a wall about this situation. It could be that God is trying to answer your prayers but you are to busy fretting and wondering to see or hear. I say this because I have done that very same behavior myself. I've gotten mad at God for not hearing me or answering me etc. Well, what I finally learned (the hard way) was when I get to a point of frustration, I check myself and say "Lord, I give up ". " I don't know what to do, but I know you do and I put it in your hands and I will try not to pick it up anymore". Please show me what I need to do/or not do in this matter (situation, problem, etc.) It could be that He's growing you spiritually while you're through this. Just don't give up. A bad day with Jesus is better then a good day without Him!

p.s. As a side note, I have a situation in my life that's been going on for two years. I've learned a lot about myself in the process of "waiting" for it to come to a close. Something to think about.
Old Oct 5, '10, 9:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
I'm sorry about what happened to you. I think whenever something bad happens to us, it is a test, or God wants to use it somehow to help us spiritually (if we respond to His grace, as He doesn't force us to respond). I don't see this explanation being at all less probable than atheism.. rather, it's an explanation of suffering and why God allows it. We don't know God's plans. There are many times when He has brought good out of suffering, and the good I'm talking about could be a spiritual grace, such as growing in faith or trust (by choosing to trust in difficult times). God bless you

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Oct 5, '10, 9:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I don't really think I'm having a "cry" per se. But yes indeed, I really do wish to experience God in the same way some CAF users have described, and so my heart cries out in that respect. But when you've tried virtually every prayer and nothing seems to change, one has to eventually come to a conclusion that enough is enough and perhaps God simply is not interested in what you have to say. In fact, Albert Einstein defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". How can I continue to keep praying if the result will always be the same: Silence?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Jesus said we must persevere in prayer, because a prayer can be answered only after some time. That's where Einstein's rule doesn't apply. God isn't subject to our rules.

God hears every prayer... why do you think that He is not interested in what you have to say, or doesn't love you, after He died for you on the Cross? When we feel far from God, it is either because we have moved away from Him, or because He is giving this trial to us for our spiritual growth. It is never because He has left us. Jesus even said this to the Saints in private revelations, such as Divine Mercy.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/church...vinemercy1.htm

Try to think of the Cross and remember that... we know God's love primarily by the Cross, not by our experiences, feelings, consolations, etc. "Blessed are those who have not seen yet believed". It's one thing to believe in God when He is giving us consolations.. it's another thing to trust Him when everything seems to be going badly and God seems far away. But that is how we grow in heroic virtue and love. We don't grow in faith when it's easy to have faith.

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality