Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 7, '10, 5:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic college hosting Tarot Card and Palm readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
As part of a "Fall Fest" day long program at my Catholic college taking place in late October, there will be "Tarot Card Readings and Palmistry." I have voiced my concerns and explained why things such as tarot cards and palm readings are sins according to the Catholic Church. The response I was given was that it was "harmless fun" and that the people doing the tarot card readings and palm readings will be "acting and it is just for show."

I still don't like the idea of a Catholic College encouraging its students to take part in the occult. Should I continue to object to this and pursue it further, or am I overreacting and simply should let it be?
Tarot was, and still is, a card game that's *not* condemned by the Catechism. (I'm referring to the card game, not the occultism of it.) When you talk with the provost, you should provide the historical reference that it's a card game:
http://www.gameoftarot.com/

You can also do a CAF search for "tarot" and "games." Good luck.

Edited to add:
The Penguin Book of Card Games
By David Parlett
Penguin 2008 ISBN-10: 0141037873 ISBN-13: 978-0141037875

Previously published in 2000 as the Penguin Encyclopedia of Card Games, this is an essential book and the only mainstream title that I know of to include the rules for tarot games. Without doubt, David Parlett is the best of all writers on card games, providing the rules with clarity, detail, authority, and an enthusiasm for his subject. Every family should have a book of card games - make this one yours. You will never need another. As regards the inclusion of tarot, there are a number of games, including some simple Italian ones, the ever popular French game, and best of all my favourite, Ottocento.

and

A History of Games played with the Tarot Pack Volumes One & Two
By Michael Dummett and John McLeod
Edwin Mellen Press 2004
Volume One ISBN 0 7734 6447 6
Volume Two ISBN 0 7734 6449 2
Supplement from Maproom Publications 2009 ISBN 978 0 9562370 0 2

Edwin Mellen Press is an academic publisher that specializes in supplying academic libraries and their web site states that they expect to sell only about 500 copies of a book in its lifetime. Consequently, these are not widely available and are very costly. These volumes serve to update and expand the work on the card games and their development given in The Game of Tarot. Although the work is limited to just this part of tarot’s history, there is no more substantial source of tarot games in the English Language - or quite possibly, any language.

The first supplement to this work has now been published and is only available from the associated website www.tarotgame.org where it can also be downloaded without charge in pdf format. It includes a few corrections, usually expanding on the original text with new information, along with some significant new games – including some of those played in the United States.

Old Oct 7, '10, 6:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

They are not playing a card game with Tarot cards. They are doing Tarot Card Readings, as advertised in the schedule. This is occult tarot, not a pack of 78 cards used to play French Tarot.

I request the prays of everyone here as I have my meeting tomorrow. I have social anxiety issues, and so this was very hard for me to do, and will be even harder for me to meet with the Provost in person and present my concerns.
Old Oct 7, '10, 7:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
They are not playing a card game with Tarot cards. They are doing Tarot Card Readings, as advertised in the schedule. This is occult tarot, not a pack of 78 cards used to play French Tarot.

I request the prays of everyone here as I have my meeting tomorrow....
you got it!
Old Oct 7, '10, 7:45 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

I think I quoted myself here, sorry.

Last edited by hamburglar; Oct 7, '10 at 7:59 pm.
Old Oct 7, '10, 7:56 pm
Banned

I must confess that I read no responses to this post. Christ made it very clear that these things are not of God. These things never have any place near Gods Church. Talk to your parish priest and tell him again, and again. If he does nothing than call your Bishop. I am positive he should not approve. Things like these need to be rooted out of our family, quickly.
Satan loves to use the excuse of "good fun" to get his agenda fulfilled, he always lies, and so do his helpers. Wizards, witchcraft, spellbinders, etc. They all use this world (which belongs to the devil himself) to convince people that his world is better than Gods truth.
None of us is sinless enough to know when we can innocently use these "powers".

ccross
Old Oct 8, '10, 12:15 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw View Post
Colleges run on hierarchies of command.

"I have voiced my concerns and explained why things such as tarot cards and palm readings are sins according to the Catholic Church."

Go one step farther up the chain of command and hand them a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity
Why are Catholic colleges getting into this?
Old Oct 8, '10, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbang View Post
lol, this is ridiculous. This is all in good fun.

And I am sure this is going to be the exact response you are going to get from whoever you talk to.
No.
Someone in religious authority must put a hard brake down here.
Divination and magical practices have no business in a Church institution.
These things open doors that can be extremely hard to close.
I pray for the petitioner's success.
Old Oct 10, '10, 10:14 am
Forum Supporter

Hamburgler is assured of my prayers...you are storing up treasures in Heaven....even if you are unsuccesful the Lord will reward your faithfulness.

To anyone who says this is Harmless fun...the occult?

Try telling that to those potentially (i still pray for universal salvation ) frying in hell as a result of new age/occultist praxis.
Old Oct 10, '10, 3:18 pm

[quote=

Try telling that to those potentially (i still pray for universal salvation ) frying in hell as a result of new age/occultist praxis.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so you've seen or talked to these people that are"frying in Hell" and know they're there?
Old Oct 10, '10, 3:53 pm

Quote:
As part of a "Fall Fest" day long program at my Catholic college taking place in late October, there will be "Tarot Card Readings and Palmistry." I have voiced my concerns and explained why things such as tarot cards and palm readings are sins according to the Catholic Church. The response I was given was that it was "harmless fun" and that the people doing the tarot card readings and palm readings will be "acting and it is just for show."

I still don't like the idea of a Catholic College encouraging its students to take part in the occult. Should I continue to object to this and pursue it further, or am I overreacting and simply should let it be?
I think there is a very big difference between playing with ouiji boards and bringing in bogus tarot card and palm readers as part of Fall Fest, which includes Halloween. I just wouldn't participate if it bothers you that much.

But for what it's worth, if it bothers you that much, of course you can complain, as high up as you want. But IMOHO (since you asked), I think you're blowing it way out of proportion and giving way too much attention to it. Those things *are* "just for show". They're not real. You're giving them way too much credence.....
Old Oct 10, '10, 4:00 pm

Quote:

I request the prays of everyone here as I have my meeting tomorrow. I have social anxiety issues, and so this was very hard for me to do, and will be even harder for me to meet with the Provost in person and present my concerns.
I will pray for you, because I think it's very brave for you to try to tackle your social anxiety issues. What better way than to fight for something you believe in. Just bring a copy of the CCC, say a prayer to the Holy Spirit before you go to speak to him, and be polite and non-confrontational. You can do it because it means that much to you. If you get no where, contact your Bishop, and then after that, give it to God.

Even though I think this is harmless, I wish you luck Hamburglar, and I'll pray for you
Old Oct 11, '10, 6:05 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:

Such should not be done...and even "just for fun" it is not good and can open the door even to demonic influences etc...(Exorcists will tell you...)

Such should not happen. Period.
Old Oct 11, '10, 10:35 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongexpected View Post
Oh, so you've seen or talked to these people that are"frying in Hell" and know they're there?
If you read my post I used the word 'potentially' and also stated that I pray for universal salvation.

I do not retract my point though. New age practices are an invitation to malevolent spirits (a.k.a demons from hell) who will stop at nothing to lead a soul to perdition

Last edited by John of Woking; Oct 11, '10 at 10:51 am.
Old Oct 11, '10, 11:51 am
Banned

Quote:

Alright, compa. How did it go?
Old Oct 11, '10, 1:13 pm
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoehmke View Post
Horsing around with the demonic is not an innocent pastime. Search the forum on ouija boards for some info on what can happen with this "innocent" messing around. I suppose they are too sophisticated to believe that demons do really exist and can use such things to serve their purposes. They would not have an innocent kissing booth because of the remote possibility that it might spread an STD. Why do this? Continue to press the issue.

Indeed. Being a "catholic college" it can safely be assumed few if any of the staff are burdened with Christianity and will regard the occult as stuff from the movies.

In the situation I would formally register my complaint, advise friends not to engage with it and then carry on.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology